Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #3,046 of 18,761
woah that price japan website has awesome prices.  $1617 shipped to the US and a pretty awesome price on the SR009 too.

how legit is that site though?

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3,047 of 18,761
Very, I've bought several things through them.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,051 of 18,761
Quote:
I have a couple questions regarding the frequency response of the TH900. Please first go the link below:
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/fostex-th-900.php#tabs

Now, do you consider this a relatively "flat" impedance curve graph? For a closed dynamic headphone, that is. (I was told orthodynamic headphones generally have a flatter response)

The reason I'm asking this is because of damping factor (DF) issues. As you may know, DF is headphone impedance divided by amp's output impedance. Due to the low impedance of the TH900 at 25 ohms, it makes it difficult to obtain a high DF with this headphone unless you use a solid-state amp with very low output impedance (close to 0 ohms).

On the other hand, tube amps inherently have higher output impedance. I want to know if it's still good to use TH900 with them without causing distortions. I have a decent tube headphone amp in mind that has an output impedance of about 4.7 ohms (which is considered low for a tube amp), so the DF in this case is approximately 5.3. However, people have generally recommended a DF of 8-10 or higher.

The exception to this rule, they say, is if the headphone in question already has a relatively flat impedance curve. After all, the primary purpose of having a high DF is to achieve a flatter frequency response, and reducing distortions by doing so. But if the headphone has a flat impedance curve in the first place, the need to achieve a higher DF becomes less important. On the contrary, having a high DF would be pretty important if a headphone has very fluctuating frequency response.

From the link I provided above, do you think that the TH900 has a flat enough impedance curve to tolerate a relatively low DF of about 5 (instead of 8)? Or do you think that 5 is still not enough?

That graph is the frequency response graph. The impedance / phase graph is here - http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf
No wild phase swings here. TH900 is not difficult to drive. Damping factor 5 is a half way to the desirable number 10, or even better, to a higher number. 
What music do you listen to ? If it is electronica, rap or rock / heavy metal or modern plastico-synthetico-metalico-bango pop then dumping factor 5 should not bother you. The mentioned forms of music thrive on the distorted sound of the instruments and on the progressive-distorted sound engineering. Any less than perfect headphones/amplifier tuning will be lost in the jungle of noise so there is no need for the tonality of the headphones to be as perfect as possible. If you prefer classical or acoustic music with their clean God-given tones then you will need an amplifier with the output impedance of 2 Ohms or less. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #3,052 of 18,761
Quote:
Keep an eye on ebay sellers from Australia.I bought my TH900 from Australia about 6 weeks ago for just over 1600 (shipped) Canadian.
I was charged no duty or taxes upon delivery , so I'm a pretty happy camper 
tongue_smile.gif

not to mention it was shipped EMS , so I got it less than a week after shipping

I'm moving to Canada. Saves me 30 to 150% on taxes. I'd be happy there even if I lived in a camper. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #3,057 of 18,761
Quote:
Anyone compared a ZDSE to a B22 with the TH900? I am interested if the detail that is often heard from the B22 is rivaled by the ZDSE? Thanks.

I've owned both and have paired the TH900 with both. To my ears they're comparable in terms of detail retrieval, however I found the ZDSE to sound more transparent and natural.

Quote:

Lastly, in other threads, I found many people who claim the ZDSE is one of the best amps to drive the HD800. I'm guessing that the ZDSE is not only synergistic with the TH900 but also the HD800. I've listened to the HD800 through many high-end amps including WA5 and Phonitor, but never the ZDSE. When my ZDSE arrives, I'm planning to borrow an HD800 from my friend and listen to it through the ZDSE. Maybe, just maybe, the HD800 may become one of my most favorite headphones by this setup.

Cheers.

The HD800 sounds wonderful paired with the ZDSE. In fact it's one of my favorite pairings for the ZDSE along with the SA5000, HP1000, and TH900. I've generally found the ZDSE plays nicely with just about everything, but these four combos make my jaw drop.

Really, the only other amp I might consider over the ZDSE for the HD800 is something with 2A3 tubes like the older Balancing Act or DNA Stratus.

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #3,058 of 18,761
EC ZanaDeux or Balanced Act  for the TH-900 ??

I am going to purchase a TH-900 as soon as... I can get one.  
I understood well that the EC ZD is a perfect match for the TH-900, but, I am tempted instead by the EC BA because in the futur I want to be able to also drive Balanced headphone.

So... will the EC BA be as good as the EC ZD for the TH-900 ?   or better since it is more complex/expensive  ?  :)      ( ah the famous  " OTL"  v/s  " Transformer coupled "  battle !! )

thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3,059 of 18,761
Quote:
EC ZanaDeux or Balanced Act  for the TH-900 ??

I am going to purchase a TH-900 as soon as... I can get one.  
I understood well that the EC ZD is a perfect match for the TH-900, but, I am tempted instead by the EC BA because in the futur I want to be able to also drive Balanced headphone.

So... will the EC BA be as good as the EC ZD for the TH-900 ?   or better since it is more complex/expensive  ?  :)      ( ah the famous  " OTL"  v/s  " Transformer coupled "  battle !! )

thanks

The Balancing Act is an amazing amp, and I was really impressed every time I heard it. However I'd actually recommend the ZDSE over the BA if you were mainly going to use it with the TH900. The ZDSE has a very slight euphony that the BA doesn't, and to me that leads to perfect synergy between the two. I know a few BA owners who feel the same way. In fact, I know one BA owner who is considering the ZDSE just to pair with his TH900.

However if you plan on driving a variety of balanced headphones, going for the BA is probably a good idea overall. It's a more versatile amp, and it terms of sheer performance it outclasses the ZDSE.

Really can't go wrong with either, TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back