Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #12,467 of 18,765
As above.

When I'm in Thailand I always put mine back in the box due to the levels of humidity.

i always keep mine in the box when they're not in use.

the sachets of dessicant is a good suggestion if you're storing them in the box or a travel case.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #12,468 of 18,765
As above.

When I'm in Thailand I always put mine back in the box due to the levels of humidity.

i always keep mine in the box when they're not in use.

the sachets of dessicant is a good suggestion if you're storing them in the box or a travel case.

You guys are mindful, my box went in the recycling, I am using stax covers tho on my stands.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #12,469 of 18,765
Was looking at these and wondered if they sounded good with a Mojo. If anybody has both I would like to know how it goes.

i'm listening to mine directly from a laptop at the moment (sacrilege!) and it still sounds great. can't help thinking that it should sound awesome via your mojo.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #12,470 of 18,765
i'm listening to mine directly from a laptop at the moment (sacrilege!) and it still sounds great. can't help thinking that it should sound awesome via your mojo.

I thought you hated how mid-recess it is ? Mine is wonderful with silver cables and out of Zx2. Despite many people thinking my Zx2 is not having enough power...it kept on beating Mojo and DP-X1 with Th900 lol...my ears is probably rotten

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #12,472 of 18,765
Going to recable my TH900's. Silver or copper? Which sounds best w/ these wonderful cans?

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #12,473 of 18,765
Going to recable my TH900's. Silver or copper? Which sounds best w/ these wonderful cans?

What kind of copper ? Stock is 7n OfC copper, and can't get better than that...in term of being continues casting or OCC ? It won't make much of any different at all..hell not audible. However silver will :D. I have silver to my th900 and I love it

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #12,474 of 18,765

IMO not need to recable TH900. They are wonderful out of the box. Better to grab good amp designed for low impedance cans. Im enjoing it from Burson Soloist. Pretty energetic, clean, soft, good oompf and deep bass, no annoying sparkle highs

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #12,476 of 18,765
What kind of copper ? Stock is 7n OfC copper, and can't get better than that...in term of being continues casting or OCC ? It won't make much of any different at all..hell not audible. However silver will
biggrin.gif
. I have silver to my th900 and I love it

What are the differences w/ the silver?

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #12,478 of 18,765
Smooth trebles/bass with even more resolutions and transparency to mid

5% in my experience or even no difference.  Some time ago i made a mistake and ordered silver cable to HD650 with the price relatively the same as Hd650 itself. It was 5% of overall sound enhancement. Better to ivnest to uiltimate amlifier. With the cable you will not change to sound signature or make the sound another. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #12,479 of 18,765
If you have good cans, great dac amp, big library, and you want to take it up a notch, and money isn't a problem. Go for it. After all at that point whether it's 1,5,10 % better is the goal.
Cable wise th900 stock is good, so silver or fusion may offer somwething different.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #12,480 of 18,765
5% in my experience or even no difference.  Some time ago i made a mistake and ordered silver cable to HD650 with the price relatively the same as Hd650 itself. It was 5% of overall sound enhancement. Better to ivnest to uiltimate amlifier. With the cable you will not change to sound signature or make the sound another. 

Yeah, the differences is not worth $500-600 price tag. Works is done by me so it costed material and self labor, and I only simply answer his question. Beside, not all silver cables ar wthe same, most of the time people is confused of silver plated copper for being silver. They are very different, you can simply do some researches on electric conductivity, capacitance ....etc...two different layers of conducive material is worse than 1 single pure material to transmit the analog signals, the frequencies need to be pure and efficient to conduct the best of it.

The way I see it ? You have water flow 1000 gallons per hour, over 10 hours you have 10,000 gallons. To restrict your pipeline to be deficient down to 5%, you will loose 500 gallons over the course of 10 hours.

Now, take that into analog signals and frequency, we are approaching the days and age of 16/44.1 to be the standard (the least of cd quality) of high-res audio....these better engineered devices are there for this purposes. Now, to have 5% deficiency or 44,100 hz per second would equal to 2,205 Hz per second loss....and that is only 1 signal (bass for example), now...how many different signals were composed onto the sound track ? 10-20 ? Multiply that...you would lose 22,050 hz per second over the song with 10 instruments composed on. Now give it 180 seconds which is 3 minutes, you will lose 3,969,000 Hz....that is not much ?

I hear some people asked me, so does the studio which were used to compose and engineer the sound track matter ? What cables do they use ? How about your sources, gears, solders, components ? My answer to all of those above ? Deficiency is deficiency, it doesn't matter what come before the deficiency, but the end result is that you are getting 5% deficiency.

The studio can use very bad cables and equipments....normally they don't, and composed 100% of the sound track they think you want to hear....when it come to you, and say you spend all the money you could on the gears that would "reproduce" 100% of this track....by going through your bad copper cables, you now will only hear 95% of it

What we have here is the word "reproduction" deficiency always count period.

Again, to have the cables to cost that much ? It is snake oil, I improve my stuff with basic electrical knowledges, and I enjoy the result that it brings. On some special track of cd quality 16/44.1 I can specifically point out between a stock headphones to the silver recabled headphones (the missing sounds). I don't have bat ears or sonar receptions, what I hear, you can also hear.

Also note that, toe ultimately reproduce the track as it was meant to be ? 5% could cost a lot of money...in this hobby...it is

I'm recabling to use w/ my Pono. Balanced setup. 

I can help you with that if you want to and not having to cut off an arm or a leg. Anybody who has basic soldering skills can help you, I will refer you to the person who sell the cables quality of silver that I had tested and witnessed the differences as well. If money is no objective and you love fancy coloring, jackets, brand on your cables, then there will be plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back