Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #3,721 of 18,761
Might that silence have something to do with the strength of the magnetic field (1.5 Tesla) that drives, or more correctly "controls", the accuracy of the transducer?

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #3,722 of 18,761
I have enjoyed the Headfonia site for quite some time, but it is fading as far as I am concerned. The adjectives and adverbs are sometimes out of order, and the latest review of the TH-900 - and that price does not matter; what is that?

The URL and pertinent latter reviews (of new products) are just a comprehensive advertisement site...

Regarding the "blackness" being discussed in the latter part of this thread - I feel that it is slightly exaggerated. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #3,723 of 18,761
I honestly found the HD800 and 009 to both have a more 'grain free' sound than the TH900. It was one of the few faults I heard with the TH900 when I was listening to them in my home.

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #3,724 of 18,761
I felt the same comparing the TH 900 to the Senn, the HD800 seemed to have less grain. Guess people were listening to the charts again or something-not that I would consider either necessarily 'grainy'.

-Daniel

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #3,725 of 18,761
I don't think Mike over at Headfonia has the same tastes that I do. I've found several headphones he praised highly to be mediocre, and didn't really enjoy quite a few of the amps he likes. That being said, I take all reviews with a grain of salt until the reviewer proves consistent. It's still an enjoyable read from a different POV.

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3,726 of 18,761
Grain? What?

Having the LCD-2, LCD-3 and TH-900  it is pretty obvious that the latter headphones is grain free - and that the TH-900 is stress free.. :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,728 of 18,761
I wanted to note some comments in the Headfonia TH900 article that mirror my own findings, mainly that I prefer the LCD3 and even the HD500 bass to the TH900 (not that the TH900 bass not very good, it's just that
it is not quite as solid or granite-like as the others).

Here are the Headfonia comments (though the original review should be read because I am taking them out of context):
------------from Headfonia-------------------------

I think it is the bass impact that cemented my love relationship to the TH900. I’m not saying that the TH900 is a bass monster. But the overall impact and slam, though a little loose in control sometimes, hits harder than the HD650.

Yes, with the closed back TH900, you do get reverbs on the bass frequencies, something that almost never happens with the HD650.

the LCD-2 controls bass better, but the impact is slightly stronger on the TH900.

-------end Headphonia comments----------------------------------

Yep, the bass is a little loose in control (just a bit), there is some reverb, and the Audeze bass (LCD3 for me) is better and more natural in these respects.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #3,729 of 18,761
I'm strongly considering a set of Th-900s. Can anyone comment on the Bass response compared to the Signature DJ's or the HE500s? I'm mainly wondering about quantity... I love my HE500s but I'm looking for something with considerably more Bass but still retain the Pristine mids and highs... The DJ's are doing it for  me so far, but I'm wondering if the Th-900 is even better. Any advice greatly appreciated. 
smile.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,730 of 18,761
Quote:
I'm strongly considering a set of Th-900s. Can anyone comment on the Bass response compared to the Signature DJ's or the HE500s? I'm mainly wondering about quantity... I love my HE500s but I'm looking for something with considerably more Bass but still retain the Pristine mids and highs... The DJ's are doing it for  me so far, but I'm wondering if the Th-900 is even better. Any advice greatly appreciated. 
smile.gif

Bass hits harder and is all around better than the HE500s, not really in the same league. I havnt heard the Sig DJs but compared to the Signature Pros which had excellent/quick bass, the th900s have a little more impact but not quite as fast.. Bass is really important for my music enjoyment and the TH900s just hit the sweet spot, the only other headphones I really enjoyed for their bass were some great ALO Audio recabled LCD3's and the SR009s with the EC Electra (i demo'ed the pre-production Electra, hopefully it didnt change much)..

I'd actually be interested in reading a Signature DJ vs TH900 review since the DJ model was supposed to up the bass and soundstage compared to the smallish sounding Signature Pro.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #3,731 of 18,761
Quote:
Bass hits harder and is all around better than the HE500s, not really in the same league. I havnt heard the Sig DJs but compared to the Signature Pros which had excellent/quick bass, the th900s have a little more impact but not quite as fast.. Bass is really important for my music enjoyment and the TH900s just hit the sweet spot, the only other headphones I really enjoyed for their bass were some great ALO Audio recabled LCD3's and the SR009s with the EC Electra (i demo'ed the pre-production Electra, hopefully it didnt change much)..

