Found my headphone holy grail last night...AKG...???
Apr 10, 2007 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
k240 sextets

They are as I have read...the kings of the 240 line. In the little time I listened to them last night. I think these may be the "be all / end all" for me.

I was running them through my DIY DB millet with FK6s last night. Today I will try my AE6 DB millet.

Anyways, everything sounds so natural and pure with them. They are extremely well balanced. They are well broken in of course...and sound great pumping any musical genre.

Anyways back to listening for the moment

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k240 sextets

They are as I have read...the kings of the 240 line. In the little time I listened to them last night. I think these may be the "be all / end all" for me.

I was running them through my DIY DB millet with FK6s last night. Today I will try my AE6 DB millet.

Anyways, everything sounds so natural and pure with them. They are extremely well balanced. They are well broken in of course...and sound great pumping any musical genre.

Anyways back to listening for the moment

Congrats on finding "your sound" with these AKG k240 sextets ;-}

I'm sure Fritz could have told you how good they were thou ... But there's nothing like hearing for yourself as to how good a can works out for you ...

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 27
340smile.gif
This thread is useless without pictures!
340smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 27
Nice congrats man! Both your wallet and I hope this is truly the end of the line for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice congrats man! Both your wallet and I hope this is truly the end of the line for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wait till he does the $500 recable.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these may be the "be all / end all" for me.

I've said that a couple times....

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #8 of 27
How do they compare with your HF-1's?

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
340smile.gif
This thread is useless without pictures!
340smile.gif

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

sorry but I just had to
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 27
I really want to get a couple sets of these to run single ended out of my amp as a K340 backup... but with their recent popularity I may have to wait a bit.
340smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 27
This thread is useless without pictures...and maybe comparisons with other headphones so we can get an idea of where you're coming from. Although I'm a K701 fan, I'm certain the AKG line is scattered with all sorts of little surprises.

Looking at headphonereviews.com, there are three models of the K240, and the "S" (which I presume is the sextet) gets only a cool response. So, more info is appreciated.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Apr 11, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #13 of 27
Where might one acquire such a fine pair of headphones, excluding ebay? I don't think I've ever seen them in the FS forums here.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "S" is the modern-day "Studio", the "Sextett" is an age-old '70s version (either the very first K240 or the next one). Old brochure with K240 Sextett illustration (in German)

hey cool, it showed my K140 :p

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 27
The sextett 240 from what I know have six passive radiators around the driver (ergo the "sextett"). The headband is has circle cutouts and they have a grill similar to the k340...instead of foam disks in front of the drivers as mondern models have. They are also accented with silver instead of the gold accenting found on k240m and later. I would agree that they are probably one of the first iterations of the 240. The cable on mine has a 5 pin connector which connects to a 1/4 adapter.

The set that I got was from ebay in germany...It took forever to get them (1 and 1/2 months...probably customs) and I thought they had been lost in the mail and had even started a paypal dispute.

I will try to post pictures when I get a chance. I couldn't find my camera last night. I will also try to give a more thorough comparison to my past and current akgs.

As far as how I am liking it compared to the HF1...I am torn. These have that beautiful midrange vocal presentation I fell in love with in my first akg (501). The bass weight is awesome...it is probably the closest to actual bass instrument repoduction I have heard. The cymbal decay is excellent. The guitars sizzle like the HF1s pretty good. It has a slightly larger soundstage than the HF1 but does not seem as wide as the k240 monitors.

The one thing I find myself spoiled from the HF1s is subterrainean bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back