Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 3, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #14,401 of 18,765
  Awesome!  
biggrin.gif

Feeling sorry for your wallet and happy for your ears! :)

I will send my TH900 to MoonAudio in a few days to get it recabled with a Silver Dragon V3 and balanced 4XLR connector. Getting ready for Audio Nirvana with the soon-to-be-mine Sony TA-ZH1ES amplifier.
beyersmile.png

Thanks! The 900's have been on the top of my list for a while. That being said, I'm happy it's taken me a few years of listening, appreciating, learning, and developing my taste from different headphones before taking this plunge. I'm fairly certain these are the cans for me. :)

Regarding the 900's, I debated for a few days on whether to buy hardwired or the mk2's. The mk2's won out in the end for a few reasons. One, I have the need for different cables depending on my listening situation. And, two, the headphones.com deal on the mk2 was enticing. Still, I have a lingering thought or two on the positives of hardwiring a Lawton cable (not that you can't hardwire the mk2, just don't know what it looks like under the cable socket)...

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #14,402 of 18,765

Thanks! The 900's have been on the top of my list for a while. That being said, I'm happy it's taken me a few years of listening, appreciating, learning, and developing my taste from different headphones before taking this plunge. I'm fairly certain these are the cans for me. :)

Regarding the 900's, I debated for a few days on whether to buy hardwired or the mk2's. The mk2's won out in the end for a few reasons. One, I have the need for different cables depending on my listening situation. And, two, the headphones.com deal on the mk2 was enticing. Still, I have a lingering thought or two on the positives of hardwiring a Lawton cable (not that you can't hardwire the mk2, just don't know what it looks like under the cable socket)...

I would definitely buy the MK2 if I had to choose between MK1 and MK2. The detachable cable is just super important in my opinion when you have such expensive headphones. It's just way less hassle to get the MK2 balanced.

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #14,403 of 18,765

Feeling sorry for your wallet and happy for your ears! :)

I will send my TH900 to MoonAudio in a few days to get it recabled with a Silver Dragon V3 and balanced 4XLR connector. Getting ready for Audio Nirvana with the soon-to-be-mine Sony TA-ZH1ES amplifier.
beyersmile.png

i advise you to check your choice ,, my experianc with Silver Dragon V3 is not that good ... search and decide ..

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #14,405 of 18,765

Have you tried the V3 on your Fostex TH900? Based on my research the results seem to be pretty satisfying.

Yes i have TH-900 MK2 ,,
I got the moon audio silver dragon V3 cable , and i didnt like at all
it kills the sound stage and suck all the air , and the bass is emphasized tooo much..

after thinking ,, i see its ok to order from moon audio , they have very good returning policy ,,
i returned mine within one month ,,, so you can try it , maybe you like it ..

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #14,406 of 18,765
Yes i have TH-900 MK2 ,,
I got the moon audio silver dragon V3 cable , and i didnt like at all
it kills the sound stage and suck all the air , and the bass is emphasized tooo much..

after thinking ,, i see its ok to order from moon audio , they have very good returning policy ,,
i returned mine within one month ,,, so you can try it , maybe you like it ..

I haven't tried silver on the TH900 but copper is probably a better match. TH900 is already a bright phone and silver would probably enhance that even more.

Then again, sound is subjective so you might prefer this kind of signature.

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #14,407 of 18,765
I haven't tried silver on the TH900 but copper is probably a better match. TH900 is already a bright phone and silver would probably enhance that even more.

Then again, sound is subjective so you might prefer this kind of signature.

I guess it depends, like you said.  It's subjective.  Using DHC Complement 4 silver cable I don't experience any sharpness or brightness unless it's in the recording.  It seems to portray just how good or bad a recording is.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #14,409 of 18,765
now that I have the TH900, I really like it, especially the bass.

anyone here care to comment on the th900 vs lcd2 in term of fidelity.

I owned the LCD2 a while ago. The TH900 renders more microdetail from what I can remember from my listening sessions with both headphones. I didn't listen to the TH900 and LCD2 side by side though. Also, I prefer the TH900 sound signature and the bass is a little better.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #14,411 of 18,765
now that I have the TH900, I really like it, especially the bass.

anyone here care to comment on the th900 vs lcd2 in term of fidelity.

Audeze LCD-2 is very different - warmer, focused midrange, rolled off treble. TH-900 has superior detail retrieval, picks out nuances that even gives the T1 a run for its money (the latter being considered a traditional analytical can), and has a nice, significant* bass section.  However, it is not warm despite this bass, and has a sparkly (for some, at times sizzly) upper end.  Mid range is recessed.  

Hope this helps.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #14,413 of 18,765
I have owned both of them and I did some side by side listening to them. I ended up keeping the TH-900 and selling the LCD-2. Primary reason to get the TH-900 was my family situation, small kid in house, I can't disturb others with my listening. Still in the end I found myself liking the TH-900 more.

Like someone wrote they are very different cans. I listen mainly classical rock and metal music, both cans have their problems with these genres. It's easier for me to list which things I didn't like about them:

LCD2:
-Treble is sometimes too muddy, sounds dark and bit boring
-Upper mids, to which I am very sensitive to, might be too loud with some recordings
-They are heavy

TH-900:
-Treble is piercing with some recordings
-Lower mids are recessed, especially TOM-drum lacks the 'kick'
-Upper bass is sometimes boomy

Mods/adjustments to equipment:
I did install lawton kit Level 1 to TH-900 and that helped a bit taming the treble and reducing the bass boominess. I also ordered new cups from Lawton, haven't received them yet.

I'm using Schiit Lyr2 and iFi micro iDSD. IFI as a dac is on the bright side, so I searched the warmest tubes to Lyr2, that helped a bit.
So far the sound is quite okay for my taste. I still expect the new cups tp get the mids up a bit.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #14,415 of 18,765
Congrats! The TH900 is extremely revealing and can be unforgiving, especially of 6-8KHz distortion. Unlike many cans, it won't mask and smooth over detail and distortion in this region.

I recommend pairing it with a smoother source like a properly implemented R2R DAC or vinyl, particularly if you listen to a lot of poor recordings (Arcade Fire, metal, Oasis).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back