Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,791 of 18,762
Maybe a mod would -improve- things a bit, maybe just tune them different... To my ears as well they already sound great the way they are; unlike for example the W1000X I tried not so long ago, from the first listen (and to an extent that no "burn-in" would ever fix)

I might like the brightness of the TH900 to be toned down just a smidgen
, but in light of delicateness of the cups and the general cost I personally would not take that risk. (And besides, since it's fairly subtle it can be dialed in further up the chain) Again unlike the aforementioned W1000X for example where I would have no qualms about it if I could be bothered...

I would not in any way describe my 900's as 'bright'. Maybe it's something upstream in your configuration?

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,792 of 18,762
Well, they have a kinda u-shaped curve that puts more emphasis on the low and top end. They're not "bright" headphones in comparison to other headphones considered as such -in general-, I just personally find them to be -a touch- bright for -my taste-, regardless of setup. And on some recordings more than others, where it can verge on sibilance (which of course wouldn't just be an issue on the TH900)

It is very controlled though, unlike some other headphones that would just not do it for me no matter what setup. And as I already mentioned, it is subtle enough to be controlled upstream, which I have indeed done on my favourite setup(s), as you suggested.

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #5,793 of 18,762
I do wonder about this brightness thing. The problem is that there is no "control" system that everyone can compare against. The treble through my DP1 is smooth and very enjoyable, but in saying that I have several tracks (mostly pop) that sound a bit harsh and piercing. If 90% of my music was squeaky female J-pop I don't think the TH900's would be my preferred HP.

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #5,794 of 18,762
RE: Brightness

1. Fit
Positioning and ear-shape have a lot to do with the sound. If I sort of play with their positioning, I can make them sound a tad bright. I've even made my old LCD-2 (generally considered a dark headphone) sound bright like that, by angling the cup in a certain way. The TH900's default fit on my head is fine, thankfully, but on certain skulls I can see them sounding a tad bright. I don't have any worked-out science behind this though, so consider it anectodal. As far as I can recall, the only overly bright period I experienced with the TH900 was during the first 20 hours of burn-in.

2. Digititus
Mainly source related. Sometimes it's just the nature of the record, sometimes it's the nature of the DAC. Most of the time it's a combination of both. Some people are able to counter that with a thick sounding tube-amp, but if your amplification is very linear and unabashedly solid-state in character, then it's the DAC's output stage you'll need to work on. Personally, I find my ears rather averse to the coin-in-mouth signature of Sabre DACs, whether cheaper USB-powered ones or even high-end units like the Resonassense Invicta. I'm sure there are exceptions to the Sabre implementation, but most I've encountered that don't feature this digititus tend to be very expensive (beyond $6K) units. For that reason alone, I tend to stick to wetter-sounding Wolfson or AKM based DACs, though I suppose there are exceptions to those implementations as well.

3. Origins
Nothing to do with biology or ethnicity. I'm talking about the sound your brain is accustomed to. When I still had the LCD-2, I found that switching between them and the TH900 made the latter sound a tad bright, but not overly so. Took a while for the brain to lock onto the signature, but after that it was good. If you're the type that's been using dark DJ cans his whole life (AiAiAi-TMA, ATH-Pro700, Pioneer HDJ, etc) then even the thickest, darkest "audiophile" grade headphones are going to end up sounding bright in comparison. Heck, I once heard the ATH-Pro700 mkII and even the voice of my own conscience sounded dark after that.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #5,795 of 18,762
RE: Brightness

1. Fit
Positioning and ear-shape have a lot to do with the sound. If I sort of play with their positioning, I can make them sound a tad bright. I've even made my old LCD-2 (generally considered a dark headphone) sound bright like that, by angling the cup in a certain way. The TH900's default fit on my head is fine, thankfully, but on certain skulls I can see them sounding a tad bright. I don't have any worked-out science behind this though, so consider it anectodal. As far as I can recall, the only overly bright period I experienced with the TH900 was during the first 20 hours of burn-in.

