Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #14,492 of 18,761
I tried just about all Lawton mods separately and step by step and didn't like them either but indeed like you say I'm one of those that appreciate the full mods (cable not really necessary, adds detail only).
In reply to your observations about the separate mods the full mods do:
- bring the mids forward
- give a wider soundstage (probably a combination of cups and pads)
- tame the highs but do not kill them or make the phones dull. This might be a good thing as some perceive the TH-900 as too bright but I never did.

This can be pricey indeed but if you go with the lowest grade cups (grades are just more expensive woods and glossies varnish and don't make a difference in sound form what i heard in my experiments with different LA-900s) it can be affordable. There are even some ready-made cups on sale from time to time.
IMO you shouildn't bother with the types as well, I compared the softest wood (type 1) to the hardest (type 5) and perceived no difference worth mentinioning or consistent so the little difference I percieived I think was inbetween my ears. 

Again, I am talking about the full ods here, not the separate pieces like you tried, it does make a lot of difference.
IMO the LA-900 is a considerably better TH-900 and to me it was worth the price but that is different for everyone.

Thanks for the detailed response, it must've been quite an adventure testing out the different levels. Go big or go home it sound like haha. Nice to know that it can be an upgrade. Doubt I'd try it any time soon after getting them, but it's great to know that the option exists.

Those woods are pretty cool looking either way! Just curious, what was your favorite?

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #14,493 of 18,761

I'm debating this right now. There is an argument for owning both because they are different enough, but if you want one can that does something that the other can't, then owning an entirely different headphone like an HE6 or an HD800 makes a lot more sense.

There is a difference yes but I found the TH-900 better and sold my D7000.
I'd go for something much more different as well, choices enough.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #14,494 of 18,761
Thanks for the detailed response, it must've been quite an adventure testing out the different levels. Go big or go home it sound like haha. Nice to know that it can be an upgrade. Doubt I'd try it any time soon after getting them, but it's great to know that the option exists.

Those woods are pretty cool looking either way! Just curious, what was your favorite?

My favorite, based on looks only then as I found no souind difference to speak of would be the Marbled African Ebony I have now with the Mun Ebony being a close second. You can forget about that one though as only one was ever made. And for the Marbled African Ebony one you must be lucky with the piece of wood. I saw many finished cups and new wood blocks that don't have blond stripes as nice as mine or the one that was made before mine, somethimes it's just some thin lines. It's real wood ...

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #14,495 of 18,761

Subjectively I have found the D7000 smoother and softer, but not open enough, and I didn't have that problem with the TH900 even in stock form. The 14-18 kHz notch on the D7000 measurements may have been a measurement artifact - but if you say you hear it, then it may have some ring of truth. 

I believe that those Headroom measurements are accurate. Innerfidelity also shows the same upper treble drop. Tyll even did a measurement of a modified open-back D2000, which also had the same drop, so it's just a characteristic of the previous gen Fostex drivers. The D7000 can't be accused of being a dark headphone, but I do sense slight darkness in the highest frequencies.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #14,498 of 18,761

I tried just about all Lawton mods separately and step by step and didn't like them either but indeed like you say I'm one of those that appreciate the full mods (cable not really necessary, adds detail only).
In reply to your observations about the separate mods the full mods do:
- bring the mids forward
- give a wider soundstage (probably a combination of cups and pads)
- tame the highs but do not kill them or make the phones dull. This might be a good thing as some perceive the TH-900 as too bright but I never did.

This can be pricey indeed but if you go with the lowest grade cups (grades are just more expensive woods and glossies varnish and don't make a difference in sound form what i heard in my experiments with different LA-900s) it can be affordable. There are even some ready-made cups on sale from time to time.
IMO you shouildn't bother with the types as well, I compared the softest wood (type 1) to the hardest (type 5) and perceived no difference worth mentinioning or consistent so the little difference I percieived I think was inbetween my ears. 

Again, I am talking about the full ods here, not the separate pieces like you tried, it does make a lot of difference.
IMO the LA-900 is a considerably better TH-900 and to me it was worth the price but that is different for everyone.

Thanks for the insight ,, specially regarding the difference in cups ,, i checked your profile ,, very impressive ,, and i think we share same taste in headphones ,,
i may try the full Lawton mod with another pair but  i dont think i will alter any thing in my 900 <<  i love them soooo much i dont wont to open there guts again :)

BTW ,, i am looking to upgrade my amp ,, i was thinking and reading about the Eddie Current Zana Deux and i was very excited that you have it ,,
if you dont mind answer one small question , how it perform with low impedance headphones like th900 , is it clean , suitable and will not humm ?
if you have any recommendation for tube amp  to use with low impedance headphone is very appreciated ..
Thanks in advance ..

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #14,499 of 18,761
- is there a point owning both d7k and the th900.

I'm debating this right now. There is an argument for owning both because they are different enough, but if you want one can that does something that the other can't, then owning an entirely different headphone like an HE6 or an HD800 makes a lot more sense.

