Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #6,631 of 18,761
  At 7:07 in the video he says that the TH600 is identical to the TH900 except for the aluminum cups. I don't think that's true.

Don't think so either: the magnet system seems to be different (with the TH900 offering 1,5T of magnetic flux density, while the TH600 is labelled as 1T), the TH900 has a 7N OFC cord, the TH600 features 6N (for what thats worth... I don't think thats any kind of relevant distinction), the sensitivity of the TH900 is quite a bit higher (100dB/mW vs. 94 dB/mW).
Not sure about the part numbers of the pads, though. They look and feel quite the same to me.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #6,632 of 18,761
Just got my TH900 pair.  Sorry to be tardy to the party but, oh man, I should have just saved up two years ago and got these.  It would  have saved me the trouble of going through the Beyerdynamic T5p, Grado RS1, JVC dx700, HIFiman he5, and countless others.  I ordered the angled pads to see if they work any better but I don't see how these things could sound better.

What do you guys think about mods?

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #6,633 of 18,761
Just got my TH900 pair.  Sorry to be tardy to the party but, oh man, I should have just saved up two years ago and got these.  It would  have saved me the trouble of going through the Beyerdynamic T5p, Grado RS1, JVC dx700, HIFiman he5, and countless others.  I ordered the angled pads to see if they work any better but I don't see how these things could sound better.

What do you guys think about mods?

My 0.02. Don't bother with any mods. I did replace the stock cable with balanced, though.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #6,634 of 18,761
Gotcha, I probably won't to be honest, seems like changing a Ferrari - why pay for the greatness to change it?  Others swear by it though. 

I'm currently using a Little Dot mmii tube amp, any thoughts about that?

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #6,636 of 18,761
I know most of you have transitioned the Fostex to balanced cables and amping, but, frankly, I'm wary to lose the universal connectivity that the 1/4 inch jack offers me right now.  Do they make such a think that you can interchange cables?

p.s. I also have a cambridge Audio DACMagic plus with balanced outputs. Im currently using that as a DAC only to send the feed to the little dot.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #6,637 of 18,761
I know most of you have transitioned the Fostex to balanced cables and amping, but, frankly, I'm wary to lose the universal connectivity that the 1/4 inch jack offers me right now.  Do they make such a think that you can interchange cables?

p.s. I also have a cambridge Audio DACMagic plus with balanced outputs. Im currently using that as a DAC only to send the feed to the little dot.

The way to retain flexibility is to get a cable done which will end in a female plug. You will also need two extensions, one that ends in a 1/4 in plug and the other that terminates into a 4 pin XLR. That way, you can change the extension cable to suit the amp. Check out companies like Moon Audio which will go these cable mods. You will have to send them your HP though

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #6,638 of 18,761
The way to retain flexibility is to get a cable done which will end in a female plug. You will also need two extensions, one that ends in a 1/4 in plug and the other that terminates into a 4 pin XLR. That way, you can change the extension cable to suit the amp. Check out companies like Moon Audio which will go these cable mods. You will have to send them your HP though

Do you think they can do it without making a bulky XLR connector on the end?  Like maybe make some sort of small connector that you can put on an XLR plug OR a 1/4 inch jack?  That huge XLR-> 1/4 converter adds so much bulk.

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #6,640 of 18,761
I could be BANNED for ever from this thread for the terrible thing that  I am going to confess 
redface.gif
 :  

I used to love my TH900, but now that I have the Roxane, I prefer the Roxane better and the TH900 seems "boring" compared !  Can you believe this 
size]

I just need to get used to the fit: they are so much bigger than my previous Customs ! I am still not comfortable with them (expecialy 1 ear) .... I hope my ear will adapt !

Mar 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #6,641 of 18,761
  I could be BANNED for ever from this thread for the terrible thing that  I am going to confess 
redface.gif
 :  

I used to love my TH900, but now that I have the Roxane, I prefer the Roxane better and the TH900 seems "boring" compared !  Can you believe this 
size]

I just need to get used to the fit: they are so much bigger than my previous Customs ! I am still not comfortable with them (expecialy 1 ear) .... I hope my ear will adapt !

New gear syndrome. Come back in 6 months and let us know how you feel. 
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #6,642 of 18,761
Actually, I felt the same when I first got my FitEar MH335DW in January this year. Didn't say anything since I thought it was just new toy syndrome. Now, almost two months later, I still kinda feel that way, tbh. Custom IEMs have definitely come a long way, and unless something truly game-changing comes along in the full-sized arena, my future endeavours will probably focus on the CIEM segment. Having said that, my TH900 isn't going anywhere for the time being. No headphone gives me that subwoofer-like kick in the gut the way the TH900 does, especially with electronica.

@bmichels
Sounds like you might need a re-fit.

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #6,643 of 18,761
I could be BANNED for ever from this thread for the terrible thing that  I am going to confess :xf_eek:  :  

I used to love my TH900, but now that I have the Roxane, I prefer the Roxane better and the TH900 seems "boring" compared !  Can you believe this :eek:  

it's cool - fan of the k3003 myself. but the th900 is anything but boring. :)

Mar 19, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #6,644 of 18,761
I dunno, I don't usually take issue with how someone hears things, but boring seems to me to be the least applicable adjective for the TH900s. 
Please don't take offense Bmichels, I respect your opinion and apologize in advance, I'm just disagreeing (heartily).
So apologies in advance and best to you.
For me, the TH900s have an almost magical quality.

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #6,645 of 18,761
  I dunno, I don't usually take issue with how someone hears things, but boring seems to me to be the least applicable adjective for the TH900s. 
Please don't take offense Bmichels, I respect your opinion and apologize in advance, I'm just disagreeing (heartily).
So apologies in advance and best to you.
For me, the TH900s have an almost magical quality.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back