Fostex TH900 DAC
Nov 6, 2014 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

scott5526

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using an Ibasso D12 for awhile and its been a pretty nice DAC, probably the bottleneck in my system, but still pretty passable.

Unfortunately my Ibasso D12 blew out last night and so I need a new DAC  for my Fostex TH900.

I'm looking for a mid-centric DAC that synergizes well with a Fostex TH900 in the <$1000 price range, although I could go a little higher if there are any highly regarded DACs priced a little higher.

A Bellari HA540 is my primary amp at the moment.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a good DAC that would suit me?  I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 24
You could also go with an iBasso DB2 for a portable Balanced Dac it's like $300 ish

Are you going portable or at home 

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 24
  Unfortunately, my fostex runs SE, I don't have a balanced cable for it =[

Oh well then :3

In that case.... uhh well portable or At home? if at home try one of the ... nvm Hmm I don't know 

Most of what I've got are balanced Dacs, amps ect... I don't know much else outside balanced gear q.q 

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 24
  check aune s16 also the newest dac that use latest akm flagship chipset
price is $699

The reviews I'm seeing for this are showing that it's a little more on the neutral side.  I'm looking for something with a little boost in the midrange preferably, although a low-end bump wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 24
  Oh well then :3

In that case.... uhh well portable or At home? if at home try one of the ... nvm Hmm I don't know 

Most of what I've got are balanced Dacs, amps ect... I don't know much else outside balanced gear q.q 

Eventually I'll work my way into balanced gear. One day....  Unfortunately until then this is where I'm stuck =p

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #10 of 24
  Eventually I'll work my way into balanced gear. One day....  Unfortunately until then this is where I'm stuck =p

xD u got the TH 900 so there's that

I in stead went with a LA D5kfor like $450 [already balanced that most likely sound almost as good [if not as good] as your TH 900 ;3 

but  yea upgrading to balanced gear is expensive, you either have to like wait to find a headphone that's already balanced [took me a while like for evers]
or recable everything you own, which ran me like $100 a headphone 

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #13 of 24
  xD u got the TH 900 so there's that

I in stead went with a LA D5kfor like $450 [already balanced that most likely sound almost as good [if not as good] as your TH 900 ;3 

but  yea upgrading to balanced gear is expensive, you either have to like wait to find a headphone that's already balanced [took me a while like for evers]
or recable everything you own, which ran me like $100 a headphone 

I'm sitting on a LA7k right now that's on the classified, lol.

I'm still in school so my income fluctuates a lot, but in a year when I'm in industry and have a more steady income going balanced is something I'll be able to realistically consider =D

I was planning on just buying separate cables for everything I have that has detachable cables and just paying for a hardwire job for the rest.

Like I said though, down the line like a year or 3 or 5.

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 24
  I'm sitting on a LA7k right now that's on the classified, lol.

I'm still in school so my income fluctuates a lot, but in a year when I'm in industry and have a more steady income going balanced is something I'll be able to realistically consider =D

I was planning on just buying separate cables for everything I have that has detachable cables and just paying for a hardwire job for the rest.

Like I said though, down the line like a year or 3 or 5.

oh, what is the differance between the LA D7k and your TH 900 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back