I already have the HE 500 , I don't see the point of getting he6

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #14,500 of 18,761

Thanks for the insight ,, specially regarding the difference in cups ,, i checked your profile ,, very impressive ,, and i think we share same taste in headphones ,,
i may try the full Lawton mod with another pair but  i dont think i will alter any thing in my 900 <<  i love them soooo much i dont wont to open there guts again :)

BTW ,, i am looking to upgrade my amp ,, i was thinking and reading about the Eddie Current Zana Deux and i was very excited that you have it ,,
if you dont mind answer one small question , how it perform with low impedance headphones like th900 , is it clean , suitable and will not humm ?
if you have any recommendation for tube amp  to use with low impedance headphone is very appreciated ..
Thanks in advance ..

That was what I did as well, keep an unmodded TH-900 and get ... ehm ... three Lawtons to compare everything step by step and side by side.
In the end I sold the TH-900 anyway and later on two of the Lawtons as well, 't was a bit much. :wink:
But it's a good idea to keep them side by side for a while.

The Zana Deux SE or S have no problems with low-z cans, that's why the impedance switch is there. I always keep it (and the other amps I had as well) on the low setting since most of the cans I had for a long time are all low impedance cans. I always found the sound to be better on low with any amp (HP-A8 included) even with phones like the LCD-2, LCD-XC and HD800

If there's one amp I recommend it'd be the Zana. Probably the other EC amps are fine amps as well but the only other tube amp I heard from EC was a 445 and I didn't like that one but that could have been the tubes as well. Not sure anymore which tubes that were.
I have their SS Black Widow as well, a fine amp if you can find one and much less expensive but not at the same level of the Zana.
There are many Zana fans here on the forum and they like it with a wide variety of cans. HD800, HD650, Utopia, Fostex/Denon to name a few.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #14,501 of 18,761

Thanks in advance ..

The Zana Deux SE or S have no problems with low-z cans, that's why the impedance switch is there. I always keep it (and the other amps I had as well) on the low setting since most of the cans I had for a long time are all low impedance cans. I always found the sound to be better on low with any amp (HP-A8 included) even with phones like the LCD-2, LCD-XC and HD800

If there's one amp I recommend it'd be the Zana. Probably the other EC amps are fine amps as well but the only other tube amp I heard from EC was a 445 and I didn't like that one but that could have been the tubes as well. Not sure anymore which tubes that were.
I have their SS Black Widow as well, a fine amp if you can find one and much less expensive but not at the same level of the Zana.
There are many Zana fans here on the forum and they like it with a wide variety of cans. HD800, HD650, Utopia, Fostex/Denon to name a few.

I am a Zana fan! I totally support what Applehead is stating here. I use the low gain switch on my ZDS with my Fostex TH900's (very slight hum with high gain), but the headphones / amp performs extremely well on the low gain setting. My experience is that the ZDS brings out the very best qualities of the 900's (and my HD650's :) ), and it gets even better as you experiment with various drive tubes to fine tune the final sound. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #14,502 of 18,761

That was what I did as well, keep an unmodded TH-900 and get ... ehm ... three Lawtons to compare everything step by step and side by side.
In the end I sold the TH-900 anyway and later on two of the Lawtons as well, 't was a bit much. :wink:
But it's a good idea to keep them side by side for a while.

your experience and tests are an eye opening .. now i am very convinced to try it in the full way with a second pair ,
just checked the Lawton site ,, there is stock of the type 4 (African Ribbon Bubinga) and i think i will go for it
does it come with tune up kit or just cups only ?

Regarding the amp ,, i was swinging between the Zana and the  SPL Phonitor X
after your comment i think  i will pull the trigger with confidence toward the Zena,,
Thank you very very  much .

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #14,503 of 18,761
Hawaiin koa museum grade is delish

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #14,504 of 18,761
  your experience and tests are an eye opening .. now i am very convinced to try it in the full way with a second pair ,
just checked the Lawton site ,, there is stock of the type 4 (African Ribbon Bubinga) and i think i will go for it
does it come with tune up kit or just cups only ?

Regarding the amp ,, i was swinging between the Zana and the  SPL Phonitor X
after your comment i think  i will pull the trigger with confidence toward the Zena,,
Thank you very very  much .

You need a level 2 mod kit which contains cups, earpads and dampening material.

I had an SPL Phonitor a long time ago. I wasn't a fan of the crossfeed though I found it a nice gadget but ended up not ising it.
It tries to mimic the sound of a pair of stereo spekaers but I don't want my cans to sound like speakers, I like the more intimate nature of the sound presentation cans offer.
The amp section with everything turned off was really nice though, the best I had at the time.
I bought other, more expensive SS amps later one but none as good as the Phonitor IMO.

Until I got to know the EC amps. The Phonitor was a great amp but the Zana and BW are another breed alltogether.
I like to call their sound magical as some others do as well.
Seriously, you can't go wrong with a Zana and you have the added benefit of tweaking the sound to match your phones by rolling just one tube.
Playing with tubes can be an expensive hobby but in the case of the Zana it's affordable compared to many other tube amps.
And it doesn't sound like a typical tube amp though you can get closer to that typical tube sound with a Brimar.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #14,505 of 18,761
Anyone interested in buying a used, nearly one-year-old TH-900 in excellent condition? The only thing is that the leather carrying pouch has a slit on it, as I used it to cover the headphones while on its stand, to let humidity and hot air escape. The headphone itself is in excellent condition.

I'm thinking of letting it go for $750 shipped, as I'm badly in need of cash right now. I'm not 100% sure about whether I'll go through with the sale, but if there's quick interest I might do it. Please PM me if interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back