Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #1,231 of 18,761
Quote:
Sorry to sound like a broken record here, but here goes (
tongue.gif
), please try to experience the LCD-3s on a more "ortho optimal" setup (namely amp). With my Liquid Fire (and quad of platinum Siemens tubes) the highs on the LCD-3s are simply outstanding. Can they lack prominence on non-ideal gear? Sure...even the Lyr wasn't as good with them (and the treble). Its more of the entire chain and worrying about "weakest" links. But then again, the HD-800s can sound thin and shrill on non-ideal setups too.

Forgot to mention that I agree with your assessment of how well they (LCD-3s) can respond to a re-cable. Even more so than the HD800s did.

FWIW, I finally did get to hear the TH900 and first I thought...wow, they are beautiful headphones to hold and super comfortable. Soundwise, there is no question in my mind that they sound very similar to the D7000s. The family resemblance is quite strong. But their bass did seem to be better controlled and the treble was less peaky. They were "U" shaped but less so than the Denons. Now the big issue (for me anyway), they leaked / isolated as well as the Denons (which is to say not very well). So if someone was looking for a closed headphone for that purpose, these would not fit that requirement. In the end, my W3000ANVs seem to fit the bill better for my needs (and I'm just too addicted to their amazingly musical mids to move away from them). Still, I thought that the TH-900s were very good sounding headphones and can understand why so many hold them in high regard.

Thanks for taking the time to reply thoroughly, Peter. :)

System synergy definitely makes sense to me and I'd love to hear the LCD-3 on a nice amp that synergizes well with them. The Lavry DA10 present recordings very clinically with quite a dry, flat, utterly neutral sound if a little bit brighter than neutral in the highs, so it's really been exposing the characterics of the other gear in my chain, particularly headphones. I was definitely surprised at the effects of recabling the LCD-3; with a silver cable it almost sounds like a different headphone and is now sounding amazing with the DA 10 so far. More amping power could really take things up a notch further with the Lavry used just a DAC though.

I've not heard the D7000, and if the TH900 is less peaky would that be more revealing of treble details than the LCD-3 or less?

o2smile.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #1,232 of 18,761
Quote:

Thanks for taking the time to reply thoroughly, Peter. :)

System synergy definitely makes sense to me and I'd love to hear the LCD-3 on a nice amp that synergizes well with them. The Lavry DA10 present recordings very clinically with quite a dry, flat, utterly neutral sound if a little bit brighter than neutral in the highs, so it's really been exposing the characterics of the other gear in my chain, particularly headphones. I was definitely surprised at the effects of recabling the LCD-3; with a silver cable it almost sounds like a different headphone and is now sounding amazing with the DA 10 so far. More amping power could really take things up a notch further with the Lavry used just a DAC though.

I've not heard the D7000, and if the TH900 is less peaky would that be more revealing of treble details than the LCD-3 or less?

o2smile.gif

No worries. With orthos, I find that not only amp "synergy" comes into play, but power too; especially where the treble is concerned. 

Too bad you haven't heard the D7000s, then you'd know a bit more where I was coming from. I owned them (D7000s) twice and really liked them. The TH900s are a step above in pretty much all fronts. Not huge through my brief audition, but nonetheless still there. Hard to say about the treble and how they directly compare to the LCD-3s, but with my setup, I find the LCD-3's treble simply outstanding. It can be a bit dull on some non-ideal setups for them, but when you get it right watch out. I would still classify the TH900s as "fun" sounding headphones so its hard to comment on their "revealing of treble details". In this regard, I'd say the HD800s are still tops here.

What music do you mostly listen to?

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,233 of 18,761
Quote:
No worries. With orthos, I find that not only amp "synergy" comes into play, but power too; especially where the treble is concerned. 

Too bad you haven't heard the D7000s, then you'd know a bit more where I was coming from. I owned them (D7000s) twice and really liked them. The TH900s are a step above in pretty much all fronts. Not huge through my brief audition, but nonetheless still there. Hard to say about the treble and how they directly compare to the LCD-3s, but with my setup, I find the LCD-3's treble simply outstanding. It can be a bit dull on some non-ideal setups for them, but when you get it right watch out. I would still classify the TH900s as "fun" sounding headphones so its hard to comment on their "revealing of treble details". In this regard, I'd say the HD800s are still tops here.

What music do you mostly listen to?

These days I've mostly been listening to all sorts (styles/genres) of music. I've recently been listening between pop/rock, reggae, R&B, jazz, and electronic music with occasional forays into classical amongst a lot of spoken word audio. I've been looking for a headphone rig that presents all of them well so that I can hear the most minute details whilst sound enjoyably musical and lifelike. My current HD 800 rig sounds great if a little bit light in the bass region - even with a recable and Amarra software - but over the past few days the LCD-3 has really came to life since trying one of Frank from Toxic Cables' own silver cables, which he kindly lent me when I asked him to try one of his own cables, and Audeze's current flagship the last part in the chain of one of the most amazing-sounding rigs I've ever heard when the volume is up around 75 dB (Playing Mastodon's The Hunter for the first time about an hour ago was and is the most amazing a metal album has ever sounded to me through headphones - what a drum sound, too!). 

I'm grateful to have come as far as I have and still curious about how TH900 fares in relation to what I've already experienced. As I don't want to have to listen loudly to hear all the musical details, if the TH900 speaks well at low volumes it may be the headphone for me, but I'd prefer to hear it with my own ears before making that decision. That said, I certainly value the opinions of those who have posted on this thread. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,234 of 18,761
Has anyone seen / used the LCD's with the suede pads... I wonder if they make a difference in the SQ vs the normal leather pads (I'd take Fostex eggshell protein fiber over suede any day). I think its kind of stupid to use suede for ear pads and head band since the natural oils on skin and hair would discolor/damage the suede quickly... weird choice by Audeze 

For the love of god, do those pads fit the D7000? I MUST have them if they do.

