Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 4, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #14,071 of 18,765
I think Tyll questioning the quality of headphones is perfectly healthy and valid as a reviewer, and most reviewer opinions will be partly based on subjective elements of analysis.

But questioning Tyll is perfectly healthy too. Tyll has his own particular tastes and sound sensitivities that are pretty well known by now, so an individual consumer's mileage will vary with his reviews.  

Personally, I can't rely on just one type of reviewer, as sometimes I want a dark sound, and am other times in a bright treble mood.

The TH900s are unusual in that they have such a strong bass presence, yet high treble at the same time, with mids recession as a sacrifice. Such a sound may attract types of listeners who normally come from different camps in headphone use. I think this is part of their charm, but others may find it annoying.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #14,072 of 18,765
Up late is the pound for pound king of stating the obvious but seems like an ok guy. Like a dog hanging onto a bone. :wink:

not obvious enough to be apparent to you judging by your posts. :wink: you bit off more than you could chew but there's no need to get snarky over it.

regarding tyll, being a professional reviewer doesn't preclude him from having a personal bias but he is obligated to declare it to his audience, which he has done. it's no secret that he's not partial to v-shaped sound signatures - he's said so more than once. so it's not all that surprising that he didn't get on with the th900. attacking his professional credibility for it is misguided and unedifying.

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #14,073 of 18,765
not obvious enough to be apparent to you judging by your posts.
wink.gif
you bit off more than you could chew but there's no need to get snarky over it.

regarding tyll, being a professional reviewer doesn't preclude him from having a personal bias but he is obligated to declare it to his audience, which he has done. it's no secret that he's not partial to v-shaped sound signatures - he's said so more than once. so it's not all that surprising that he didn't get on with the th900. attacking his professional credibility for it is misguided and unedifying.

I guess his fantastic and illuminating review of Ultrasone edition 10 was very rewarding and very analytical.
It is just an example of his fantastic professional credibility tbh.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #14,074 of 18,765
tyll's done a lot of thorough and insightful reviews over the years to be fair. to ignore that and diss him over one or two negative reviews is patently unfair.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #14,075 of 18,765
I think the cost of the th900 should also been taken into consideration since it seems as though we are paying a premium price for those gorgeous cups.

I often switch from the th900 to the d2000 if I find the treble too hot. That is, I am moving by preference to a cheaper headphone.

It makes you wonder how prices at the higher end are determined actually.

I've been following the price of the th600 and at one point, it went down to £256 from £455. I presume that the dealer isn't losing money, but there's quite a difference there. Equivalent of the th900 coming down to £600 or so.

I have avoided expensive headphones, not because I can't afford them, but I don't trust the sellers'prices and how they arrive at them.

Part of some peoples' problems with Tyll's statements concerning the th900 may be more based on what those people paid for it.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #14,076 of 18,765
tyll's done a lot of thorough and insightful reviews over the years to be fair. to ignore that and diss him over one or two negative reviews is patently unfair.

Maybe we 2 have different standards concerning reviews. In my case, "your motor runs too hot, change the tyres and here is a graph" is not a review of a car. It is for you.
Obviously we have different views. For me, apart from the measurements, he is a completely different kind of story. 
Don't have anything more to say about Tyll, people can watch his so called reviews and judge for themselves. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #14,077 of 18,765
you are misrepresenting tyll's reviewing style based on just two examples out of numerous reviews that he has given at innerfidelity over a period of more than five years.

tyll tends to avoid reviewing headphones that he doesn't like or considers unworthy. so he made an exception for the edition 10 and th900 and was damning of them - so what? that's his prerogative. he also reluctantly gave a critical review of the k812 by the way.

a typical tyll hertsen headphone review comprises a detailed description of the can, his subjective listening impressions and objective measurements. the review is provided in written and video formats. i regard that as pretty damn comprehensive, but i guess there's no pleasing some people.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #14,078 of 18,765
What is interesting is Tyll had the early Denon's (D2000/5000/7000) on his wall of fame so at some point he must have liked them. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #14,079 of 18,765
What is interesting is Tyll had the early Denon's (D2000/5000/7000) on his wall of fame so at some point he must have liked them. 

I'm sure you had an ex girl friend, husband or wife that you use to like at some point. Your tastes change, you become more picky, new options come on to the scene.
It's tough to be jilted but most have been there and moved on. Some find a relationship that never ends...

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #14,080 of 18,765

yes, but the th900 is a departure from their sound signatures according to tyll. and like whazzup says, tastes can change - maybe tyll's has too. the wall of fame isn't static. cans are removed from it to make way for newer and better performing models - all in tyll's opinion of course. :wink:

Oct 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #14,081 of 18,765
I respect Tyll's opinion and have no problem with his reviews but the difference of opinion between being on the WOF and SUCKS is quite a large gap regardless of changing tastes.  The differences between the D7000 and the TH900, IMHO, were not that large so I tend to question the SUCKS comment, no more, no less.  For me, the TH900 is more detailed, better soundstage localization and faster transient response as compared to the D7000.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #14,082 of 18,765
I respect Tyll's opinion and have no problem with his reviews but the difference of opinion between being on the WOF and SUCKS is quite a large gap regardless of changing tastes.  The differences between the D7000 and the TH900, IMHO, were not that large so I tend to question the SUCKS comment, no more, no less.  For me, the TH900 is more detailed, better soundstage localization and faster transient response as compared to the D7000.

LOL! This debate is getting on sides. I love everything about it, the trebles (especially)

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #14,083 of 18,765
LOL! This debate is getting on sides

Maybe, just people expressing opinions.  I'm not degrading Tyll in any way, shape or form.  To me, The difference between being on the WOF (Denon) and SUCKS (TH900) should be a MAJOR difference in performance, which I don't experience, but again, that is my opinion.  Tyll is certainly entitled to his own.

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #14,084 of 18,765
Maybe, just people expressing opinions.  I'm not degrading Tyll in any way, shape or form.  To me, The difference between being on the WOF (Denon) and SUCKS (TH900) should be a MAJOR difference in performance, which I don't experience, but again, that is my opinion.  Tyll is certainly entitled to his own.

Agreed, I normally don't care about what variations or taste changing and mood He is in at the moment of test and review. The only thing that bug me is the raving about X00 where he severely dragged 900 with a few Kg of stones into the ocean

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #14,085 of 18,765
Now you know how I feel when the T1 constantly gets bashed without consideration for finer points such as S/N and the associated silent revisions (and all the darned pairing options too).  
biggrin.gif

Just kidding.  But honestly we're just beating around the same bush at this point (I'm pretty sure the plant may die)...so shall we move on perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back