Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #7,006 of 18,761
I saw the Fostex HP-A8C a few weeks ago go for around $860ish (IIRC) on Amazon, but it was only for a few days. Now it's back to $1100. That deal will probably come back again with the back to school season.

After thinking things through, I still think I would be better off with a portable amp. Even though a desktop amp might be a million times better, I guess the added mobility is more important for me.

Having said that, I'm still not quite sure what to pick. This is one time where I have to admit there are too many options...all seem really good at what they do.

May 16, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #7,007 of 18,761
^^ I respectfully disagree. I feel some items i've owned have had a more dramatic change over time than others, but keep in mind that there are many things that change during the initial period of using it; timber cups, the stiffness of the pads, the fibres of the driver etc. I do 90% of my burn in with the headphones off my head. So how is my brain suddenly noticing a change after 40hrs of burn-in? Would it not have noticed the same change if i put the headphones on at the beginning, took them off immediately and then put them on 5 mins later? Why did the extra 40hrs of time away from the headphones make a difference? In my experience, i have noticed the effects of burn-in, ymmv.

Its all good that we all have different opinions on the subject. If its real to you then awesome.
Ive designed my own speakers, even hand built them. cones, spiders, surrounds dont break in.
Think of it like this, if a driver manufacturer built drivers that were not consistant and we constantly changing, they wouldnt be in business very long.

but we will never agree and thats cool, this hobby would suck if everyone thought the same.

May 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #7,008 of 18,761
The new iFi NAno series seem to be decent, according to some people I've spoken to.
http://ifi-audio.com/products/nano/

Both units should cost you about $500 or so, or maybe less. Use both while on your desktop setup, and just bring the Nano iDSD while on-the go, or both if you can spare the space in your bag. Seems to tick most of the right boxes - Burr Brown chipset, XMOS receiver, PCM, DSD & DXD playback.

May 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #7,009 of 18,761
Its all good that we all have different opinions on the subject. If its real to you then awesome.
Ive designed my own speakers, even hand built them. cones, spiders, surrounds dont break in.
Think of it like this, if a driver manufacturer built drivers that were not consistant and we constantly changing, they wouldnt be in business very long.

but we will never agree and thats cool, this hobby would suck if everyone thought the same.

:beerchug:

May 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #7,010 of 18,761
I saw the Fostex HP-A8C a few weeks ago go for around $860ish (IIRC) on Amazon, but it was only for a few days. Now it's back to $1100. That deal will probably come back again with the back to school season.

After thinking things through, I still think I would be better off with a portable amp. Even though a desktop amp might be a million times better, I guess the added mobility is more important for me.

Having said that, I'm still not quite sure what to pick. This is one time where I have to admit there are too many options...all seem really good at what they do.

I've got a Leckerton UHA760 and I'm pretty happy with it, though honestly I have no idea how it would compare to any Summit-Fi level stuff.

May 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #7,011 of 18,761
  Hey guys,
I'm planning to purchase a TH900 in the coming months. I would also like a small AMP + DAC to go with it (I will be using it with a laptop). I would need the following specs:
1. Solid State
2. USB connection
3. AMP + DAC preferably, unless someone says an amp alone makes more of a difference
4. around $500-800 ish
Obviously I would prefer a mobile, portable amp (for the battery benefits), BUT I will consider a desktop amp too.
Which one of these would be best to drive the Fostex TH900? Or is there another amp in this category that I have blatantly overlooked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I listen exclusively portable. I use a Ray Samuels Audio Intruder.  If fits all of the above criteria for $700.  Only caveat is that the computer USB is limited to 16/44.  If you use redbook rips, that should be fine.  I have only used the USB for burn-in, and make sure it works.  Also just noticed on RSA website, there is a 10th anniversary Intruder that eliminates the DAC section for $500.

I am listening to (don't judge) Slayer - South of Heaven right now.  For an 80 production CD, the drums are full and impacttful.  320 kbps ipod touch>> LOD>> RSA Intruder >>Balanced connector>> Factory Fostex cable>> TH900.

