Fostex TH 900 – Modifications – Worth it?
May 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Dragoon47

Head-Fier
I am thinking of buying the Fostex TH 900. Does anyone own a pair of Fostex TH 900 that has been modified by Lawton Audio? I would welcome any impressions on improvement vs value for money. Are there any other recommendations for modification? Thank you

May 29, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 26
You don't yet own a TH900 and you're asking about modified versions? I own a TH900 and would never let it be subjected to modification by anyone, least of all Lawton Audio. It's a great-sounding headphone as-is, no need for it to be modified, especially by unauthorized agents. Modifying a TH900 would render void the Fostex/dealer warranty - and on such an expensive headphone, that's probably not something you want to do.

I bought my TH900 through an authorized USA dealer, specifically for the warranty. I could've bought a Japanese export model for less but I decided that wasn't worth the savings.

May 29, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:
You don't yet own a TH900 and you're asking about modified versions? I own a TH900 and would never let it be subjected to modification by anyone, least of all Lawton Audio. It's a great-sounding headphone as-is, no need for it to be modified, especially by unauthorized agents. Modifying a TH900 would render void the Fostex/dealer warranty - and on such an expensive headphone, that's probably not something you want to do.

I agree completely. I really wanted to make mine balanced but don't wanna ruin the warranty:frowning2:

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 26
I just rewired it Balanced and I am happy with this :)

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 26
From what I've heard, modifications to the TH900 aren't really worth it. I wouldn't dare modify mine anyways lol.

Love the sound as is.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 26
I own one. Don't think I read anywhere that modifications worths it, maybe the pads are worth the try, but the lawton wooden cups just look ugly...imo

For cables, correct me if I'm wrong, but the cable is 7N high grade copper compared to other "not that great" cable from other flagships. Unless you really need balanced or you have found the absolute best system (which I am still trying to figure out) and desire a little bit of brightness/airy-ness from silver cables (I prefer going warmer when possible) to make it perfect, its not really worth it

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 26
I have D5000, and if it wouldn't for the markl mod, I would have sold my D5000 long time ago. The stock bass, even after extensive burn-in, was unbearable. My advise, don't mod it right away, listen to it for some time and then decide what to do next.

How did your mod change the sound?

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page53.html
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page68.html

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #11 of 26
  I would say the level 1 package from Lawton Audio is worth it sonically speaking. The level 2 and 3 packages I would say are more for ergonomics and looks. I put angle pads on my th-600 and I enjoy them more than stock. I also liked my d7k much better after full level 1, tune and pads.

Ditto.  I started with a bone stock D7000, listened to it for a week or so and sent it to Mark for the damping and angle pads.  Came back a completely different and much improved headphone.  Very close to my TH900, which I too am considering sending to Mark for the damping and only the damping.  I already have a Q French Silk cable done by Greed, who sold this to me a couple of months ago.  Love both as well as my D2000 with extra deep Martin Custom Cocobolo Rosewood cups, Lawton damping and Alpha Pads.  Yeah, I'm a Fostex chassis fan. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 26
  I would say the level 1 package from Lawton Audio is worth it sonically speaking. The level 2 and 3 packages I would say are more for ergonomics and looks. I put angle pads on my th-600 and I enjoy them more than stock. I also liked my d7k much better after full level 1, tune and pads.

So I did it...........send the TH900 to Mark for his damping mods.  Well worth it.   The bass, which was already amazing, is as tight as it gets with zero muddiness.  Mids and highs are more forward as well but not in a bad way. 

May need to try your pad mod - the Stax 002 pads.  You put them on your TH600, right?  Still enjoying them?  Currently have the stock pads and love them but wouldn't mind trying the Stax pads.

Apr 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 26
Glad I found this forum on the Lawton Audio Mods. I went with the full gambit with the exception of the angled pads. I love the look of the stock cups but putting all the effort into having those cups layered in lacquered for a classy finish then stamping Fostex in the middle, just seems point less. No other headphone company up to this point from what I've seen has finished their cups like that. So there is no need to stamp the company name on the cup. That's why I personally chose to get new cups, even though the headphone sounds amazing with the stock cups. 

As far as warranty, just ask Fostex will any modification affect the warranty. 

Ask Lawton Audio what kind of guarantee they offer if something does happen to the headphones. 

I will have my headphones back in about 2 months so I will let you know how they sound. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #14 of 26
  Glad I found this forum on the Lawton Audio Mods. I went with the full gambit with the exception of the angled pads. I love the look of the stock cups but putting all the effort into having those cups layered in lacquered for a classy finish then stamping Fostex in the middle, just seems point less. No other headphone company up to this point from what I've seen has finished their cups like that. So there is no need to stamp the company name on the cup. That's why I personally chose to get new cups, even though the headphone sounds amazing with the stock cups. 

As far as warranty, just ask Fostex will any modification affect the warranty. 

Ask Lawton Audio what kind of guarantee they offer if something does happen to the headphones. 

I will have my headphones back in about 2 months so I will let you know how they sound. 

What wood are the cups being made out of?  Martin Custom Audio did the following for my D2000 out of Cocobolo Rosewood.  Those stock Fostex cups ought to sell for a pretty penny if you want to offset the custom set. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 26
I picked up Bubinga and your headphones look gorgeous. I want an analytical sound (and a wood that would not increase the headphone weight) because I listened to nothing but trance and dance music. He offered me about eight woods to suit my listening taste. I'm keeping the stock earpads because I will listen to my headphones for house and sweat is always and issue with leather. I wish someone would offer some type of leather free earpad for this headphone. I would have never thought about getting rid of the Fostex cups but once everything is done I will look into it. 

Thanks for the pics, my system is not that advanced so at least I know when I'm getting advice from a Supremus, your called a Supremus for a reason. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back