found a nice website on cans(grado)
Nov 9, 2003 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

metal_monger

100+ Head-Fier
Perhaps this website is common knowledge around here.....anyway i found a goodwebsite that gives pretty detailed reviews on alot of Grado products. I think the guy is really friendly towards Grado the company because he sells their headphones but there is some good decent information there.

http://www.goodcans.com

There is also link to Listening Station online store, which wallah sells Grado headphones, and they also have some nice deals there.

I dont work for them nor am I tryign to "plug" it, just thought some of the info on the website would be of intrest to some of you folks.

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by metal_monger
Perhaps this website is common knowledge around here.....

http://www.goodcans.com

Yeah, most who've been around here for a little while have been there.

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 10
$349.95 for Senn HD600s? Man, they must be joking...
rolleyes.gif

"Our goal here is to introduce the masses to high quality music reproduction at budget prices."
600smile.gif

Edit -- that is in fact a pretty good site for a beginner to high end cans, don't get me wrong. Lots of good info and relatively little misinformation. Of course, you can get much further by coming here.

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 10
"And The Sound - Believe it or not, the A-250 is coming closer to the detail of my Grado’s than anything I’ve heard from Senn or other competitors at this price level! No, it’s not quite there, but for full size, circumaural headphones, I’m impressed! If you’ve read my reviews of the more expensive headphones, you might recall that I described the detailed Grado sound as that of being on the stage with the musicians and I described the sound of the circumaural Senns more like sitting in the audience several rows away from the stage. Some people prefer the ultimate detail of the Grados while others prefer the more hall like, in the audience sound of the larger circumaural headphones. This hall like phenomenon is also true of the Koss A-250s. After all, the size of the earpieces are just about as large as I have seen on any headphones. To my surprise, I really like these headphones! Some forms of music with larger ensembles just sound better with larger speakers. More soundstage is required. "

HAHA YEA RIGHT GET OUT, damn that site forever for making me buy a-250s a year ago.

ack.. a-250s is so crappy to my ears.

another:

"Sennheiser HD590 (Orig. $290... Jan.2001 update, price now $250): The HD590’s are the replacements for the 580’s which have been in the process of being discontinued for a while. Sennheiser seems to be playing the corporate game of release new product... sell sell sell... when sales slow... discontinue and release a replacement new product... All of this regardless of quality. Though the design is quite a bit different from the 580’s, only in some minor ways do the 590’s improve upon the 580’s. The cord design connecting to a plug on the left ear solves an intermittent problem which plagued the 580’s. And comfort is a bit improved due to a lighter weight, (which is mostly due to an increased use of plastic). Fortunately, even with the increased use of plastic, these cans appear to me that they will be very durable due to some smart engineering. It seems though that the sound quality of the 590’s has not been improved over the 580’s. To do so would have made them sound better than the HD600’s, and obviously we can’t take away from the sales of their current high end best seller! "

WHACK_

"Sennheiser HD600 - Here’s the winner of Stereophile magazine’s 1998 product of the year award! Almost enough said... the audio reviewers love this headphone! It’s well built, made of an impressive carbon-fiber material. This is probably a headphone you would own the rest of your life. And yes, we know from first hand experience that transducer housing materials and shapes have a ton to do with sound quality. But be warned, sound quality is barely better than the HD580 and HD590 to the average ear. If you have “Golden Ears,” good equipment to drive the headphones, and higher quality recordings; then you’re probably a candidate for the HD600. "

Nov 9, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 10
Here's another one (talking about electrostatics):

"Surprise, this is not a new technology! It’s just more expensive to produce than a standard dynamic headphone, so electrostatic headphones are not a mass merchandised product."

Actually, he's got that backwards. Because there's little market for electrostatics anymore, they are expensive to produce (not a mass market item). In fact, there's nothing inherent in electrostatic technology that's expensive, as far as I know. It's really a very simple, basic technology and could easily be mass-produced cheaply if the demand were there.

Nov 9, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 10
I thought the older Grado SR-325 had black-died transducer housings and (only?) the newer ones showed the polished aluminium. But the photos on that site are a few years old and show silver housings.

Any idea when the switch occured?

Nov 9, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 10
I think its '98 or '99.

Give the guy a break. Hes got a good site and just because he recommended a headphone which you happen to not like doesnt mean hes guilty of some horrible crime. His suggestions for Grados are pretty useful and its his site that convinced me to bother trying Grados

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mxs1030

ack.. a-250s is so crappy.

your opinion. I find them great for detail, I just prefer more bass.

The connector for the headphones to the headband can be fragile though.

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Judging by his views, I would say that he prefers relatively bright-sounding headphones with some useful bass response; he doesn't care much for dark-sounding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back