Fostex TH616 - A 50th Anniversary Wood Masterpiece
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 40
Nov 22, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 40
Fostex Fam, confession time: I'm not a patient man. Before the pros at Audio46 anounced reasonably priced, domestic preorders, I had already broken down and made friends with a Japanese seller to get in on the first batch :)

#12 was delivered to its very happy owner this afternoon. Matches my TRx Ebony serial exactly, was clearly meant to be.
What a beauty! Ever since my Denon AH-D2000, I've had my eye on Fostex from time to time. The TH616 has probably now made me want to buy one.

I listen to 80% singer-songwriter, acoustic and live music. Can you recommend the TH616 for this?

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 40
What a beauty! Ever since my Denon AH-D2000, I've had my eye on Fostex from time to time. The TH616 has probably now made me want to buy one.

I listen to 80% singer-songwriter, acoustic and live music. Can you recommend the TH616 for this?

Yes, absolutely! The warm, organic tuning combined with the biodyna's excellent imaging set free with open back, is a great combination here. For singer / acoustic, getting a sense of separation between the performers and feeling the space resonate a bit in the lower mids is really key for me to engage... conversely the sparser arrangements generally ensure the lush lower mid bass boost has enough room to breath.

It's not a genre I listen to much, but to my untrained ear it is an absolute treat on the 616.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #22 of 40
Yes, absolutely! The warm, organic tuning combined with the biodyna's excellent imaging set free with open back, is a great combination here. For singer / acoustic, getting a sense of separation between the performers and feeling the space resonate a bit in the lower mids is really key for me to engage... conversely the sparser arrangements generally ensure the lush lower mid bass boost has enough room to breath.

It's not a genre I listen to much, but to my untrained ear it is an absolute treat on the 616.

Your description makes me want the Fostex even more! My Beyerdynamic T90 has crystal clear resolution and offers all the details. But it can also be tiring, especially in the treble range.

The dealers here in Germany are offering the TH616 in the first weeks of December. I will keep an eye on it.

I listen to a lot of music by Dermot Kennedy, for example, if you know him. Smth like that:

Probably not your kind of music at all 😂

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 40
For anyone eyeing this one out still, Bloom Audio has the 616 up for pre order:

https://bloomaudio.com/collections/fostex/products/fostex-th616-limited-edition

Great to hear they are now a Fostex distributor! Also, one of their promotional pics looks VERY familiar lol...

1701564890032.png

20231114_141248_HDR.jpg

Quite flattered really, my #12 is a model :)

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 40
Wow I love the look of the natural Walnut wood
Lol I mean you just got your headphone so you should baby it first......

Though I'm curious how it would sound with TH616 wood cup and TH909 driver...... For science!
I second this! have a th909 unit and prefer the th616 natural walnut cups instead.....anybody tried experimenting switching the cups on the units?
The only thing nicer would be the blue edition but the cost is too much for just cosmetics...

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #27 of 40
Some reviews and a frequency response plot added to the sticky impressions post (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fos...versary-wood-masterpiece.969925/post-17753834). Seems like Audio46 are circulating some review units stateside finally :)

Some selected frequency response comparisons care of @kr0mka nice measurements:

1702577348923.png

1702577111976.png

1702577285953.png

Biodyna has exceptional performance up high, and the 616 showcases some of the lovely upper bass capabilities while pushing out the typical mid scoop out slightly for lush vocals.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #30 of 40
Here's a screenshot of DMS' FR for the TH616 and it looks quite different from the above FR.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 6.57.04 AM.png

While watching his review, I thought to to myself, "Damn Doug, who pissed in your Cheerios?!" He seemed unusually grumpy and negative. But to be fair, the FR of his TH616 doesn't look very good, especially in the bass, where it starts to roll off at 100Hz. Maybe he had a defective pair, although if that's true, that doesn't speak very well of Fostex's QC.

But being a huge fan of Fostex Biodyna headphones (after doing some mods to them), I'm still really interested in these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back