Found this on another board...funny
Feb 3, 2003 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

2 channel

500+ Head-Fier
I found this thread on another board and really thought the reply was funny...

"Sealing up dynamic headphones"

Posted by: Sadlittleman Feb-02-03, 01:02 PM

I just received a pair of Sony MDR-CD780 headphones as a gift. The headphones sound wonderful, but they aren't very practical. The headphone enclosure isn't sealed, and the big foam ear pads, while being VERY comfortable, seem to let sound out. My question is, is there any way to effectively seal the enclosure, and maybe even do something about the ear pads, though I doubt I could, because foam is foam, it lets sound out. I'd also like to be able to reverse anything I do to them because I'd rather not permanently change their design. BTW, I know the enclosures are open for a reason, but I don't think the sound difference will be too dramatic if they're sealed.

"Some suggestions:"

Posted by: Dick Hertz Feb-02-03, 05:00 PM

1. Duct tape the phones to your head for at home listening. Use clear packaging tape for less conspicuous listening when you're out.
2. Silicone seal around the earpads will stick them to your ears nicely.
3. Large "c" clamps.
4. Leave them alone. You said they sound wonderful. Even though some of the sound may be getting "out", that's the price you sometimes pay for comfort. And maybe, that's the way the designers intended them to be for best sound.

Feb 3, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 2
LOL
tongue.gif

What else kind of reply might you expect from someone named "Dick Hertz"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back