Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany
Nov 26, 2020 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dasadab

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

Semi-newbi here.

I have a bit of the Black Friday frenzy. I have the above headphones being driven by my iPhone and a mojo.

I would really appreciate somenext step up
recommendation for headphones with a 1.2k limit. I listen to a mixture of classical, rock ‘n’ roll, and jazz.

Wild card: If I go from headphones to a iem, would the Sony IER- M9 be a solid step up. They are on sale for 1K.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 9
Did you still want closed headphone or are you looking for something else such as to open cans?

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Denon AH-D9200 -- the Fostex series 'refined big brother'. $1600. In budget used, though.

Nov 27, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 9
If you really like classical and jazz, I highly recommend HD800S. They are magical for those genres. They will be just ok for rock 'n roll though.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi Folks,

Semi-newbi here.

I have a bit of the Black Friday frenzy. I have the above headphones being driven by my iPhone and a mojo.

I would really appreciate somenext step up
recommendation for headphones with a 1.2k limit. I listen to a mixture of classical, rock ‘n’ roll, and jazz.

Wild card: If I go from headphones to a iem, would the Sony IER- M9 be a solid step up. They are on sale for 1K.
Great headphones. Have you tried them with the Dekoni sheepskin earpads? They make a world of difference. They're like a different headphone, IMHO. I loved the stock TH-X00, but got tired of continuously trying to tuck my ears into that small opening on the stock pads. The Dekoni pads are fantastic (still asymmetric, too) - big, lush, and seem to always feel cool, temperature-wise. You might try that, first ... just a suggestion.

EDIT: These: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin replacement earpads for the Fostex x Drop X00 Series (dekoniaudio.com)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Great headphones. Have you tried them with the Dekoni sheepskin earpads? They make a world of difference. They're like a different headphone, IMHO. I loved the stock TH-X00, but got tired of continuously trying to tuck my ears into that small opening on the stock pads. The Dekoni pads are fantastic (still asymmetric, too) - big, lush, and seem to always feel cool, temperature-wise. You might try that, first ... just a suggestion.

EDIT: These: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin replacement earpads for the Fostex x Drop X00 Series (dekoniaudio.com)

Took your advice and ordered the Sheepskin along with the optional plastic “sound focused.” Thanks for responding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back