Fostex TH -600 or Sony MDR Z7 - which one to go for
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Flex2d

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Need some opinion here!

Sold my DT1770pro's as they just weren't doing it for me.

So looking at  Fostex TH -600 or Sony MDR Z7.

Which would be the best choice?

Thanks

Daniel

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 14
Ok let me sum this up for you:

Why did you sell your Bayers what where you missing? What are you hoping to get out your new headphones?

What is your source, what file quality are you listening to? What type of music?

There is no such thing as "the best" so we need to know what you looking for...

On a side note, I own the Fostex massdrops and I adore them, so to make things easy, get them or the 600's

Enjoy...

Mar 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 14
I owned and sold both. The only reason I sold the TH-600 was the purchase of the TH-900. I wish I still had them. The MDR-Z7 was a different story all together. Never could get past the lose bloated bass, Silver Dragon cable, cup dampening, the bass was still not acceptable.

Both were very comfortable, the MDR-Z7 was beautiful and well built. I wanted to love the MDR-Z7 but it wasn't to be.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 14
Ok let me sum this up for you:

Why did you sell your Bayers what where you missing? What are you hoping to get out your new headphones?

What is your source, what file quality are you listening to? What type of music?

There is no such thing as "the best" so we need to know what you looking for...

On a side note, I own the Fostex massdrops and I adore them, so to make things easy, get them or the 600's

Enjoy...

Don't get me wrong with the beyerdynamics they are great well balance sounding headphones.. just weren't exciting.. its like you are just looking for something more like trying to find something they just can't give. i tried eq to see if i could find the missing frequency and so to no joy.

So i am upping my anti and increasing my budget to see if i can find a pair which offers great vocal, feel wood instruments string vibration and clean punchy bass that is present but not muddy. The dt 1770 pro would not give m the feeling of the stringed instruments as if your in the room. So i am after detail, spaciousness, great balance across the range, but i want to feel the bass vibrate /resonate though my head. the clarity of vocals and the depth and presence of a string vibration. So if a headphone can present this i'm done :)

I owned and sold both. The only reason I sold the TH-600 was the purchase of the TH-900. I wish I still had them. The MDR-Z7 was a different story all together. Never could get past the lose bloated bass, Silver Dragon cable, cup dampening, the bass was still not acceptable.

Both were very comfortable, the MDR-Z7 was beautiful and well built. I wanted to love the MDR-Z7 but it wasn't to be.

KK so i guess the Z7 is off my list. There is a guy who is saying they have a pair of th900 and that they are selling them  half price. but doing something weird. i.e removed them from amazon then saying he will get them to raise a purchase for them .. sounds alittle odd.. anyhow need to investigate as £440 for th900 would be nice.
Im guess the th900 outshines the th610 iin every way

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 14
z7 do sound pretty nice with stringed instruments imo (if a little off in midrange), the bass is actually a strength here I find- not bloated so much as it's just very soft/diffuse that matches pretty well with how stringed instruments sound....

However this type of bass is pretty much the opposite of punchy. Also they aren't really closed headphones, as they have two fairly large vents on the top and bottom of the cups

I like them, but got them used,wouldn't really recommend paying new price for them. Seems like a lot of the people here who have stuck with them also end up doing a few mods.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 14
Hmm they are pricy to have to mod them.. thats kind of where i was at the dt1770 pro.. either sell an upgrade or start pulling them apart..

Maybe i should try the Z7 and return if not happy..

Kind of thinking the th610 might be where im going though

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 14

z7 do sound pretty nice with stringed instruments imo (if a little off in midrange), the bass is actually a strength here I find- not bloated so much as it's just very soft/diffuse that matches pretty well with how stringed instruments sound....

However this type of bass is pretty much the opposite of punchy. Also they aren't really closed headphones, as they have two fairly large vents on the top and bottom of the cups

I like them, but got them used,wouldn't really recommend paying new price for them. Seems like a lot of the people here who have stuck with them also end up doing a few mods.

Good point pertaining to stringed instruments. I was not trying to trash the MDR-Z7 in general, just pointing out how in my opinion, the TH-600 is more versatile.

Sadly, sometimes I take the beauty of acoustic instruments for granted when forming an opinion. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 14
ok running in for 1 hr or so, they sound very different to the DT 1770 pro's more mellow and less fatiguing. The female voice is not so forward for sure. the bass i would say is slightly less than the DT1770 pro's. it more of a listening experience. the sound stage is also closer, but the detail is still there. I would definitely say the 610's mids are more pronounced, but retain the detail.

So i hoping the bass will come to life more with time.. Do you guys think this is something i could expect?

The only other thing i have noticed is the DT 1770 pro didn't like to be messed with via a EQ. the bass lost its tightness instantly but the th610 enjoy being tweaked!

Very happy so far.

Just slightly more bass would make them perfect along with female voices slightly more forward. Maybe this will mature with time.

Thanks

Daniel

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #11 of 14
I Guess my question being for £500 should i have to EQ a pair of headphones to sound their best?

suggestions welcome?

IMO this is actually a good thing, especially if you don't have access to a place for demoing headphones- otherwise you will end up buying 20 different headphones trying to find a sound that suits you

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Ok returned them and continueing my persuit for a great sounding headphone.. Fostex 610's just weren't for me.

Sony's z7.. just aint getting much love i guess so not sure they are worth price tag..

Currently eyeing up the Amiron Home byu Beyerdynamic.. whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 14
I haven't heard the DT1770s, but I do have T5p gen2's. I just bought a pair of MDR Z7's on a whim. Going by what I had read I was sure I wouldn't like them, but running them from a Chord Mojo they don't sound bad at all. The bass is more emphasised than on the T5ps, but I wouldn't call it bloated, like it often is on cheaper headphones. Recordings which do have a good amount of bass still sound good. It was much worse on the Denon D7100s. The highs have a good amount of detail - Not as much micro detail as the Beyers, but they're smoother. Overall I like the Z7s, and I wouldn't be surprised if I listen to them more than my Beyers.

The Amirons are open, so they're a different kettle of fish.

-Mark.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 14
  Ok returned them and continueing my persuit for a great sounding headphone.. Fostex 610's just weren't for me.

Sony's z7.. just aint getting much love i guess so not sure they are worth price tag..

Currently eyeing up the Amiron Home byu Beyerdynamic.. whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Let me say first, the old saying, we all hear different ! I have Fostex X00 and Sony Z7, I much prefer the Z7's. I also have the Senn hd-650 and Audioquest Nighthawk.
I would rate them in this order, Nighthawk, Z7, HD-650 and X00. I bought my Z7's for $299 as a new open box. I feel I got a great deal. I see them being sold all the time in the $300 to $350 range. I also feel like they get a bad rap around here. Just for being transparent, I do run the Z7's in balanced mode with a quality cable. The bass is in no way bloated to my ears. There again we all hear different and like different sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back