Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 21, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #13,097 of 18,761
Quite right.

Why do people enjoying hifi get so uppity about so many things? All over a headphone. Or because someone repeated a question that was asked earlier in a thread in excess of 2000 posts?

I thought hifi was about enjoyment of music but since the 'search' facility was mentioned earlier, I did one for the sake of this theoretical drivel......

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803863/neutral-reference-sound

As I see so often on HF .... Search is your friend.

That's funny... so up late can respond as much as he wants, but I can't? 

And actually... yes, I did do a search for "coloration" in this thread, and most of the results were merely people talking about whether or not the TH-900 was "colored", and whether or not people preferred this coloration. 

The conversation I'm having right now, however, is about whether this coloration is done on purpose or not, whether it's the manufactuers' intent to make colored headphones, colored.  There's a slight difference. 

You might be barking up the wrong tree here, I think this post was actually kinda sorta in favor of you. Not that I would want to get involved or anything. Never mind me ...
popcorn.gif

May 21, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #13,098 of 18,761
oh fuzzybaffy, surely you can't be that obtuse :wink:

ps the ideal of high fidelity sound is not my assumption to make. in other words, i didn't come up with the concept. occam's razor is a principle not a proof, and i try to leave my intuition out of rational argument. we are using "niche" differently so no, i'm not prepared to extrapolate based on your usage of it. sorry, but i'm not convinced that there is any material difference between your baseless claim and your "educated speculation". what part of "would you stop quoting my posts" and "please leave me out of it" don't you understand?

May 21, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #13,099 of 18,761
How on earth could it be possible to determine if something is Colored or Un-Colored? Wouldn't you have to have access to the Original?

May 22, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #13,101 of 18,761
Crayon marks?

Do we really need a closet professor to tell us that a headphone is coloured?

Tyll is doing some great work on headphone measurements and trying to define what 'flat' is.

Is it really that important?

Really?

Fuzzybaffy, the TH900 IS cloured. Are you happy now? And we're all really concerned about it. What IS your point?

Let's go further ..... The th900 has awful cup connections. The finish is gimmicky. It has a raised bass. It can sound toppy. The mids might be a bit recessed. The cable is a pain. There's no mini plug on it for my phone. :wink: It doesn't seal properly.

I wish we'd all bought something else and that I'd read your post before wasting my money.

Before firing off nonsense about who's allowed to speak, read Phonomat's post again.

I do hope you haven't got an hd800. The treble on it is like a needle.

May 22, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #13,102 of 18,761
I think of the treble on my hd800 is more like Frodo's Crystal. Of course the th900 is coloured. Nicely.
"Whatever temperature it is in a room, it's at room temperature"

May 22, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #13,103 of 18,761
Why even bother with cheap headphones? Everybody knows Sennheiser Orpheus is the only headphone on the market that is accurate.

May 22, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #13,104 of 18,761
I think of the treble on my hd800 is more like Frodo's Crystal. Of course the th900 is coloured. Nicely.
"Whatever temperature it is in a room, it's at room temperature"

Recap: HD800 sounds like crystal. https://youtu.be/ZrdLvSW7ezc 
biggrin.gif

Why even bother with cheap headphones? Everybody knows Sennheiser Orpheus is the only headphone on the market that is accurate.

Not necessarily. It's the most expensive one so it most certainly will be the best, that's pure logic.
But is it the best accurate or the best colored headphone? 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #13,106 of 18,761
May 22, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #13,107 of 18,761
I'm confused... what are you guys angry about, exactly? I'm not trying to "diss" the TH-900. I have a pair myself, and I enjoy it very much. 

This conversation all stems from Whitigir's comments, about how he's ok with headphones not "reaching for perfection" or trying to be "as accurate as possible". And... I'm agreeing with him. I'm saying, he should enjoy the TH-900 for what it is, because headphones aren't all about one singular, monolithic goal of going for "accuracy". The TH-900 is a decidely V-shaped headphone, and if that's what he enjoys, that's what he enjoys. And I do, too. 

If anything, it's up late who's trying to say we can't enjoy the TH-900 for what it is, because he somehow has this assumption that all headphones should strive for the same thing, one that the obviously TH-900 isn't meant to achieve, because it's unquestionably a V-shaped headphone. 

Now, as far as me telling people to "stop posting", let me clarify something. It's up late himself who kept saying he wanted to "move on", so I was just telling him, if HE wants to move on, then he can let it go himself. If he keeps saying he wants to move on, and yet keeps responding to me... how is that my problem? Why am I responsible for him moving on or not? If wants to move on, he should move on. 

If people want to continue debate, who am I to say they can't debate? Did I say anywhere that you guys can't debate? 

May 22, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #13,108 of 18,761
i said nothing of the sort and the th900 wasn't even mentioned, so stop trying to put words in my mouth and pinning your assumptions on me. you can also cut out the blame shifting, moving the goal posts, and playing the victim while you're at it. it's disingenuous and completely transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back