Found an easy authentic Chinese dish
Dec 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
I've always been curious about authentic Chinese food and researching it can take a lot of time because there is so much content out there.

The other day by accident, I found a Chinese place that served this easy authentic dish that I think anybody can make at home.

It's pan fried egg and tomato with salt and sugar. Thats it. You can see the demonstrations on Youtube. Here's my dish that was made for me at the Chinese place.

I was skeptical because it sounded strange but I have to admit, it's not bad especially when served with rice.

According to the Youtube videos, this is a popular dish among children in China at home and it can even be served at the school cafeterias too.

The interesting thing about this dish is that it also looks European too. I think it could be served in a European home with a side of bread. Yeah it is kind of strange but it's not bad. It's authentic and can be made at home since there are very few ingredients involved.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the Philippines, the dish sarciado (not sure but AFAIK it's a bastardized Hispanic spelling and pronunciation derived from "sarsa," or sauce) is any lightly breaded (just salt, a little pepper, and cornstarch; maybe some garlic powder) fish, deep-fried, and then served on top of that egg dish. Since I take living nearer the equator (and its implications pre-refrigeration), I always offset tomatoes (which spoil easily) with a buttload of chili.

The most usual fish used for this is milkfish, usually cut into steaks. The second is tilapia, fried whole but sometimes cut in a "spread," basically you start with a filet cut from the tail but you stop just short of the gills. After cleaning out any of the guts still in there, season the exposed flesh (use less salt than when you have to apply it to the whole fish with the skin intact) then sprinkle with cornstarch (do this also for the exterior), then finally, deep fry. That said feel free to use any other fish - my personal favorite is Asian catfish (not that tasteless crap called cream dory - the real catfish swimming around in an Asian grocery or restaurant that they kill and gut only when you order. I prefer cutting it into little fingers (skin-on) from the filet but for presentation purposes I keep the head attached to the spine and tail and deep fry it too. Salmon also works although I'm more inclined to buy the kind of salmon for eating raw. I've also tried bass and marlin.

Oh and instead of chili peppers, use Sriracha - it has complex flavors that go well with tomato. Also, instead of salt on the eggs, you can try fish paste. You can get this from any Vietnamese/Filipino/That groceries, but fair warning, if you haven't smelled this before it's bad; if you've smelled surstromming though this will be peanuts, but still, if your neighbors aren't Scandinavian or Asian, you might want to just keep the windows closed. Note that there is more than one kind - the shrimp has at least two versions, one of them violet (I'm not kidding) and the other is dark grey-browinish.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 7
That sounds interesting. I would try it.

In America, most people never eat tomatoes with eggs. The only way that I know of it happening is the Meixcan dish huervos rancheros which is an egg dish with a tomato salsa. Personally I have never met anyone who has ever tried this dish expect for me. It's a nice dish.

Most Americans are actually very conservative with their egg dishes and usually eat them the old fashioned way for breakfast. Eggs have have not really progressed here in America. Some Italian Americans will eat them fried in an Italian roll though but egg eating is ultra conservative in America over all.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

In America, most people never eat tomatoes with eggs. The only way that I know of it happening is the Meixcan dish huervos rancheros which is an egg dish with a tomato salsa. Personally I have never met anyone who has ever tried this dish expect for me. It's a nice dish.

Really? Wow. I mean I like my eggs soft boiled or poached, or if fried sunny side up, use the grease from the bacon pan, but whenever I have omelette or scrambled eggs I always have tomato. I can do without mushrooms, but not without tomato. I caramelize the tomato (and some red bell peppers and red chili peppers) first in less than a teaspoon of bacon grease, season with salt and black pepper, then pour in the beaten eggs and throw it into the oven. Right before it cooks through completely I toss one more egg yolk on top so I still have my runny yolk finish to go with bacon.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 7
That sounds good. I'll have to try it.

Interestingly, I just typed tomato and eggs into the google search box and the Chinese version of if showed up. No American version of it was visible. So yes, I think the American society has banned tomato and eggs. I think it may be illegal.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 7
I prefer eggs with tomato sauce. Fresh tomatoes are much better than canned tomatoes. For 2 eggs one average tomato is enough. What I found on YouTube

For omelette I use one element from this video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back