Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #14,551 of 18,763
  Figured I post in and say hello as a future new owner in a few days.  
cool.gif

You're gonna love them! They are, to use a highly technical term, stupid-crazy-fun. Out of all the cans in my sig, they're the only ones that make me instantly smile and start bopping my head along with the music (disclaimer: I only use them for electronica/EDM).

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #14,552 of 18,763

You're gonna love them! They are, to use a highly technical term, stupid-crazy-fun. Out of all the cans in my sig, they're the only ones that make me instantly smile and start bopping my head along with the music (disclaimer: I only use them for electronica/EDM).

I'm sure I will...just remember I'm coming from the old bass jamming fun ones Fostex used to make as a rebranded Denon.  I'm hoping for more of the same sound...just better.  I'm not expecting an "OMG" sound difference but hope to be pleasantly surprised.  I also jam trance/techno primarily so that's why these types of headphones sit in my collection (AH-D7000 and now the TH900).  If I want open/air-like sound I just throw on the HD600...which is phenomenal for the price point.  Don't see the curb appeal of the other mega cans out there (Audzee, HiFi HE6, etc.).  I've listened to them and they're nice...but they can't jam like Fostex can for EDM.  The HD600 fills the gaps in the other avenue when I want that other sound.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #14,553 of 18,763
Hi everyone - My headphones just started acting up.  One side will lose a little bit of volume that can be fixed briefly if I wiggle the point where the cable goes into the cups.  There isn't any noise, just a volume drop.  I find that weird.  Any ideas what is happening?  Regardless, it looks like I will have to re-cable them and am considering putting in hd-800 sockets since I have a cardas cable lying around.  (Yeah, once I got the th900's the hd-800s have been gathering dust!)  I see that people have successfully done this.  Anything I should be aware of or does it just drop in?  Making measurements from both headphones, it looks like it might work.  Not sure if there will be room for the nut that holds the sockets in place though.  Thanks for any tips!

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #14,554 of 18,763
  Hi everyone - My headphones just started acting up.  One side will lose a little bit of volume that can be fixed briefly if I wiggle the point where the cable goes into the cups.  There isn't any noise, just a volume drop.  I find that weird.  Any ideas what is happening?  Regardless, it looks like I will have to re-cable them and am considering putting in hd-800 sockets since I have a cardas cable lying around.  (Yeah, once I got the th900's the hd-800s have been gathering dust!)  I see that people have successfully done this.  Anything I should be aware of or does it just drop in?  Making measurements from both headphones, it looks like it might work.  Not sure if there will be room for the nut that holds the sockets in place though.  Thanks for any tips!

I suspect the cable has a broken connection point, hence it's making temporary contact and you get audible changes when you move it around. 

Time to either shorten the cable thru a solder fix-up job or get it recabled! :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #14,555 of 18,763
Regardless, it looks like I will have to re-cable them and am considering putting in hd-800 sockets since I have a cardas cable lying around. 

My pair has modded HD800 sockets. Be warned if not done perfectly and carefully the cups can be damaged during the mod or if you have to ship them to someone to perform this mod. I ended up upgrading to Lawton cups sooner than expected otherwise.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #14,557 of 18,763
You could look into other connectors that will fit into the holes for the wire. That way you don't have to mod the ear cups. Or simple recable. Figure out what works for you.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #14,558 of 18,763
I've decided to join the club and purchase a used pair of Fostex TH-900.  They've been modified by the previous owner with the zolkis tweaks.  I believe it's a partial Lawton tune up with some other tweaks from what I've read.  They also have the Dekoni ear pads.  

Great sounding headphone!  I made an extensive review of them yesterday against my other "Fostex" the Denon AH-D7000 and my other audio playback devices.  Give it at read.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834390/10-000-speaker-system-vs-modded-fostex-th900-vs-denon-ah-d7000-vs-sennheiser-hd600-detailed-review

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #14,560 of 18,763
I've decided to join the club and purchase a used pair of Fostex TH-900.  They've been modified by the previous owner with the zolkis tweaks.  I believe it's a partial Lawton tune up with some other tweaks from what I've read.  They also have the Dekoni ear pads.  

Great sounding headphone!  I made an extensive review of them yesterday against my other "Fostex" the Denon AH-D7000 and my other audio playback devices.  Give it at read.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/834390/10-000-speaker-system-vs-modded-fostex-th900-vs-denon-ah-d7000-vs-sennheiser-hd600-detailed-review

extensive review!

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #14,563 of 18,763
i use hd800S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back