Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 17, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #11,506 of 18,762
Unfortunately the Vertere Acoustic Pulse AES/EBU I want does'nt come cheap...

Totally free yourself of this notion that cables make a big difference, or even a small difference. Spend $30 on a decent AES cable and  be done with it. Seriously, in multiple trial blind listening there is no chance in hell you'll tell the difference between a $500 and a $30 AES cable, not a chance. I'm sorry to sound like such a dick, but really, your brain is just not that sensitive (at least not consciously) to miniscule differences.

Well, I must confess that I heard that one before! :wink: IMO a decent AES cables is roughly USD 50 (Supra DAC), a good one is approx. USD 150 (AQ carbon) and an amazing one starts at USD 500. Cables do make a big difference to me..but the result is in the ears of the beholder...ie ME!:wink:

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #11,507 of 18,762
Hey, each to their own, but without proper testing procedures you are virtually guaranteed to hear a difference because you expect to hear a difference. Regardless brother you are most certainly entitled to enjoy your hobby any way that you see fit. Frankly, I responds to these posts more for new and exploring members who are trying hard to improve their systems and might otherwise think that expensive cables have any evidence base at all beyond untested subjective opinion. I

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #11,508 of 18,762
Person A believes cables make a difference, person B doesn't.  Are there a base set of qualitative and quantitative tests that can measure exactly how a cable affects sound? Not that I'm aware of.  There are tests that can measure that cables transmit a signal and that they meet the standard for the interface they're transmitting the signal for.  Beyond that, I don't believe we've yet devised tests to correlate and substantiate what people hear or do not hear.  Until we do, all we CAN be left with is observation and subjective interpretation.  We're still learning and to suggest there can be no more, that current testing methodology is the end of the line, is [purposely left blank].

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #11,509 of 18,762
I've tried to read as much of this thread as humanly possible, but what amp/dac recommendations are there for under $400? I am looking with something that's SS no tubes. I don't want to hear hissing as that is currently my problem and no coloration to the sound. O2/odac, Jds element, mstage, schiit stack or Asgard/frost or something else? Thanks in advance

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #11,510 of 18,762
I'm running the JDS Element with the TH-900. Seems to be a pretty good combo - the Element's neutral sound seems to help balance out the TH-900's richer sound. Can't comment on the others, since I haven't used them, except the Matrix M-Stage stack.

If you're talking about the earlier, original M-Stage amps, I would avoid them, because of impedance mis-matching. You would want an amp that has output impedance of 3.125 or less, because the TH-900 has an impedance of 25. I believe Matrix's later M-Stage amps, like the HPA-3, however, does have a lower output impedance, so if you can find that and a standalone DAC (not the cheap one that comes with M-Stage amps) for $400, I say go for it. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #11,511 of 18,762
Hey, each to their own, but without proper testing procedures you are virtually guaranteed to hear a difference because you expect to hear a difference. Regardless brother you are most certainly entitled to enjoy your hobby any way that you see fit. Frankly, I responds to these posts more for new and exploring members who are trying hard to improve their systems and might otherwise think that expensive cables have any evidence base at all beyond untested subjective opinion. I

We all have our own missions. Your one is honorable sparing people from expensive misstakes. But at the same time you are limiting their horizon..even if this is not a part of your mission. The only problem I see with experimenting with cables/tweaks/mods, except money spent, is that it tend to destroy the pure joy of listening to music at times when it get to intense and it is easy to loose the focus on the most important stuff. Only listening to details instead of music flow is not a good mission for the final result IMHO. My advise is to pay attension to goose bumps and tapping toes! :wink:

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #11,512 of 18,762
Question from the ECBA thread:

Any tube recommendations for a TH900? I recently swapped a Sophia Electric 6sl7 for an RCA Grey Glass VT-231 and was startled by the improvement with stock HD800's. Marvelously suited they are, but the TH900 is a different story. The RCA is too dark and hazy here. The TH900 are somewhat sterile in this setup and the highs are tamed to excess.

I'll try a Sylvania Chrome Dome and 6sn7GT next. Also have a Ken Rad and Mullard ECC35 (used in the ZD) here, but the TH900 is so artfully balanced between coloured and natural sounding that I fear it easily tips over with non-perfect matches.

:small_red_triangle:For context: I'm using EML Solid Plate 300b's

I don't think there are a lot of Eddie Current Balanced Act owners here.

Speaking of which, did any of your other amps compare to it, particularly the Marantz 2285B, Pioneer SX1280,  Woo WA2 or the Audio GD Master 7?

Nice to see an owner with the Fosetx among the TOTL audiophile cans i.g. Stax, Hifiman, Sennheiser, Audeze, Grado.

Do any of those other headphones reach the same hard hitting sub-bass as the Fostex with our higher end amps?

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #11,513 of 18,762
We all have our own missions. Your one is honorable sparing people from expensive misstakes. But at the same time you are limiting their horizon..even if this is not a part of your mission. The only problem I see with experimenting with cables/tweaks/mods, except money spent, is that it tend to destroy the pure joy of listening to music at times when it get to intense and it is easy to loose the focus on the most important stuff. Only listening to details instead of music flow is not a good mission for the final result IMHO. My advise is to pay attension to goose bumps and tapping toes!
wink.gif

I'm inclined to agree with Cornan here. But I'd also like to say the difference does not have to always translate into sounding better, worse or the same. Sometimes people would like improved functionality, durability or aesthetics. I love modifying my headphones to make them do things the designers didn't implement, or offered a weak cable. I've seen people complain that this headphone didn't have this function, that plug, or didn't come balanced. Well it can be remedied by cable options. Everyone determines their own value of any item. Whether you want to have an integrated microphone or strive for purely unabashed sound quality.

