Found out why 95.3% of modern remasters sound bad
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #16 of 21
No, it wouldn't. There are different speakers they listen to to do their filthy dirty disgusting repulsive business, good ones and bad ones. You can assume we both know and agree which ones are the hi-fi speakers, or you can continue to try to change the topic to what exactly the definition of 'good' is, as you've been doing.

Metrics are helpful in a subject like this. But yes, I have a pretty good idea of the differences between the types of speakers you're referring to from the link in your original post, and your other comments above.

It's unfortunate, I don't know of a good option for Fragile, the Gastwirt is awful, and the first one is clipped. I'm not sure if there's been anything done since. I'm making do with (that specific release of) Classic Yes. It has Schindleria Praematurus but the Roundabout is some crappy live version.

Wish I could be of some more help on that.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #18 of 21
Metrics are helpful in a subject like this.

It's a digession, so we can quibble back and forth about the definition of 'sound quality' for four pages before moving on to who really has any right to opine on the topic, users or the dorks who write the checks (for two more), and the original critique is successfully smothered and we all understand we should just take what we're given and shut up about it. Happens all the time.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #19 of 21
I apologize if my somewhat optimistic appraisal and attempts to put the situation into a little better context interfered with the points you were trying to make. Sometimes it's better just to keep quiet and listen to what others have to say.

Boosted loudness has also been one of my pet peeves for some time. At least since doing more critical listening to digital media via headphones.

I understand why it's done. Because alot of everyday music consumers don't use equipment with decent enough quality to really handle and take best advantage of recordings with a wider dynamic range, without introducing distortion or other sound quality issues. That doesn't mean it's a good practice though. And it is why I am an advocate for rectifying this practice (and for more affordable ways of upgrading to better sound quality on a low budget). And why I will sometimes comment on it when posting in the Music forum.

Another recent topic with some of the more egregious examples of this phenomena that I've run across on recent YT tracks...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/one-reason-behind-recent-resurgence-of-vinyl-lps-popularity.902377/

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #20 of 21
The worst offender of this loudness war garbage is HDTracks. They remaster old albums FOR AUDIOPHILES and have the audacity to master them with horrible dynamics with DR's of 4-6. Not only that, but their "Hi Rez" masters are nothing but upsamples of standard def mixes. Many albums were sold as 24/192 but opening Audition you can see the spectrum only hits 22kHz or 24kHz (44.1/48kHz sample rates) and they also converted 16bit to 24bit.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HDTRACKS. THEY ARE FRAUDS!

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 21
To be fair, there are a few albums whose CD release is brickwalled, but its HD Tracks counterpart is dynamic. Unfortunately they aren’t many. Paradoxically, if they made their masters dynamic they would indeed sound leagues better. 24bit does nothing for SQ but good DR does big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back