Found the Polk On Ears "Hinge" headphones at Best buy for 40 dollars.
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I went into a Best Buy and checked out the section where they keep the Senny Momentums (and a few other more expensive models, including one open set that was a few hundred bucks). They also had AKG's, V Moda's...and some others I am forgetting. I found a set of Polk headphones there. I had never known Polk made headphones. I stood there and listened to all of the sets for like half an hour before realizing that I liked the Polk a bit more than the rest. I felt that they were particularly better than the smaller momentums, and they are about the same size. 

Anyway, I wanted to buy them, and they were out, but the guy offered to order them for me. So I said yes. He ended up finding them in the computer but was shocked that they were on sale for 40 dollars. I ended up ordering them, but it turns out he had looked up an older version of them. I found the older version online, on amazon for like 50 dollars. I included the link to the older version below, and the one for the newer version I heard in the store. The only difference is that the newer ones are wireless. They still have a lot of the older version and are trying to get rid of them. If the sound of the older version is as good as the new ones, the price is a steal. 

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Hinge-Headphones-linemicrophone/dp/B00FBNAFYW

The new version

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B00UTQ23LO/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433899333&sr=1-4&keywords=Polk+on+ear+headphones&pebp=1433899376932&perid=19R1D57CAGZP81KYXHPG

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Bump 

I got them today! I would really encourage anyone to head to best buy or at least look them up on their website to see if they can get these. They may still be on sale. They are killer headphones! Such depth and clarity. They are very bassy, but it doesn't overwhelm. Super comfortable, cool design (they have leather on them! Classy!). I will do a full review later, but these are great headphones and I'm very curious as to why they aren't more well known. 

40 bucks folks! 

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 4
No kidding, I just picked up a pair of these Polk Hinge headphones for $15 on Craig's List - wow! Extremely high quality headgear - leather ear pads, leather top trim and plush padded leatherette where it touches your noggin. Machined aluminum joints, and an air of quality about them. All told, extremely comfortable and quality fit. Works perfectly with Apple iPhone controls, not so much so with Android (control buttons don't work there). Listening to an assortment of FLAC files on an Android Meridian Player, I would call the sound "entertaining". As per above, overboosted bass (clearly tuned for Beats market share), but not nearly as soggy as those, holds together surprisingly well (or just EQ it down). Noticeably wide soundstage for on-ear's. Mids are laid back, but unexpectedly crisp, particularly with acoustic guitars and pianos. Accurate, clearly defined, well controlled highs with no bloom, hiss or edge. Just bass heavy fun, with unexpected detail in mids and highs. All wrapped in a really high quality, comfortable setup, perhaps the most comfortable I've tried in on-ear headphones (they somehow get the band pressure just right). Way better Beats than any Beats I've ever heard. Looks like a million, sounds like a hundred, all for 15 bones. Gotta love Craigslist!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 4
A hilariously unexpected update: these Polk Hinge headphones are simply spectacular for listening to... College Football Marching Band recordings! My example is "Hail To Thee - The Cal Band Centennial Recording 1891-1991". I find marching band recordings tend to run thin, and rarely capture the liveliness of tubas and lower frequencies - heck, they're mostly lost in the open spaces of a college football stadium - these headphones 'pump up' the bass drum, tubas, and lower octave brass just a bit so you can really hear them! and the rest of the detail brings the classic sounds of trumpets, clarinets, flutes and even piccolos roaring to life! Try 'em on your favorite school recording and see what you think. Oh, and Go Bears!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back