Found a Really cool program
Sep 10, 2006 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jmmmmm

Headphoneus Supremus
When looking for an alarm program yesterday, I happened to stumble on this program called PC-Com. It's a small but really powerful program that runs in the bottom right of the taskbar (I can never remember what that's called), and it's really changed how I'm using my computer. Haha, I sound like an advertisement. Anyway...

You set a hotkey (semicolon is the default, and I agree with them), and when you hit the hotkey, you type in a shortcut and hit enter. It automatically includes shortcuts to all your installed programs, but you can add ones to anything, folders, files, web pages, etc etc.

For example, from the desktop, I can type:
';head-fi', and it automatically opens up firefox and goes to headfi
';email', and it opens up microsoft outlook
';pathology', and it opens up my path folder in my documents

You can create macros too. For example, when I type ';check gmail', it opens up firefox to gmail, types in my name and password, and clicks on sign in. Pretty damn cool. You also don't have to type the whole word; it automatically autofills it after 2 letters.. so, for that I really only have to type 'che' before it gets to check gmail.

There are other features too, really way too much for me to list, but by hitting ';(space bar)' it automatically minimizes the current window, ';s:' automatically searches in google, ';d:' looks up a word on dictionary.com, ';weather' shows you the weather in your area, ';signature' automatically inserts my signature into whatever I'm typing, etc etc etc, and you can set your own, so it's almost limitless.

It sounds like a big program, but it supposedly uses almost no resources. There is a 'basic' and a 'pro' version. The basic version is free, but the catch is that you can only add about 15 new shortcuts. So, if you want to just use the free one, make sure you set the important shortcuts first, and don't mess up (like I did when setting up a macro).

I actually paid the $10 to upgrade to the pro version, which says a lot because I hate paying for computer programs. I almost did it just out of appreciation for how cool I think the program is.

Has anyone ever heard of this program before? Are there other programs like it? I hate to sound like an advertisement, but I'm just really impressed with this thing. And like whoever told me about Stumble On, I use that all the time now, so I want to give back
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyway, here are a couple links: pc-com, download.com. If anyone else tries it, let me know what you think!

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 5
That sounds really cool. I think I would end up being too lazy to set up the whole thing for all the programs I use, but it could be good to clear up peoples desktops n such, or get to folders that are very hard to get to (too much clicking) I hate getting to my unzipped folder. It takes too long, and I'm too lazy to move it.

Maybe I'll check out the program. It could come in handy.

Can you let us know how much memory usage it requires?

Sep 10, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
That sounds really cool. I think I would end up being too lazy to set up the whole thing for all the programs I use, but it could be good to clear up peoples desktops n such, or get to folders that are very hard to get to (too much clicking) I hate getting to my unzipped folder. It takes too long, and I'm too lazy to move it.

Maybe I'll check out the program. It could come in handy.

Can you let us know how much memory usage it requires?

Well, it automatically adds all your programs, so it shouldn't take too long. I probably spent more time deleting shortcuts I'll never use (to cut down clutter with the autofill) and changing some of the shortcuts to more user-friendly words. Even though the macros are a cool idea, they are a bit trickier to set up, and less useful than the regular shortcuts.

According to process explorer, it's not using any of the CPU until I hit enter after typing a shortcut. In the task manager, my page file usage was 427mb, and when I quit pc-com it went down to 425mb, and then back up to 427mb when I restarted it, so I guess it uses about 2mb.

For some comparison, I started excel, which added 9mb, internet explorer 7 and itunes both added about 40mb (geezus), and firefox 2 added about 20mb.

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 5
I am trying it out now... pretty cool. I made a macro for checking gmail, works pretty well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back