Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2,671 of 18,761
Thank you guys for being with me in this sad moment :frowning2: I never use the fostex stand or any stand to be honest since I have a habit of storing all my headphones in their own box after listening so it sit in its box most of the time. I didn't expect this to happen since the only one I knew that had this problem was Anakchan who brought his cans outside for meeting and travelling while the only time mine stayed outside was the time I brought it back to my house. After listen to some tracks in the morning I took it out to put it back to its box and the cup felt down on the way .So it's snapped under a normal usage by itself.
The joint looks like an easy fix by screwing the screw back but I won't do that by myself  because the screw driver might damage the beautiful cup and the issue can happen again (this time I am lucky that it felt to a soft surface I don't know about next time). IMO it's a terrible flawed design using such a short and small screw to hold the cup. I sent email to my local shop and fostex aus already so I hope they could find a solution for my case. 

My condolences. This sort of thing angers me. Here is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship that costs some serious dollar money, something that one would hope should last for a decent amount of time with due care. Yet after all the audio tweeking and fine lacquering they choose to utilise a flawed connector in the most important part of the structure of the headphone. I just hope that these are isolated cases... But it is silly little oversights like these that can damage reputations and affect sales.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,672 of 18,761
No, but really...how much 'rough housing' are you going to do with a 2-5k phone?

The 009's swivel is a much better design. The one thing I find to complain about is the damn Lambda headband. It's comfy and all, but PLASTIC? Really? On a headphone that costs 5k? I wish they'd just done a headband like the 007. Nice leather. 

Quote:
I thought the 009s are decently durable... are they really as sensitive as the TH900s..?

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,673 of 18,761
I have been conducting a small experiment A/B-ing my D7000s and the TH900s. Both were running out of the Mytek DAC and Burson HA160 as the amplifier (low gain output).
The material I used for the test was my own mastered/mixed song. Now, because this is my song, I know the details in and out, including how the whole frequency band should sound like and where it could be recessed or amplified.
I know this is the cliche but, the TH900 was the undisputed victor. The two primary features that stood out was the refinement of the treble + bass (I am talking about 100 Hz - 300 Hz range), and the separation/airiness. I probably went back and forth between the D7000 and TH900 a dozen times, and that is still my conclusion.
If you were to blindfold me, and play this particular song that I know by heart, I would easily distinguish what headphone I have on without no problem what so ever.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2,674 of 18,761
Quote:
The joint looks like an easy fix by screwing the screw back but I won't do that by myself  because the screw driver might damage the beautiful cup and the issue can happen again (this time I am lucky that it felt to a soft surface I don't know about next time). IMO it's a terrible flawed design using such a short and small screw to hold the cup. I sent email to my local shop and fostex aus already so I hope they could find a solution for my case. 

All you would have to do is cover the cup with some cloth. Anyway if it's a long screwdriver, only the smooth metal shaft would be close to touching it. Unless the screw got severed (and it doesn't look like it did), I would be pretty apprehensive about sending it around where it could get lost and damaged (insurance notwithstanding) The things that have happened to shipments to and from me...

And never mind all the time without them... I didn't realize they could be so flimsy if even normal careful use puts them at risk... Anyway a good reminder for all us TH900 owners to go and check if the screws are still firmly set in the hinge part...

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2,675 of 18,761
Quote:
Firmware is the latest one, A08. I know there have been endless discussions on the PFM forum about perceived differences but I never had much of an issue, the filters and headphone having a more noticeable impact. I am using the "Phase Select" set to reverse (which actually switches to a previous version's decoding) and the oversampling "Optimal Spectrum" which is actually smoother (but sounds a bit less "bright" to me than the non-oversampling "Optimal Transient" ones) and thus turns out to be good match for the TH900. To my ears anyway.

A08
Phase 180
Optimal spectrum

Thank you, i will check it out.
Just have to wait, because burn in is about 50 hours...

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #2,676 of 18,761
Quote:
I thought the 009s are decently durable... are they really as sensitive as the TH900s..?

I have never seen a pair of headphones (including SR-009s) completely fall apart like that except for the ones with the Fostex headband assembly (old Denons or TH-900s). Frank I had a similar issue with his D7000s. My sincere sympathies!

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,677 of 18,761
I had my cups fell off before.

First thing u need to do is to check that the screws is not severed which does not seem base on your pic. U will need a flexible screw driver as most screws drivers are too long and will touch the cups since u are now screwing it back at an angle.

Like this one here http://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-Set-22-Flexible-Duragear/dp/B005JZ8V6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355543399&sr=8-1&keywords=Flexible+screw+driver

Its a pretty simple fix but be careful not to scratch the cups. Put plenty of cloth on the table while working.

For all th900 owners, the screw are not tight, so after a few swivel, the screws came loose and cups fell off.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #2,678 of 18,761
Did the TH-900 owners get any frequency-chart with their headphone - Fostex did not send me any answer therefore, and i thought it would be included.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #2,679 of 18,761
Did the TH-900 owners get any frequency-chart with their headphone - Fostex did not send me any answer therefore, and i thought it would be included.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

As you can see it has a relatively flat frequency-impedance curve.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #2,681 of 18,761
Thanks guys, depend on the answer from fostex I will consider to fix it myself .But I still prefer a manufacturing repair and for some reason the two underneath screws looks quite beat up compared to other screw despite the fact that I bought it brand new. 
Quote:
Quote:
All you would have to do is cover the cup with some cloth. Anyway if it's a long screwdriver, only the smooth metal shaft would be close to touching it. Unless the screw got severed (and it doesn't look like it did), I would be pretty apprehensive about sending it around where it could get lost and damaged (insurance notwithstanding) The things that have happened to shipments to and from me...

Quote:
I had my cups fell off before.
First thing u need to do is to check that the screws is not severed which does not seem base on your pic. U will need a flexible screw driver as most screws drivers are too long and will touch the cups since u are now screwing it back at an angle.
Like this one here http://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-Set-22-Flexible-Duragear/dp/B005JZ8V6G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355543399&sr=8-1&keywords=Flexible+screw+driver
Its a pretty simple fix but be careful not to scratch the cups. Put plenty of cloth on the table while working.
For all th900 owners, the screw are not tight, so after a few swivel, the screws came loose and cups fell off.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #2,682 of 18,761
Quote:

Quote:
Compared to my neutral flat Paradox headphones (modded T50RPs) the TH900 has a significantly boosted bass and slightly boosted treble and upper mids.

I can relate to the prominent bass and recessed midrange as depicted in the frequency response chart. I suppose you could describe the frequency response as relatively neutral compared to some phones and less so compared to others - for what it's worth.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,683 of 18,761

Thank's - i already knew this link.
But i thought, there is a frequency-chart in the box for each individual serialnumber.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,684 of 18,761
@xzobinx
I am curious, how long it will take to repair it, and if your country will repair it or they send it to japan.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #2,685 of 18,761
Quote:
@xzobinx
I am curious, how long it will take to repair it, and if your country will repair it or they send it to japan

I also had my TH900 repaired in Japan for swivel issue, and it took about 2 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back