Fostex TR-X00 Series - How badly do they leak, actually?
Oct 30, 2019 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bcaulf17

1000+ Head-Fier
Calling out to owners of the Fostex TR-X00/TH-X00 series,

These are headphones I have been interested in for a really long time, particularly the Ebony. However, the one thing that's continued to hold me back is the apparent lack of isolation, and that they act more as a semi-open than a closed back. This is a major deal breaker if true because these would mainly be used in an open office, with some light ambient noise/chatter but on many occasions it's pretty silent. Now that these are on sale for $100 off my interest has been reignited but I still can't commit if these leak quite a bit, enough for people around me to hear what I'm listening to.

Can any owners of these headphones confirm how bad the leakage is on these? Would these not be okay for an office setting. Apparently these are one of the best "closed back" headphones in existence but if they aren't fully closed and leaky that's kind of a shame and defeats the purpose, for me...

Oct 30, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 12
Calling out to owners of the Fostex TR-X00/TH-X00 series,

These are headphones I have been interested in for a really long time, particularly the Ebony. However, the one thing that's continued to hold me back is the apparent lack of isolation, and that they act more as a semi-open than a closed back. This is a major deal breaker if true because these would mainly be used in an open office, with some light ambient noise/chatter but on many occasions it's pretty silent. Now that these are on sale for $100 off my interest has been reignited but I still can't commit if these leak quite a bit, enough for people around me to hear what I'm listening to.

Can any owners of these headphones confirm how bad the leakage is on these? Would these not be okay for an office setting. Apparently these are one of the best "closed back" headphones in existence but if they aren't fully closed and leaky that's kind of a shame and defeats the purpose, for me...
I do not own thx00 series, but I do have the th900, I guess they leak similarly. TH900 leaks quite a lot for a close back headphone, but it won’t really distract others.

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 12
They are absolutely perfectly fine for office listening at sane audio levels...especially with better pads. They don't leak sound like open backs - big difference between how much a Sennheiser HD58X or HD6XX leaks and how much the TH-X00 leaks.
Ah...darn, thank you for your response. Seems like I might have missed out on these due to being hesitant about their leaking, Drop official posted on Reddit that they’re sort of EOL...maybe being replaced?

Well, at least I got the 177X Go which I love, Ive just been itching to try the Ebony because apparently they’re one of the greatest closed-backs ever. But there are other concerns; the long cable and the wood getting damaged when away from home.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Ah...darn, thank you for your response. Seems like I might have missed out on these due to being hesitant about their leaking, Drop official posted on Reddit that they’re sort of EOL...maybe being replaced?

Well, at least I got the 177X Go which I love, Ive just been itching to try the Ebony because apparently they’re one of the greatest closed-backs ever. But there are other concerns; the long cable and the wood getting damaged when away from home.

I just got a set of used mahogany cans (via a sale on here). Love 'em to death, but after having my wife put them on, I have the same fear(s) you do/did because I could hear a LOT. I'm taking them into work tomorrow to see how many people I can piss off. To be honest, there's not a lot of sound coming in, but even at relatively low volume, I could hear a fair amount of what she was listening to if I was standing next to here. My cubicle "neighbors" are only a few feet away, so I might have to "keep it down" -- which isn't quite as fun.

I also have a pair of the Ebony variant coming early next week. If things get bad tomorrow, I may/may not keep them. If I can't use them at work, I don't think I can justify two somewhat similar closed back cans for home, when I already have four pairs of open backs.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 12
I just got a set of used mahogany cans (via a sale on here). Love 'em to death, but after having my wife put them on, I have the same fear(s) you do/did because I could hear a LOT. I'm taking them into work tomorrow to see how many people I can piss off. To be honest, there's not a lot of sound coming in, but even at relatively low volume, I could hear a fair amount of what she was listening to if I was standing next to here. My cubicle "neighbors" are only a few feet away, so I might have to "keep it down" -- which isn't quite as fun.

I also have a pair of the Ebony variant coming early next week. If things get bad tomorrow, I may/may not keep them. If I can't use them at work, I don't think I can justify two somewhat similar closed back cans for home, when I already have four pairs of open backs.
Yes, let me know how it goes!

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Yes, let me know how it goes!

Great news! No issues. I have a guy sitting about 5 feet from me, and even at really loud volume, he said he couldn't hear it. Not sure if it's because we have a AC fan that is running overhead (not too loud, but...). I concur with what others have said... if there is any ambient noise, people won't hear 'em.

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Great news! No issues. I have a guy sitting about 5 feet from me, and even at really loud volume, he said he couldn't hear it. Not sure if it's because we have a AC fan that is running overhead (not too loud, but...). I concur with what others have said... if there is any ambient noise, people won't hear 'em.
Oh wow. That’s assuring. Although now I cant get the Ebonies anymore unless I get them used. Maybe it’s for the best. They’d still be tough to carry to the office and that cable is really long and bulky.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Oh wow. That’s assuring. Although now I cant get the Ebonies anymore unless I get them used. Maybe it’s for the best. They’d still be tough to carry to the office and that cable is really long and bulky.

Unless you're transporting them to work every day, it should be an issue. Put 'em in their bag (I used a generic hard case) and take 'em in. Done.

Regarding the cable, I just used a black velcro tie and tied off a loop to take up some of the slack. It seems like most people do that as well. It wasn't too big of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back