Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #11,536 of 18,761
If you go to the Lawton Audio website, it gives a very good 'step-by-step' guide to removing the Fostex earpads

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #11,537 of 18,761
Seems the TH900 take some getting used to. It's difficult to decipher, but there is something "different" about them. I haven't used a closed-back in years and the past month or so I've been toying with the HD800 exclusively, so maybe that's it. It's almost as though they're open sounding, but unforgettably a closed headphone. Time will tell I guess (or brain burn-in will take place). I'm a little disappointed that they aren't more intimate sounding, but that's likely the midrange taking a backseat. Prefer to pump the volume and not ideal for low-level listening. Clarity is exceptional and decay is very quick (too quick?). Nice with 50's jazz, but won't supplant the 007 anytime soon in this genre. Not as musical as I expected either, though I haven't found the right tube for it yet via ECBA. I'm thinking the Zana will give it some missing euphony.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #11,538 of 18,761
 It's difficult to decipher, but there is something "different" about them. 

Yes... that's exactly what drew me to them, when I first listened to them a couple of years ago. What you're referring to may be different to what I'm referring to, but the TH-900 seems to have this nice coherence and "evenness" to the music. The music just sounds really well put-together, rather than having a bunch of arbritrary sound-stage and imaging characteristics (not referring to the HD-800, but the AKG K702). 

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #11,539 of 18,761
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what I mean. I think it has something to do with a closed headphone sounding so open. It's definitely coherent sounding and tuned exquisitely. Still, I'm not "wowed" by them, but more impressed by it's abilities to sound clean and detailed, while keeping the bass from infringing on the rest of the presentation. I simply need to listen more plus the HD800 is a tough headphone to shake off once you've grown used to it. I can say, however, that the bass is something of a treat, especially when you're listening to small ensembles where the instrument is in focus.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #11,540 of 18,761
it's not going to sound as open as the hd800 or any other open backed can. the hd800 has a more balanced fr with fuller mids. you've got contrasting sound signatures there.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #11,541 of 18,761
it's not going to sound as open as the hd800 or any other open backed can. the hd800 has a more balanced fr with fuller mids. you've got contrasting sound signatures there.

That's the point I was making. It's difficult to transition from a headphone that is, in most respects, wildly divergent from the TH900.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #11,542 of 18,761
i like that cans have different sound signatures. the headphone caper would be pretty dull if they all sounded the same imo. seems to me that you just prefer the hd800's presentation and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #11,543 of 18,761
i like that cans have different sound signatures. the headphone caper would be pretty dull if they all sounded the same imo. seems to me that you just prefer the hd800's presentation and there's nothing wrong with that.

Not so simple as all that. I can appreciate different sound signatures. Every headphone in my sig represents a different presentation and ultimately were kept because they did something especially different from the others. As for the HD800, yes, they are my favorite dynamic headphones. It took me nearly 3 years to get them just right and in a sense my system was built around it. That has little to do with the Fostex.

I like the TH900, but I don't understand the nuances it brings yet. The only reason I brought up the Sennheiser's was to suggest that my ears are overly familiarized with that sound and sometimes it's difficult to transition to another headphone when the preceding one is so different in presentation (I.e, the SR007 is a little sterile and tired-sounding following the 009, the HE60 awfully thin following the 007, etc...).

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #11,544 of 18,761
it's difficult to transition to another headphone when the preceding one is so different in presentation (I.e, the SR007 is a little sterile and tired-sounding following the 009, the HE60 awfully thin following the 007, etc...).

Very true. I try as a rule if I'm getting used to a new signature to only use it for enough time so that my brain has had a chance to acclimate to it. I'm sure the Fostex will find it's niche in your collection in time.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #11,545 of 18,761
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what I mean. I think it has something to do with a closed headphone sounding so open. It's definitely coherent sounding and tuned exquisitely. Still, I'm not "wowed" by them, but more impressed by it's abilities to sound clean and detailed, while keeping the bass from infringing on the rest of the presentation. I simply need to listen more plus the HD800 is a tough headphone to shake off once you've grown used to it. I can say, however, that the bass is something of a treat, especially when you're listening to small ensembles where the instrument is in focus.

