Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 15, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #931 of 18,761
Quote:
The price is definitely steep, but consider that the R10 will cost you at least $6000 in decent condition. If you want to experience that biocellulose goodness without the worry of age (the R10 is getting pretty old now!) then the TH900 is a pretty sensible alternative I think.

The only thing else on the radar for the rest of the year so far is the new Denon line. Ol' Steve at CNet claims the D7100 "Artisan" is a huge improvement over the D7000, supposedly much closer to neutrality. At $1200 it'll be interesting to see how close it comes to the TH900, but I'm not counting on it. At least until I actually know who is behind the so-called "edge-free nano" drivers.

Can you advertise us who is the new driver maker for Denon?

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #934 of 18,761
The TH900s, to me, leave the JVC DX1000s in the dust (I sold my JVCs).
The JVC bass was just too painfully heavy to me, and while the rest of the spectrum was nice, the Fostexes have much nicer tonality, speed, texture, slam, sweetness in the highs, liquidity, lack of grain, percussion, vocals, and more.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #935 of 18,761
Does anyone know if the production of the TH900 is limited? That is what AudioCubes states but it seems to be the only site that does so. I was going to buy the W3000ANV since I love limited edition stuff but if the TH900 is also limited, then I will have to reconsider. (and get a second job 
confused_face.gif
)

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #936 of 18,761
Quote:
Does anyone know if the production of the TH900 is limited? That is what AudioCubes states but it seems to be the only site that does so. I was going to buy the W3000ANV since I love limited edition stuff but if the TH900 is also limited, then I will have to reconsider. (and get a second job 
confused_face.gif
)

Haha I think 3 might fit the bill more.  
wink_face.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #937 of 18,761
Quote:
The TH900s, to me, leave the JVC DX1000s in the dust (I sold my JVCs).
The JVC bass was just too painfully heavy to me, and while the rest of the spectrum was nice, the Fostexes have much nicer tonality, speed, texture, slam, sweetness in the highs, liquidity, lack of grain, percussion, vocals, and more.

I am confused here because there is a slight paradox in your comment, you found the smooth broad minimally impacting bass of the DX1000 to be More painful than the TH900 bass that you said has slam?  My head just exploded...the smooth and relaxed bass is more painful than the slamming bass of the TH900?  You trashed one of the best headphones out there by saying something with totally different qualities " left it in the dust".  Not sure that is at all fair to say and I would definitely like a second opinion from someone else who listened to both.  I've never heard the Fostex, can anyone confirm the DX1000 bass is painful to listen to and slamming bass of the TH900 isn't?

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #938 of 18,761
Quote:
confused_face.gif
)

As far as I know, the TH900 is not a limited production. I believe AudioCubes means that availability is limited, not production. That's my guess.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #942 of 18,761
Quote:

I am confused here because there is a slight paradox in your comment, you found the smooth broad minimally impacting bass of the DX1000 to be More painful than the TH900 bass that you said has slam?  My head just exploded...the smooth and relaxed bass is more painful than the slamming bass of the TH900?  You trashed one of the best headphones out there by saying something with totally different qualities " left it in the dust".  Not sure that is at all fair to say and I would definitely like a second opinion from someone else who listened to both.  I've never heard the Fostex, can anyone confirm the DX1000 bass is painful to listen to and slamming bass of the TH900 isn't?

Slam is not bloat or ever-present heaviness, with is what I found in the JVCs. The bass had a boom-box quality. There were nice things about the JVCs that I liked, such as natural well shaped vocals and a lack of glare along with good detail in the mids and highs, but
the Fostexes are even better in the mids and highs, and the bass, while strong when the music has a lot of it, is controlled and transparent, whereas the JVC bass was looser and more opaque, and seemed to be there on every CD as a prominent feature.
I think the JVCs are a work in progress, and if they could work on the bass could be much better. 
I really wanted the JVCs to work out, as they were extremely comfortable and dealt with glare much better than many other phones on which that bothered me (like T1s, D7000s sometimes, HD800s sometimes, and Grados),
but it was not to be and I took a loss on them and sold them.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #943 of 18,761
Really enjoying the HD 800 at the moment and I'm very happy with my rig at present. I'm definitely open to the TH900 though and would love to hear it. Any sign of it in the UK?

It just occurred to me again how lucky we are have access to such awesome audio equipment - what a privilege! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #944 of 18,761
Quote:
Megaaudio is the distributor in Germany and I could easily imagine that this is the price for Europe.
On the exhibition stand Fostex told the TH900 should cost 1600 - 1700€.

1600 euros currently equal US $2021.

I almost bought them from price Japan for $1850, shipped, a few weeks ago but dithered a bit and then the price suddenly shot up.
regular_smile .gif
.   There would have been possible import duty too though.

Anyhow, it's all to do with supply and demand.  The latter is bound to decrease after the initial rush of sales.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #945 of 18,761
Quote:
Quote:

The bass had a boom-box quality. 

Ugh, sorry I asked lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back