Four conductor power connectors?
Nov 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the midst of building a 3 ch. beta 22, and I am looking for solid power connectors for connecting the sigma 22 to the beta. I have searched, but come up more or less empty. This is the first time that I have used power connectors so I'd appreciate help from the experienced. Any suggestions on good quality, robust connectors are appreciated. I have read about connectors from both amphenol and neutrik but I am not really sure what I should be looking for.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 23
I think you will be well pleased with the Amphenol eco|mate connectors.
My β22 are equipped with those and they feel solid built and sturdy. Top quality parts...

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 23
or use the 4-pole speakons. they should have more than enough current-handling for the job, and have 4 connections. they are very strong twist-locks, and sound good. they seem to work well for balanced output signal connection as well- but if you use the same connector for both- be careful when you make your external connections!

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another option is the Neutrik powercon series of connectors. Don't be fooled into thinking they only have 3 connections, it's 4.

Neutrik - Audio - powerCON

I actually saw those neutrik ones but disregarded them because it said they have only 3 connections. Thanks much.

The ecomate are interesting as well. Thanks everyone.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually saw those neutrik ones but disregarded them because it said they have only 3 connections. Thanks much.

The ecomate are interesting as well. Thanks everyone.

You should double check me on that, I fear that I may have been thinking of the speakon connectors. I've used both and my memory may be confused here.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 23
Just use 4 pin XLR's.

They're rated at 10 amps per contact and really make more sense as power/loudspeaker connectors than signal connectors anyway.

se

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should double check me on that, I fear that I may have been thinking of the speakon connectors. I've used both and my memory may be confused here.

PowerCons have only three contacts. SpeakOns are available in 2, 4 and 8 contact.

se

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just use 4 pin XLR's.

They're rated at 10 amps per contact and really make more sense as power/loudspeaker connectors than signal connectors anyway.

se

I would recommend NOT using XLR or any type of signal connector for a power connector. Sure this is DIY and you know how to connect your gear but if you ever let anyone else near it or just are not paying attention yourself you could cause a lot of problems.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend NOT using XLR or any type of signal connector for a power connector. Sure this is DIY and you know how to connect your gear but if you ever let anyone else near it or just are not paying attention yourself you could cause a lot of problems.

Not if it's done right.

se

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if it's done right.

se

? and how do you do it "right". I guess if you make sure to use female connectors for the signal outs and the power in of course should be male. However on the PSU you should be using female on the power output which means you can plug your headphones directly into the PSU. Sure only an idiot would do that, but trust me those idiots do walk among us.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

? and how do you do it "right". I guess if you make sure to use female connectors for the signal outs and the power in of course should be male. However on the PSU you should be using female on the power output which means you can plug your headphones directly into the PSU. Sure only an idiot would do that, but trust me those idiots do walk among us.
evil_smiley.gif

Your signal ins and outs will be 3 pin. The OP's wanting 4 pins for the power connection. A 3 pin XLR will not mate with a 4 pin XLR. If you're using dual 3 pin for headphones, you're safe there as well.

If you use 4 pin for headphones, you can either make the power connectors all male on the panel mounts, or simply go to 5 pin so you can go with a female for the DC output.

se

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

One solution to this is wire it in the style fishski13 did, with the power cable hardwired to the ps. This reduces the cost by only requiring one set of connectors, and there will never be any confusion.
wink.gif

Take a look at the last photo in the post.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6116283-post5916.html

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One solution to this is wire it in the style fishski13 did, with the power cable hardwired to the ps.

Yup!

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back