Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #6,856 of 18,760
  I actually have one coming in the mail tomorrow! Can't wait to listen to it, hopefully I like it enough to sell my Lyr too. 

Very cool. Give the Soloist at least 25-50 hours of burn in to get to the sweet spot. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #6,857 of 18,760
Agree HPA8

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #6,858 of 18,760
Agree HPA8

Sorry to disagree but I didn't like the HPA8 much at all, at the time I auditioned 3 dac/amp combos Grace M903, Asus Essence one "Muses" Edition, and Fostex HPA8, the HPA8 was my least favorite out of the 3 lacking in soundstage, musicality, and imaging.

However I have to say, when I auditioned theses dac's the HP-A8 was just released so maybe the latest firmware may change my view

Apr 29, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #6,859 of 18,760
However I have to say, when I auditioned theses dac's the HP-A8 was just released so maybe the latest firmware may change my view
on a side note i recently updated the drivers for my Eximus DP1 assuming that it was just a bug fix. I was completely floored when I heard the increase in sonic performance after the update, the best "free" upgrade I have ever done.
Moral of the story: update your software.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #6,860 of 18,760

Sorry to disagree but I didn't like the HPA8 much at all, at the time I auditioned 3 dac/amp combos Grace M903, Asus Essence one "Muses" Edition, and Fostex HPA8, the HPA8 was my least favorite out of the 3 lacking in soundstage, musicality, and imaging.

Did you play with the settings? The HP-A8 has a ton of settings, from gain, to up sampling and filter, that may have altered your opinion of the unit.

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6,861 of 18,760
on a side note i recently updated the drivers for my Eximus DP1 assuming that it was just a bug fix. I was completely floored when I heard the increase in sonic performance after the update, the best "free" upgrade I have ever done.
Moral of the story: update your software.

DP1 is a dac I really want to try, everyone who has one has nothing but good things to say, it's known as the musicality monster dac
biggrin.gif

Did you play with the settings? The HP-A8 has a ton of settings, from gain, to up sampling and filter, that may have altered your opinion of the unit.

I did but couldn't find the sweet spot. As I said firmware could make all the differences. If I get a chance to try the HP-A8 at this weekends Sydney meet I will and give you an update

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #6,862 of 18,760
I'm up to 3.0 and tweaked settings to 32 bit 192 frequency etc, while I can't comment on those other dacs, they must be truly wonderful as the a8 does it for me nicely, good soundstage and imaging......

May 4, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #6,865 of 18,760
  My TH900 have no harshness/fatigue at all, they did not left my head for 12 hours straight last WE, and I'm delicate.

I see you're liking the TH900 a lot! I will be purchasing another one soon. :wink:

Don't forget that your unit is very special in that your earcup wires and cable are all extremely good. A well-burned-in silver cable does not sound "bright" as people always think. It results in a much fuller body, deeper more layered soundstage, more realism, and everything is clean and crisp, no blurring between the lines. The Q French Silk is quite the cable as well so what you're hearing might just be due to the infinitely better wiring that's inside the cables you're using than anyone else here since most have stock and it's made up of SPC (Silver plated copper) which tends to have some harshness in the highs.

May 4, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #6,866 of 18,760

I see you're liking the TH900 a lot! I will be purchasing another one soon. :wink:

Don't forget that your unit is very special in that your earcup wires and cable are all extremely good. A well-burned-in silver cable does not sound "bright" as people always think. It results in a much fuller body, deeper more layered soundstage, more realism, and everything is clean and crisp, no blurring between the lines. The Q French Silk is quite the cable as well so what you're hearing might just be due to the infinitely better wiring that's inside the cables you're using than anyone else here since most have stock and it's made up of SPC (Silver plated copper) which tends to have some harshness in the highs.

Amen to that, I must say I'm very glad I stole your unit from your hands. 
biggrin.gif

I must say it's full of surprises too.
When plugging it to Bakoon HPA-21, bass become very tight and explosive, and all layers are quite distinct.
When coupling it with Trafomatic Head-one, it's more smooth, a bit flatter, more subdued. Overall sounds always very… silky and silvery, shimmering.
Anyways, after a few hours of listening, I've been totally fed up with HD800, found it dull and harsh.
With TH900, after hundreds of hours now since december, it's always a discovery.

May 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #6,868 of 18,760

Hi GG, thanks to your original review and pictures I decided to get Peter's DHC Complement3 cables and triple threat adapters for my TH900's.  I don't have them yet and am having withdrawals waiting for them to return.

May 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #6,870 of 18,760
Auralic vega is my wish :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back