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #11,514 of 18,762
 I don't think there are a lot of Eddie Current Balanced Act owners here.

Speaking of which, did any of your other amps compare to it, particularly the Marantz 2285B, Pioneer SX1280,  Woo WA2 or the Audio GD Master 7?

Nice to see an owner with the Fosetx among the TOTL audiophile cans i.g. Stax, Hifiman, Sennheiser, Audeze, Grado.

Do any of those other headphones reach the same hard hitting sub-bass as the Fostex with our higher end amps?

Just received the Fostex a few days back. Way to early for comparisons. Honestly, I don't really see myself using the powerful vintage amps for the sensitive TH900. After a little time, I can answer your question about sub-bass and how it compares with the other headphones I have. Early impressions are favorabls. Amazingly clear sounding and delicately tuned. The mids are not a problem on fhe ECBA, but a neutral and open tube is wanting here, rather than a lush or romantic one. Surprisingly, it plays well out of my wife's tablet, which is the main reason I got it. Ask me again in a month and I'll give you a more detailed account, out of a few amps.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #11,515 of 18,762
We all have our own missions. Your one is honorable sparing people from expensive misstakes. But at the same time you are limiting their horizon..even if this is not a part of your mission. The only problem I see with experimenting with cables/tweaks/mods, except money spent, is that it tend to destroy the pure joy of listening to music at times when it get to intense and it is easy to loose the focus on the most important stuff. Only listening to details instead of music flow is not a good mission for the final result IMHO. My advise is to pay attension to goose bumps and tapping toes!
wink.gif

A very polite and fair reply​ given that often these conversations can quickly go wrong. I appreciate you not getting defensive and remaining cordial, very cool way to handle things. Cheers.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #11,516 of 18,762
We all have our own missions. Your one is honorable sparing people from expensive misstakes. But at the same time you are limiting their horizon..even if this is not a part of your mission. The only problem I see with experimenting with cables/tweaks/mods, except money spent, is that it tend to destroy the pure joy of listening to music at times when it get to intense and it is easy to loose the focus on the most important stuff. Only listening to details instead of music flow is not a good mission for the final result IMHO. My advise is to pay attension to goose bumps and tapping toes! :wink:

I'm inclined to agree with Cornan here. But I'd also like to say the difference does not have to always translate into sounding better, worse or the same. Sometimes people would like improved functionality, durability or aesthetics. I love modifying my headphones to make them do things the designers didn't implement, or offered a weak cable. I've seen people complain that this headphone didn't have this function, that plug, or didn't come balanced. Well it can be remedied by cable options. Everyone determines their own value of any item. Whether you want to have an integrated microphone or strive for purely unabashed sound quality.

So true! It is not always the end result that counts. It is to enjoy the journey. Over the years I have spent more money and effort on tweaks than on Hifi gears. A waste of money and time according to many out there on hifi forums. A good journey IF you ask me! :) One of my best tweaks is extremely cheap though. Equipment grounding and virtual grounding. Cannot listen to music without it anymore! :wink:

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #11,517 of 18,762

I do as well, but that isn't what aspect of the hobby my post was about. I spent $500 on a custom cable for functionality reasons, and I agree completely that aesthetic is itself a valid reason. My only point is that if there was somebody really trying hard to make a significant, and easily noticeable sound quality improvement for their system, and money was an issue, one of the least impactful things they could do would be to purchase expensive cables. Certainly compared to say changing a headphone or DAC. However, for those at the point in their audio journey where the investment is something they can make then they should be able to enjoy what cables bring for them on a personal level.  

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #11,518 of 18,762
Agree! A good amp and headphones/speakers will always win the battle of SQ over cables...but cables can bring out the best of it and possibly even the odds!

I do as well, but that isn't what aspect of the hobby my post was about. I spent $500 on a custom cable for functionality reasons, and I agree completely that aesthetic is itself a valid reason. My only point is that if there was somebody really trying hard to make a significant, and easily noticeable sound quality improvement for their system, and money was an issue, one of the least impactful things they could do would be to purchase expensive cables. Certainly compared to say changing a headphone or DAC. However, for those at the point in their audio journey where the investment is something they can make then they should be able to enjoy what cables bring for them on a personal level.  

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #11,519 of 18,762
Something strange happens there! :D

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #11,520 of 18,762
Hey Guys, been running my TH-900s out of a dB Labs Tranq DAC > Gilmore lite for 2 ish years now, sound signature is a little dry and impersonal.

Purchased a ifi Micro iDSD, sound alright, but not different enough to make me want to keep it.

Really want to try some tubes, add some warmth.

Anyone got any tube amp recommendations? (WA7 seems like im paying for a DAC I wont use and ZDSE is a little out of my price range)

Old though your post is, I see from your profile you're still sticking with your Gilmore Lite (a nice amp BTW). Forget the Wa7 and forget the iFi. One of the best decisions I made in this hobby was making the leap from Mid-fi (wish I had done it from the very start). Save up for the Zana. If it takes you a year save up for it. If it means selling most of your equipment, do it. There aren't many obvious jumps you can make in this hobby. Going from a G-lite to a Zana is a jump and one that will pay dividends. The WA7 is very much sideways to your G-lite and sideways (more often than not) is a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back