Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #14,836 of 18,761
  Scott - 

I found the D7000 to have noticeably more of a warm sound and overall tone. It didn't have the same low end extension, of which I think the 900 can best just about any headphone out there. It also didn't have the same treble emphasis/sparkle and articulation or as vast a soundstage as the 900. It had more body to the mid range and a more forward midrange overall, though. I think, for someone looking for a more neutral to u shape with a warm sound might go D7000, but for those who like more brightness up top and a v shape frequency response would appreciate the TH900. More treble extension/air going on for the 900, more midrange body going on for the 7000, in a nutshell.

I just never really feel in love with the D7000 like the TH900. In the end, it's all your preferences though.

I'm with him except on the part of not "feeling in love with the D7000."  I owned my D7000 for years and loved them for the life of my ownership.  I jam a lot of EDM music and a friend of mine bought them way back in the day and I listened to them and my jaw hit the floor.  It caused me to go buy them at the time and enjoy them for many years.  

I find the TH900 has a rather open sound for being a closed headphone.  Going back and forth to my HD600 (total open can) it's impressive how open the TH900 can be.  Granted, as I've said earlier, these were zolkis modded (a partial custom Lawton type of tweaking) so it's hard to say if that's the difference maker or if that's how a stock TH900 can sound.  I linked below the forum member who owned my TH900 stock and then had them modded.  He gave me the modded pads but currently just use the Dekoni pads he hooked me up with.  After owning Grados in the past I'll take the cushions of the Dekoni lol.  Anyways, he compares how the difference is between a stock TH900 to the modded ones on my head as we speak.  
L3000.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods/120#post_11890802

EDIT: Zolkis thoughts on the modifications
http://www.head-fi.org/t/763965/fostex-th900-mods/105#post_11888300

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #14,838 of 18,761
  Scott - 

I found the D7000 to have noticeably more of a warm sound and overall tone. It didn't have the same low end extension, of which I think the 900 can best just about any headphone out there. It also didn't have the same treble emphasis/sparkle and articulation or as vast a soundstage as the 900. It had more body to the mid range and a more forward midrange overall, though. I think, for someone looking for a more neutral to u shape with a warm sound might go D7000, but for those who like more brightness up top and a v shape frequency response would appreciate the TH900. More treble extension/air going on for the 900, more midrange body going on for the 7000, in a nutshell.

I just never really feel in love with the D7000 like the TH900. In the end, it's all your preferences though.

I fully agree with this! Except that I LOVE the D7K equally as much as the TH. And on some older 80's rock I actually prefer the D5000 :wink: 

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #14,839 of 18,761
Listening with the TH900s on my WA7 2nd gen.. these cans are really breathtaking. I've found my new religion. Kaskade's 'Automatic' is so energetic, lively and sublime. Five Finger Death Punch's 'Got Your Six' is so gritty, visceral and detailed on these. Psytrance and reggae sound really dope as well. Before I knew it 7 albums went through my head so far tonight and I just want to keep going and going..

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #14,841 of 18,761
Listening with the TH900s on my WA7 2nd gen.. these cans are really breathtaking. I've found my new religion. Kaskade's 'Automatic' is so energetic, lively and sublime. Five Finger Death Punch's 'Got Your Six' is so gritty, visceral and detailed on these. Psytrance and reggae sound really dope as well. Before I knew it 7 albums went through my head so far tonight and I just want to keep going and going..

I was running the WA7 and TH900 combo a while back and it was definitely awesome. The TH900 sounds much better to me with some tube goodness compared to solid state.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #14,843 of 18,761
I was running the WA7 and TH900 combo a while back and it was definitely awesome. The TH900 sounds much better to me with some tube goodness compared to solid state.

I have to agree with your tubes statement.  I'm running the Woo WA5 at home and the WA7 at work.  The THs sound very good on the WA7 and amazing on the WA5.  That 300b goodness really makes the TH shine. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #14,844 of 18,761
i must admit that the th900 does seem to pair particularly well with tube amps. i intend to compare the mdr-z1r and th900 again, and i'll make a point of doing it using a tube amp. they were both connected to the sony ta-zh1es when i did the initial comparison.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #14,845 of 18,761
Joining in on the tube love. They sound great through the McIntosh MHA100, but there's just something a little extra going on when I listen through the WA6 (stock tubes, no love here for the RCA and Sophia aftermarkets I bought from Woo).

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #14,846 of 18,761
I've really been enjoying my Mk2's with tubes also. Paired with my Icon HP8 Mk2, the sound is quite dynamic and has a lovely midrange.

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #14,847 of 18,761
So, this question is for you guys using tube amps with the TH900. As the TH is very low 25ohm impedance and quite easy to drive, I'm guessing they do not need a overly powerful tube amp do they? I've only experienced them with an ss amp, and was wondering what might be a great, low cost, warm sounding tube amp to look into, just as a secondary option to my main ss amp? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #14,848 of 18,761
So, this question is for you guys using tube amps with the TH900. As the TH is very low 25ohm impedance and quite easy to drive, I'm guessing they do not need a overly powerful tube amp do they? I've only experienced them with an ss amp, and was wondering what might be a great, low cost, warm sounding tube amp to look into, just as a secondary option to my main ss amp? Thanks!

With my TH900s I've noticed that they responded really well when you feed them power. I run my THs from my WA5 and they open up and don't display the recessed mids and treble spike. The WA5 puts out 8 watts. I'm not saying that the THs need this type of power.

What is your budget for a tube amp? I can suggest some amps from there.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #14,849 of 18,761
With my TH900s I've noticed that they responded really well when you feed them power. I run my THs from my WA5 and they open up and don't display the recessed mids and treble spike. The WA5 puts out 8 watts. I'm not saying that the THs need this type of power.

What is your budget for a tube amp? I can suggest some amps from there.

Well, I'm afraid I have to be honest here. I just looked up the WA5....WOW! Nice bit of kit, and WOW what a price tag! I'm pretty certain with that kind of investment, I would just need to continue my love affair with the Audeze Deckard. So far, I love the Deckard. It puts out 4 watts, and has been "characterized" as leaning to a warmer signature and some say this gives it somewhat of a tube type sound. I have no idea about those claims though. As I'm happy with my ss, I really dont know that the amount I could spend on a tube amp, would acquire a model that would produce at least an equal "quality" of the Deckard, in a full tube sound. I respectfully hope that made since? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back