Fostex TH-X00 vs Focal Elear for Good bass w/ acceptable mids & highs
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a full sized headphone for home use that has good bass slam and non-funky mids/highs, in other words a headphone with good bass, especially sub-bass, that has a neutral response over the rest of the spectrum.

I think I have narrowed it down to these two. I was also considering the Audeze LCD-2 but it seems like the most recent fazor models don't have the bass of the originals. I don't really care if it's open or closed. Budget $1k.

I mostly listen to rock and heavy metal with some EDM (nine inch nails type of stuff).

The Elear would seem like a no brainer, but I hear a lot of people saying its frequency response dip in the 5khz region makes rock guitars and percussion sound bad. I was wondering if the fostex th-x00 might be better in this regard, especially considering the th-x00 probably has a stronger sub bass response. I prefer strong bass centered in the 60-80hz range, not something centered on 100+hz because then it will bleed into the mid range too much. Budget up to $1000.

I have plenty of amplification so that won't be an issue (jotunheim, LH Go2pro infinity, older headroom micro stack).

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Looking for a full sized headphone for home use that has good bass slam and non-funky mids/highs, in other words a headphone with good bass, especially sub-bass, that has a neutral response over the rest of the spectrum.

I think I have narrowed it down to these two. I was also considering the Audeze LCD-2 but it seems like the most recent fazor models don't have the bass of the originals. I don't really care if it's open or closed. Budget $1k.

I mostly listen to rock and heavy metal with some EDM (nine inch nails type of stuff).

The Elear would seem like a no brainer, but I hear a lot of people saying its frequency response dip in the 5khz region makes rock guitars and percussion sound bad. I was wondering if the fostex th-x00 might be better in this regard, especially considering the th-x00 probably has a stronger sub bass response. I prefer strong bass centered in the 60-80hz range, not something centered on 100+hz because then it will bleed into the mid range too much. Budget up to $1000.

I have plenty of amplification so that won't be an issue (jotunheim, LH Go2pro infinity, older headroom micro stack).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones
This purpleheart model has more bass than the brown wood model.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 7
I own the LCD2F and it has plenty of bass. I've not heard the other two that you've mentioned, but I'm perfectly happy with the low end on the Audeze.

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 7
ZMF Atticus.Dont walk,run.
Tell Zach Monsterzero sent you.
You can thank me later.

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 7
There is of course, the LCD2C. But really, a newer model LCDF will be fine for bass. The overall balance and performance of the LCD2 would work amazing for your music styles. I like the biodynamic drivers of the Denon and Fostex, but rate the planar better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back