Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,992 of 18,761
Quote:
All "Wire With Gain" correct?

Correct. 
size]
 And while the Dynalo+ modules weren't a huge change in sound, I would say it was a welcome addition (especially with my LCD-3s).

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #3,994 of 18,761
Quote:
Kevin Gilmore's Super Symetry Dynahi with on board heat sinks.  This amp is a monster.  DIY only.

There's a link? I remember an old schematic. Interested HV rails and paralleled output devices.
AFAIK Gilmore is working on adapting a Krell design for driving Orthos...

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #3,995 of 18,761
Quote:

This is really funny (to me at least): I got my TH900 from Headroom yesterday and didn't even bother opening the separate inner box with the stand due to what I had read earlier in this thread. So I let the 'phones burn* overnight and continue the process this morning with them on my head, and at some point decided to continue wading through everybody's thoughts and impressions-- and get to this post by bmichels...

Uh, self: maybe you should open that box...

Haaaaa! Mine had the new stand. What a dummy I am.

Incidentally I like the RWA sound (especially with a Miniwatt Dario rolled in) and off-the-grid aspect, and have a Bellina Pro HPA with the SE and balanced outputs on its way. 

*I tend to hear differences with burn-in time to varying degrees depending on the product; since opinions seem to vary with respect to the TH900 I figured to let them burn overnight for a week or so.

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,996 of 18,761
Hi Head-fiers, was wondering if someone could try to help me understand a few facets of these much heralded headphones...I'm stuck between these and the Ultrasone signature djs and I'm basically trying to decide which would be best for me and the music I listen to(primarily hip-hop and EDM).

I understand the strength of the Fostex is the openess and width of the soundstage allied with great clarity and sounding very natural especially with real instruments. My question is this much of a benefit to the genres of music I mentioned and would I be missing much with the Ultrasones.

The other thing I'd like to know is the comparison of bass, both sub-bass and mid with these two expensive ear warmers if possible.I'm bit worried with the term "neutral" being banded around for the Fostex as I was originally looking at the"fun" Denon d7000, but alas too hard to find at a reasonable price. Any input would be welcome here as I've wrestled with this for a while.

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #3,997 of 18,761
Quote:
Hi Head-fiers, was wondering if someone could try to help me understand a few facets of these much heralded headphones...I'm stuck between these and the Ultrasone signature djs and I'm basically trying to decide which would be best for me and the music I listen to(primarily hip-hop and EDM).

I understand the strength of the Fostex is the openess and width of the soundstage allied with great clarity and sounding very natural especially with real instruments. My question is this much of a benefit to the genres of music I mentioned and would I be missing much with the Ultrasones.

The other thing I'd like to know is the comparison of bass, both sub-bass and mid with these two expensive ear warmers if possible.I'm bit worried with the term "neutral" being banded around for the Fostex as I was originally looking at the"fun" Denon d7000, but alas too hard to find at a reasonable price. Any input would be welcome here as I've wrestled with this for a while.

I'm not sure about the Ultrasone signature djs, maybe someone else can tell you more about the comparisons between both, but I can say the TH900s are in fact the most fun you can have with your pants on, and some would go as far to say even more fun with pants off......
wink_face.gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #3,999 of 18,761
Quote:
Who said that the TH900 can not be used in a transportable system ?  
wink_face.gif

With my RWA Bellina PRO DAC/AMP, which is Battery operated, I have built a "transportable audio system". I had my TH900 rewired Balanced to take full advantage of the balanced output of the amp. Plus I got a tube upgrade to the MiniWatt Dario E188CC.

I could notice a real improvement in background silence when operated on Battery, plus since the battery operation is really convenient to carry the system from room to room, or even outside,... I have made a case to carry the Bellina + AC Charger + headphone + my RWAK100 used as source (with optical cable).

I have the a Renaissance Ed. Bellina (Pro DAC, SE/balanced, variable output, power out for a Pure i-20) in Vinnie's production queue; it should be arriving in a few weeks and I'm interested in how it will drive my various HP including of course a pair of TH900 that arrived earlier this week.

And yes, I have an appropriate Pelican case ready for it. My previous RWA HPA has accompanied me far and wide.

Finally, you will like that tube^

Cheers, Mark H.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #4,000 of 18,761
Quote:
Some further quick impressions this morning.

The TH900s invite you, nay, they IMPLORE you to turn them up. Why? Because the more you turn them up, the more details in the music you dig out of the tracks. 

Actually, I am finding that the TH900 are quite good at low volume because they don't lose a lot of detail. This from someone who naturally prefers it loud, by the way-- and they are indeed awesome all the way up to threshold-of-pain levels: I was just listening to a couple of Joe Bonamassa live albums and the TH900 performed admirably recreating the live concert feel for me.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,001 of 18,761
I've been having some channel imbalance issues at low volume with my DACport(1 ohm output impedance) going out to my Fostex TH-900 headphones.

Just wondering how likely the following temporary setup would be to decrease sound quality:
DACport(1 ohm output impedance)-> TF10 airline adaptor(75 ohm something) -> TH-900

Using the airline adaptor does fix my channel imbalance issue by making the TH-900 lower in volume and giving me more usable range in the volume knob, but I really have no idea if this is an optimal solution.

Edit: I stopped doing this because it was mucking with the crispness of the sound and dynamic range of the headphones.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4,002 of 18,761
Wondering if experienced users could comment on whether the TH900 benefits much from use in balanced mode?

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4,003 of 18,761
I don't consider myself as an experienced user, however this question has been asked quite a bit, so just to pass on as a chinese whisper, TH900s do not benefit at all re-terminated, if they did I would of done this myself already. The only low impedance headphones I know of that do benefit are some Grado's

Apr 20, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #4,004 of 18,761
"Do not at all"? It's more like "not worth bothering with". The change is minor and you can barely tell in A>B tests.

Apr 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #4,005 of 18,761
Question, how is the red finish holding up to wear and tear on the th900's? If purchased, I would take them traveling, take them to the office, I'm fine with taking a larger set of headphones around because of the quality...

But I am concerned the finish is just not going to be durable..

Has someone used them like this, traveled with them? Yes I could place them in a big foam lined box... But would they be fine is a soft bag? Or am I nuts for even pondering this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back