Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #6,842 of 18,760
  Nice! getting the C4 for sure. 

One more question, from your experience with c4, do u think any mod is needed?

Why get an expensive, currently redundant, DAP just for one pair of headphones? You can probably get a decent desktop amp or amp/dac that would do better than a C4. Or a better DAP at the C4's price that would drive the TH900 better and yet be more usable. My own two cents.  

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #6,843 of 18,760
  Why get an expensive, currently redundant, DAP just for one pair of headphones? You can probably get a decent desktop amp or amp/dac that would do better than a C4. Or a better DAP at the C4's price that would drive the TH900 better and yet be more usable. My own two cents.  

Why is c4 redundant, I dont know the DAP well enough as I only became a hi-fier this year? Or u meant a DAP is redundant? 

I'm got ibasso d6 as my portable dac/amp to use in uni and for home setup I use MAC daccord and MAC classic. My other headphones apart from the th900 that would require some extra juice are only hd650 and beyer t90, rest of the cans I own are senn ie80, momentum, amperior, beyer COP, dt770pro 80ohms, and beats pro detox, which are not always requiring any amping I think. 

Do you have any recommendation in mind for a DAP that is than better the c4?

At the moment, a better DAP can really improve my outdoor listening from my ipod nano and I actually found it quite helpful that c4 has a 6mm phone input for most of my cans since they all come with a 6mm jack

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6,845 of 18,760
Why is c4 redundant, I dont know the DAP well enough as I only became a hi-fier this year? Or u meant a DAP is redundant? 

I'm got ibasso d6 as my portable dac/amp to use in uni and for home setup I use MAC daccord and MAC classic. My other headphones apart from the th900 that would require some extra juice are only hd650 and beyer t90, rest of the cans I own are senn ie80, momentum, amperior, beyer COP, dt770pro 80ohms, and beats pro detox, which are not always requiring any amping I think. 

At the moment, a better DAP can really improve my outdoor listening from my ipod nano and I actually found it quite helpful that c4 has a 6mm phone input for most of my cans since they all come with a 6mm jack

I'm not going to get into a war of opinions with anyone....All I can tell you is my experience of actually hearing these models and combinations....regardless of specs on paper. The C4 is a kind of marmite product for some. What isn't in doubt is it's sound quality and power, from that 6.3 output. Others here will also testify to amazing synergy of this particular headphone and dap. The C4 considered on it's own merits has obvious competition. It's a quirky but classy piece of engineering and capabilities, without the small talk and Armani suit :wink:

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #6,846 of 18,760

I meant the former. If a 1/4 output is needed, then if i'm not wrong, the only DAP options are the C4 and DX100. With the DX100 having more power to run your more "thirsty" headphones.

I just feel that the price for these, you could probably get something newer, more portable, maybe better sounding, more suited for your IEMs/portable cans and definitely more value for your money. X5, DX90, HM802 and HM901 etc. You just have to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor to use when at home with your bigger cans which I'm assuming you don't intend to bring out of the house and walk around with anyway. I use the my 901 with my TH900 with IEM card and balance card like this and I think it's fine though out of something like the Concero HP, it's definitely better. 

Most people would probably tell you to use a desktop amp to go with desktop cans, I can understand wanting to have something with dual usage. Good luck with your search. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #6,847 of 18,760
awwww...I havent actually heard both DAP(hm901 and c4) with th900, here in Australia people are pretty restrained. Anyone has listened to both of the DAP?

I meant the former. If a 1/4 output is needed, then if i'm not wrong, the only DAP options are the C4 and DX100. With the DX100 having more power to run your more "thirsty" headphones.

I just feel that the price for these, you could probably get something newer, more portable, maybe better sounding, more suited for your IEMs/portable cans and definitely more value for your money. X5, DX90, HM802 and HM901 etc. You just have to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor to use when at home with your bigger cans which I'm assuming you don't intend to bring out of the house and walk around with anyway. I use the my 901 with my TH900 with IEM card and balance card like this and I think it's fine though out of something like the Concero HP, it's definitely better. 

Most people would probably tell you to use a desktop amp to go with desktop cans, I can understand wanting to have something with dual usage. Good luck with your search. 

Do you need to change the cable to balanced when you plug th900 into hm901 with balanced card?

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #6,848 of 18,760
I'll check it out, thanks!

I ran the Lyr when I first got my 900s. Not horrible but definitely not the ideal amp for the 900s. I sold the Lyr and went with the Soloist after a ton of reading. Its the perfect complement for the 900s would highly recommend. Stay away from tube amps, listened to the Woo Wa22 and it sounded awful with the 900s, SS is the way to go. Skip the Soloist Sl as well, on paper it sounds like it should work well with the 900s due to its lower output but you will sacrifice sound quality compared to the original.

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #6,851 of 18,760
I ran the Lyr when I first got my 900s. Not horrible but definitely not the ideal amp for the 900s. I sold the Lyr and went with the Soloist after a ton of reading. Its the perfect complement for the 900s would highly recommend. Stay away from tube amps, listened to the Woo Wa22 and it sounded awful with the 900s, SS is the way to go. Skip the Soloist Sl as well, on paper it sounds like it should work well with the 900s due to its lower output but you will sacrifice sound quality compared to the original.

I actually have one coming in the mail tomorrow! Can't wait to listen to it, hopefully I like it enough to sell my Lyr too. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,852 of 18,760
Fours hours non-stop yesterday with my TH900 and the Mjolnir. Fun(HP) + Slight aggression (Mjolnir) = No idea how time flew 
dt880smile.png

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #6,853 of 18,760

Of course it is not that simple. At least, stay away from amplifiers (both tube and SS) that have a high output impedance, because the TH-900 is a low impedance can (about 26 Ohm), and too much gain because of the high sensitivity of the TH900. Many report very good matchings with both tube amplifiers and ss amps.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #6,855 of 18,760

Of course it is not that simple. At least, stay away from amplifiers (both tube and SS) that have a high output impedance, because the TH-900 is a low impedance can (about 26 Ohm), and too much gain because of the high sensitivity of the TH900. Many report very good matchings with both tube amplifiers and ss amps.

I should have been more clear. The 900s match will with some higher end tube amps but in the price range he referenced I think you are much better going SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back