Listen to any song with prominent bass instrumentals (no need for pure basshead songs).
The TH900 will thump/rattle your head along with those notes when they come up, while the HD800 will give you nothing.

Its a very pleasant experience & one that gave me the wow factor.

Also if you haven't tried it yet, the shelf liner mode does help bring the TH900 very close to the HD800 in sound signature minus the thin bass of course.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #11,546 of 18,761
Not so simple as all that. I can appreciate different sound signatures. Every headphone in my sig represents a different presentation and ultimately were kept because they did something especially different from the others. As for the HD800, yes, they are my favorite dynamic headphones. It took me nearly 3 years to get them just right and in a sense my system was built around it. That has little to do with the Fostex.

I like the TH900, but I don't understand the nuances it brings yet. The only reason I brought up the Sennheiser's was to suggest that my ears are overly familiarized with that sound and sometimes it's difficult to transition to another headphone when the preceding one is so different in presentation (I.e, the SR007 is a little sterile and tired-sounding following the 009, the HE60 awfully thin following the 007, etc...).

i understand what you're saying but it's not an issue for me, which is probably why i can't relate to it much. i don't find it difficult transitioning from one sound signature to another. i enjoy the variety that headphones offer as well as comparing them. plus the th900 made an immediate and positive impression on me.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #11,547 of 18,761

If I may offer up a suggestion. I also switch between sets regularly, about maybe once every two weeks. When switching to another headphone after spending time with a completely different set, I like to listen to a playlist of tracks that I thoroughly enjoy on the said 'new' set for a few hours. This method allows me to quickly re-attune myself to the nuances of the headphone. Once I've re-calibrated myself, then all is well. The rest of the week, I'm able to enjoy music on that headphone really well. :) Of course YMMV, etc. :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #11,548 of 18,761
I've been super curious about these for a long time now... unfortunately there isn't anywhere near me to audition a pair before I buy them so I was hoping to get some input from you guys who own them.

I've been a big fan of my LCD 2's and I was looking for a similar sound quality in a closed headphone. The two that seem to be recommended most often are the TH-900's and the LCD-XC. I've actually tried the XC's, and honestly it didn't seem to have that same "oomph" in the low range that the LCD 2's do. While the TH-900 are rather notorious for their low end, I was just curious on people's impressions compared to some planars.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #11,549 of 18,761
LCD 2 fans may have a tough time adjusting to a less rich and warm presentation. In my experience the LCD 2 has that enveloping, warm, sticky goodness. The Fostex while fun moves closer to a neutral signature. However, if you're ready for change and give your brain a little time to adjust the Fostex has plenty to offer, it is just different.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #11,550 of 18,761
Well... I just had an audition with the AKG K812 earlier today, and it looks like I'll just be keeping my TH-900. 

I'm pretty sure the K812 is a technically superior headphone (I can't be absolutely for sure, because I didn't compare them side-by-side, and the K812 was being played in a room with several people talking and playing video games), as it is remarkably clear and clean-sounding in the mids. But the TH-900 just has that sparkly, punchy, exciting factor, with the right touch of darkness and smoothness to prevent it from getting going overboard with that excitement. 

And the texture... texture is one of the TH-900's key strengths. With guitars and drums and whatnot, there's just a super satisfying resonating sound to them. I assume it's the wood cups, but I may be wrong. But yea... guitars, drums, and live vocals just sound super satisfying on these cans. 

And personally, I just love the closed-headphone sound. I just think closed headphones do bass better, as the bass is kept enclosed in the cans, and it's the kind of sound I was looking for with my most recent purchase. And I think the TH-900 fits the bill quite nicely. 

I suppose this would be a part of the "impressions" post I said I would write. I suppose I will write another one later, but again, don't expect anything too profound or amazing. Regardless, I'm super-super happy with these phones, and they were exactly what I was looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back