2. Digititus
Mainly source related. Sometimes it's just the nature of the record, sometimes it's the nature of the DAC. Most of the time it's a combination of both. Some people are able to counter that with a thick sounding tube-amp, but if your amplification is very linear and unabashedly solid-state in character, then it's the DAC's output stage you'll need to work on. Personally, I find my ears rather averse to the coin-in-mouth signature of Sabre DACs, whether cheaper USB-powered ones or even high-end units like the Resonassense Invicta. I'm sure there are exceptions to the Sabre implementation, but most I've encountered that don't feature this digititus tend to be very expensive (beyond $6K) units. For that reason alone, I tend to stick to wetter-sounding Wolfson or AKM based DACs, though I suppose there are exceptions to those implementations as well.

3. Origins
Nothing to do with biology or ethnicity. I'm talking about the sound your brain is accustomed to. When I still had the LCD-2, I found that switching between them and the TH900 made the latter sound a tad bright, but not overly so. Took a while for the brain to lock onto the signature, but after that it was good. If you're the type that's been using dark DJ cans his whole life (AiAiAi-TMA, ATH-Pro700, Pioneer HDJ, etc) then even the thickest, darkest "audiophile" grade headphones are going to end up sounding bright in comparison. Heck, I once heard the ATH-Pro700 mkII and even the voice of my own conscience sounded dark after that.

All valid points Kurochin. This is why I think that it is more valuable to compare the signatures of two (or more) HPs, rather than just saying that the listener finds them bright.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #5,796 of 18,762

I hear what you're saying (no pun intended) and I have no complaints about them.  That said, I remember what the D7000 was like before and after Lawton mods and can only imagine the possibilities of improving the TH900.

The TH900 is the uber-improved version of the D7000...more controlled and tighter bass...more mellow treble...increased soundstage.  It is almost sacrilegious to mess up with perfection.

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #5,798 of 18,762
The TH900 is the uber-improved version of the D7000...more controlled and tighter bass...more mellow treble...increased soundstage.  It is almost sacrilegious to mess up with perfection.

My experience is they basically sound almost exactly like my Lawton modded D7000. Not much better if at all, which is not a knock on the TH900 (I love these things) but a tribute to how good my D7000 sound and by extension Marks work.

And my opinion is there is no such thing as perfection in anything. The stock cable, for example is not good, and I am thrilled Greed had BTG replace it with a sweet cable and I benefited from it. Way better.

To each their own. To my ears my this is a clone to my D7000, so yes, it's improved in stock form over the D7000, and my point is imagine if you could get the jump in sound performance like I did with my D7000. That would be an amazing feat.

Agree to disagree I guess, so have a great Thanksgiving! What a great hobby and what a great forum for this obsession!

Nov 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #5,799 of 18,762
RE: Perfection

No such thing as a perfect headphone. Make me one that transforms into a skinny supermodel capable of riding me while mixing a gin-tonic at the same time, and then I'll call it perfect. Till then, it's horses for courses. Get what sounds good to you, what you can afford, what doesn't make that voice inside your head whisper "first world problem" on a constant basis.

...and Happy Turkey day to all in Yankland.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #5,800 of 18,762
My experience is they basically sound almost exactly like my Lawton modded D7000. Not much better if at all, which is not a knock on the TH900 (I love these things) but a tribute to how good my D7000 sound and by extension Marks work.

And my opinion is there is no such thing as perfection in anything. The stock cable, for example is not good, and I am thrilled Greed had BTG replace it with a sweet cable and I benefited from it. Way better.

To each their own. To my ears my this is a clone to my D7000, so yes, it's improved in stock form over the D7000, and my point is imagine if you could get the jump in sound performance like I did with my D7000. That would be an amazing feat.

Agree to disagree I guess, so have a great Thanksgiving! What a great hobby and what a great forum for this obsession!

If you are so positive why don't yo go for the Lawton mod with your TH900?

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #5,802 of 18,762
I don't hear much if any brightness at all on my TH900 powered by the "subjectively" lowly NFB 5.32, personally.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #5,803 of 18,762
Nov 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #5,804 of 18,762

With regard to replacement headphone cable, which would be better, Copper or Silver?

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #5,805 of 18,762
With regard to replacement headphone cable, which would be better, Copper or Silver?

I honestly don't know.. Lots of guys are very knowledgeable on what sonic differences each type of wire favor. I am not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back