Found cool vintage phones but they need repair...Anyone able to help a newb?
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 20
You might want to buy a different set of cans(Headphones) with good, semi-good drivers, take the drivers(speakers) out and put them in your sweet donor cases. hot glue screws whatever you need to do.

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #17 of 20
I'm not sure if modding/repairing headphones is a good place to start for beginners who have not done any DIY work before. You should start with getting familiar with tools and materials first (like the rotary tool, adhesives, plastics, wood, etc). Experiment with scrap pieces and then once you are comfortable move on to the headphones. Without the baby steps, you can quickly ruin the phones (unless those phones are scrap to you).

Research is key before starting any project, Google is your friend. Asking on a forum is generally not a starting point because not many people will offer hand-holding. People will respond more to specific questions about a certain part you are stuck on.

Sorry if I sound discouraging, I actually like helping new DIYers, check my post history. I can offer help to you as well, but at this point I can only tell you to look up headphone repair tutorials. I'm sure there is an abundance on the internet.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 20
I hate google. He's no friend. He's already back stabbed me enough times.
Don't even get me started on Wikipedia. Aghh she broke my heart man! I loved that girl! And she slept with my BFF!
His name? Google!

AKA I post on forums to get real opinions from real people.

BUT! The above was indeed a joke :p :wink: :D
I appreciate the help muchacas :)
Going get started on this soon.

I think the easiest idea is to just use the cups as a shell for a good set I buy.

The trick is finding something thats make great sound. But, nothing where your destroying art... or something that comes with a great shell as it is.

Any recommendations for sets that would likely fit well in these cases

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #19 of 20
You should start by finding good drivers first, then build the housing around them. You are painting yourself into a corner by doing the easier thing first, which is finding the housing.

You'll also realize that not a lot of people have even seen the pair you have, so it might be helpful to post cup dimensions here. Better yet, there is a driver picture thread that you can determine driver sizes that can fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back