Man I can't believe how good these headphones make old 80's metal CDs sound.

I would strongly suggest checking out the Intruder, SR-71B, or Lightning by RSA.

Enjoy the music...

May 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7,013 of 18,761
Listening the flac version of Lorde - 400 Lux right now, dang the bass is awesome on TH900.

May 16, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #7,014 of 18,761
  I listen exclusively portable. I use a Ray Samuels Audio Intruder.  If fits all of the above criteria for $700.  Only caveat is that the computer USB is limited to 16/44.  If you use redbook rips, that should be fine.  I have only used the USB for burn-in, and make sure it works.  Also just noticed on RSA website, there is a 10th anniversary Intruder that eliminates the DAC section for $500.

I am listening to (don't judge) Slayer - South of Heaven right now.  For an 80 production CD, the drums are full and impacttful.  320 kbps ipod touch>> LOD>> RSA Intruder >>Balanced connector>> Factory Fostex cable>> TH900.

Man I can't believe how good these headphones make old 80's metal CDs sound.

I would strongly suggest checking out the Intruder, SR-71B, or Lightning by RSA.

Enjoy the music...

Sorry but I had SR71b with CLAS -db with the top of line LOD, balance interconnect, etc..., it doesn't make TH900 shine.
If you really have to go with the portable gears then you have no choice, but avoid portable at all cost :)

Just my opinion.

May 16, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #7,015 of 18,761
What do people think about the stock cable? Aside from it being too long?

I believe it's the same cable that's used in the d7000 and I don't know what people are smoking when they say that cable is crap. It's 7N OCC, much better than what you'll find in many of the aftermarket cables. I just trimmed mine on the d7000 and terminated with a balanced plug...and made a 1/4" adapter and also a mini->RCA cable from the extra cable.

Any thoughts?

May 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #7,016 of 18,761

I believe it's the same cable that's used in the d7000 and I don't know what people are smoking when they say that cable is crap. It's 7N OCC, much better than what you'll find in many of the aftermarket cables. I just trimmed mine on the d7000 and terminated with a balanced plug...and made a 1/4" adapter and also a mini->RCA cable from the extra cable.

Any thoughts?

Apart from the length, it's perfectly fine. It's smooth to the touch, doesn't easily tangle and isn't overly prone to microphonics. I've seen many aftermarket cables that don't come close.

May 16, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #7,017 of 18,761

Any thoughts?

It is the ONE weakness of these phones in my opinion purely from a usefulness standpoint - too long and too thick and stiff.  All the Denon's were the same deal.  I was fortunate to have bought my TH900 from Greed with the Q French Silk cable swapped on to it and then I had BTG audio do the same to my D7000.  Cost was about $230.   Shortened both cables to 3.5' and now they are both perfect to me. 

May 16, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #7,018 of 18,761
It is the ONE weakness of these phones in my opinion purely from a usefulness standpoint - too long and too thick and stiff.  All the Denon's were the same deal.  I was fortunate to have bought my TH900 from Greed with the Q French Silk cable swapped on to it and then I had BTG audio do the same to my D7000.  Cost was about $230.   Shortened both cables to 3.5' and now they are both perfect to me. 
Weakness in what way? Length? I'm pretty sure that no aftermarket cable company uses better copper, so unless one is looking for a prettier cable or an easier to handle cable, it's hard to believe that they'll better the stock cable in quality.

May 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #7,019 of 18,761
Weakness in what way? Length? I'm pretty sure that no aftermarket cable company uses better copper, so unless one is looking for a prettier cable or an easier to handle cable, it's hard to believe that they'll better the stock cable in quality.

He said "too long too thick too stiff". While I don't own a Fostex, I own a Denon and agree the cable is too long for general use.
It's annoying to have such a long cord when you don't need it. At least it doesn't tangle. That'd be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back