Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #13,186 of 18,761
i feel comfortably chilled thanks :wink: but if that's how you perceive my responses to your posts then i'm happy to oblige

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #13,187 of 18,761
Just wanted to share some pics of my TH900 after getting upgraded with Lawton Jet Black African Ebony cups and Lawton leather pads (and tune up kit inside of the cups).

Shout out to @PETEREK for all the work he has done on the headphones for me (installing all the Lawton stuff and detachable HD800 connector mod). 

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #13,191 of 18,761
very nice pervysage. the ear cups have a monolithic quality. hope you enjoy your new lawton headphone. :wink:

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #13,194 of 18,761
Well, do call me sentimentalic. Ebony looks sweet, personally I am still after urushi. Mona Lisa is Mona Lisa how Leonardo Da Vinci made her, when another artist repaint Mona Lisa it is not the same.

That is no comparison at all.
You even could reverse it and say wood is wood, you can't recreate it with lacquer.
You have destroyed it and taken all the lovely grain away.

No, I have nothing against the urushi, it looks very nice, I just prefer wood grain.
I find the W3000ANVs finish more of a succes than urushi.
And I love the looks of many of the Lawton offerings.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #13,196 of 18,761
I edited it. Ebony have a fantastic look, no doubt. I only think it is a shame removing the Japanese tree and a japanise laque tradition.
It is a part of the Fostex soul if you could call it that.
I am after the artistic feel and the headphone feel as a whole and would never change it. My opinion ofc.
Again, it is your headphone and everyone can change it as the person please. Thanks god :)
Pardon my grammar, english is not a native.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #13,197 of 18,761
That is no comparison at all.
You even could reverse it and say wood is wood, you can't recreate it with lacquer.
You have destroyed it and taken all the lovely grain away.

No, I have nothing against the urushi, it looks very nice, I just prefer wood grain.
I find the W3000ANVs finish more of a succes than urushi.
And I love the looks of many of the Lawton offerings.

you can barely see the wood grain in the w3000anv ear cups in normal light. they also have a monolithic quality and are gorgeous. the th900's cups are highly decorative and are stunning in the flesh. photos tend not to do them justice.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #13,198 of 18,761
Other builders have made a living upgrading other models of Fostex phones. One or two which I own. I would love to have a set of Lawton modded th900's. But it would have to be a second set of th900's bought just for the purpose. I've 'bonded' with my set. I won't even re-wire the cable to balanced. I bought a microZOTL 2 amp instead. :wink:

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #13,199 of 18,761
I edited it. Ebony have a fantastic look, no doubt. I only think it is a shame removing the Japanese tree and a japanise laque tradition.
It is a part of the Fostex soul if you could call it that.
I am after the artistic feel and the headphone feel as a whole and would never change it. My opinion ofc.
Again, it is your headphone and everyone can change it as the person please. Thanks god :)
Pardon my grammar, english is not a native.

i understand where you're coming from and feel the same way. it's been a point of contention in this thread. like most differences of opinion here it boils down to personal preference.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #13,200 of 18,761
i understand where you're coming from and feel the same way. it's been a point of contention in this thread. like most differences of opinion here it boils down to personal preference.

Lets agree on one thing up late, TH900 are fantastic set of headphones :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back