I'd actually be interested in reading a Signature DJ vs TH900 review since the DJ model was supposed to up the bass and soundstage compared to the smallish sounding Signature Pro.

Well it looks like we will get our chance. HeadRoom had them in stock with a return policy. Seems to me I've heard of them, I think the owner is a friend to the community. At any rate, they will be here on Thursday if all goes well. I should add that I am very satisfied with the Signature DJ's so far, but there is some room for improvement there. If the Th-900s can kick out the Bass like the DJ's and improve on the texture and layering,  I'm definitely in. Thanks for getting back to me. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,732 of 18,761
Quote:
Well it looks like we will get our chance. HeadRoom had them in stock with a return policy. Seems to me I've heard of them, I think the owner is a friend to the community. At any rate, they will be here on Thursday if all goes well. I should add that I am very satisfied with the Signature DJ's so far, but there is some room for improvement there. If the Th-900s can kick out the Bass like the DJ's and improve on the texture and layering,  I'm definitely in. Thanks for getting back to me. 

You won't be disappointed. :)  I've owned both as you know and still own the TH-900s.  The Sig DJs sound great, though the TH-900 sound better, but it was the aesthetics of the Sig DJ that caused me to return them.  Sound-wise, I would have kept them as a portable can for general purpose listening while the TH-900s would remain as my stationary headphones.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3,733 of 18,761
Such great disparity for the TH900. I was wondering if the headphones are suitable for Japanese music and anime since I primarily listen to those. I want to invest in my 1st "high-end" headphone. Also looking to research for headphone amps, DACs, and combo units suited to the TH900. I appreciate suggestions as I really want my investment to last a long time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,734 of 18,761
Quote:
Such great disparity for the TH900. I was wondering if the headphones are suitable for Japanese music and anime since I primarily listen to those. I want to invest in my 1st "high-end" headphone. Also looking to research for headphone amps, DACs, and combo units suited to the TH900. I appreciate suggestions as I really want my investment to last a long time 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've really enjoyed the TH-900 with Supercell, Kana Nishino, Bump of Chicken, and many anime/game OSTs. I think one of the strengths of the TH-900 is that it does well with every genre. There hasn't been a standout genre where I thought "This is exactly what the TH-900 was made for", but it does no wrongs.

Heard a couple pairings so far, my personal preference stays with the Fostex HP-A8C. I'm sure others have heard more than I have and will be able to give you their thoughts.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #3,735 of 18,761
I'm about 2 weeks in with the TH-900 and I thought I'd post an update of 3 particular things I'm experiencing since the TH-900s arrived.

1. After I awake in the morning my first thought is often, "Hey, I get to go listen to music in my headphones."  I usually get a cup of coffee and do my email and other reading in the quiet.  But since the TH-900s arrived, I jump into iTunes and find some good morning music to start the day.  This has never happened to me- I'm usually a grump until the coffee kicks in.  But now I'm getting an extra hour of music.

2. I'm surprised how good they sound out of my iPhone5 or Surface Pro.  Plenty of power, volume and dynamics.  Even Bach organ is great straight out of the iPhone.  I have a Schiit Lyr amp and I'm not real pleased with it because of it's hum (I get this with other low impedance phones as well), or with my Woo WA6 - it's just kinda flat.  I have a RSA SR-71A and it's ok, but frankly I prefer the straight iPhone 5.  I have an Asgard2 on order, but it won't be here for a couple of weeks.

3. I've had this next experience twice in the past 3 days it's scary.  I was sitting on the couch in the living room listening to Debussy Orchestra Works (Stephane Deneve, Royal Scottish National Orch on Chandos) when I thought "when did I turn the living room speakers on.  I was experiencing spectacular imaging and dynamics.  But of course you've guessed - the speakers weren't on.  The TH-900s were doing such a great job, and the sound was so airy that I forgot I was listening to headphones.  That speaks volumes (pun intended!) for both their quality of reproduction and their comfort.

I've also had the sensation that some of the noises on the recordings were real - a footstep, a noise outside, that I actually turned to see who had come into the room. 

I'm very pleased with these headphones.  I feel like they were personally designed for me.

I'll report back after I've had some time with the Asgard2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back