Assuming it doesn't hurt the sound quality.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #1,236 of 18,761
Quote:

, if the TH900 speaks well at low volumes it may be the headphone for me, but I'd prefer to hear it with my own ears before making that decision. That said, I certainly value the opinions of those who have posted on this thread. Thanks!

Just did an A-B with th900 and LCD-3. I am using Imod/Rx3 and Th900 sound much more detail to me at low volume, sound stage of Th900 is slighly wider than LCD-3. By low volume, I meant I can still hear my finger snapping.

Coming from LCD-3, I miss the mid range quite a bit. Th900 has a slighly recess mid compared to LCD-3, but you are rewarded with a very clear vocal, so clear I can hear singer taking his breath in between lines... even at low volume.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #1,237 of 18,761
TH900 is fine at low volumes for me.

In my experience, headphones with a slightly tipped-up lower and top end are conducive to that sort of thing. Say what you will about the Grado PS1000, but it's very well suited for low volume listening. The U-shape on the TH900 is more gentle though.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,238 of 18,761
Quote:

FWIW, I finally did get to hear the TH900 and first I thought...wow, they are beautiful headphones to hold and super comfortable. Soundwise, there is no question in my mind that they sound very similar to the D7000s. The family resemblance is quite strong. But their bass did seem to be better controlled and the treble was less peaky. They were "U" shaped but less so than the Denons. Now the big issue (for me anyway), they leaked / isolated as well as the Denons (which is to say not very well). So if someone was looking for a closed headphone for that purpose, these would not fit that requirement. In the end, my W3000ANVs seem to fit the bill better for my needs (and I'm just too addicted to their amazingly musical mids to move away from them). Still, I thought that the TH-900s were very good sounding headphones and can understand why so many hold them in high regard.

How much better does the W3000 isolates compared to the th900?
I have a W1000X which i like a lot, and the above two are my candidates for an upgrade.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,239 of 18,761
Quote:

Just did an A-B with th900 and LCD-3. I am using Imod/Rx3 and Th900 sound much more detail to me at low volume, sound stage of Th900 is slighly wider than LCD-3. By low volume, I meant I can still hear my finger snapping.

Coming from LCD-3, I miss the mid range quite a bit. Th900 has a slighly recess mid compared to LCD-3, but you are rewarded with a very clear vocal, so clear I can hear singer taking his breath in between lines... even at low volume.

I see you have the Ultrasone Signature Pro, how do they compared with the TH900 with the details, like you wrote: I can hear singer taking his breath in between lines...
Do you can hear this also on the Ultrasone's?
I ask because I'm interested on this phones.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,240 of 18,761
Quote:

I noticed this too, I felt like on the LCD2 and HE500s I had to turn the volume up too high to get the enjoyment I wanted out of them.. With the TH900s I keep them on the lower end of moderate and its just fine. I didn't mention the LCD3 since I listened to them in a noisy environment so it wasn't fair to compare with the other two I owned.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #1,241 of 18,761
Quote:

How much better does the W3000 isolates compared to the th900?
I have a W1000X which i like a lot, and the above two are my candidates for an upgrade.

It's been a while since I heard the W1000X and didn't pay particular attention to the isolation. That said, the W3000ANV is quite a step up in this regard (isolation/leakage). But that's not hard as the TH900 (and D7000) behave like open headphones in that regard....maybe the TH900 was a hair better than the Denon come to think of it. The 3 best headphones that I've personally owned that worked best for isolation/leakage are the W3000ANV, Ed.8LE and DT770/600.

WRT comparisons to the LCD-3s, IMHO they are both fantastic headphones, but technically speaking I feel that the LCD-3 is a cut above with regards to bass/bass control/mids/transparency and imaging. The TH900s are much more comfortable and very light on the head in comparison.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #1,242 of 18,761
Quote:
I see you have the Ultrasone Signature Pro, how do they compared with the TH900 with the details, like you wrote: I can hear singer taking his breath in between lines...
Do you can hear this also on the Ultrasone's?
I ask because I'm interested on this phones.

Yes I did hear that in Ultrasone sig pro as well without much effort but TH900 take a few steps further by presenting very fine details in a nicer way, it's more pronounce than sig pro, even clearer and you don't have to try to notice it, its just there effortlessly. To my ears both the sig pro and TH900 are very detail phones... you can't go wrong with either one.

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,243 of 18,761
Quote:

It's been a while since I heard the W1000X and didn't pay particular attention to the isolation. 

I listened to a friend at works W1000X a few days before I got the W3000's, I'd say isolation is about the same between the two.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #1,244 of 18,761
Quote:
I listened to a friend at works W1000X a few days before I got the W3000's, I'd say isolation is about the same between the two.

Yeah, i heard so, that's why i asked of the w3000anv compared to the th900.
I could live with less isolation, but I need some protection from computer noise when I work, while I dont care about leakage.

A friend of mine has the Denon D1100, which I tried briefly... not sure of the isolation, but he is satisfied - is it better or comparable to the higher denon old range and the fostex flagship?

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,245 of 18,761
Quote:

Yes I did hear that in Ultrasone sig pro as well without much effort but TH900 take a few steps further by presenting very fine details in a nicer way, it's more pronounce than sig pro, even clearer and you don't have to try to notice it, its just there effortlessly. To my ears both the sig pro and TH900 are very detail phones... you can't go wrong with either one.

That sounds good , I will try the Ultrasone very soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back