Fostex TH-X00 amp/dac choice? Could use some advice, please.
Jul 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Datacide

New Head-Fier
Hi there.  I'm a long-time reader, (close to) first time poster.  I mainly do desktop listening, out of the back of a PC playing FLAC as my source.

I'm having trouble deciding what to buy for a DAC/AMP.

I've got a set of Beyerdynamic DT-990-pro 250 ohm headphones, a Bottlehead Crack with speedball amp, and I am about ready to pick up some Sennheiser HD650's.  

I also just purchased a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC, mainly to go with the Bottlehead Crack amp & the high impedance headsets.

But!  During the middle of all this, I ran across the Fostex Massdrop TH-X00 ebony headphones, and ended up buying in.  Since they are low impedance, I couldn't use the Crack with them.  So I started looking into another amp.  After some looking, I've narrowed it down to the Schiit Asgard 2 or Vali 2, or returning the Modi 2 and just buying the Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp.

I generally prefer the tube sound, but realize it may not work well with the Fostex.  Therefore, I was looking for a "tube light" or solid state amp.  Any suggestions?  Is there another amp that'd pair well with the Fostex TH-X00 and Schiit Modi under $250?  Or should I return the Modi and buy the Massdrop m9xx DAC/Amp?

Please let me know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back