Fostex T50RP Still Relevant For A Mod As A Business ???
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ricksome

500+ Head-Fier
I know that Zach (ZMF) and Dan Clark both started out modding Fostex headphones. They both moved upscale and produce gorgeous headphones. I know that Mod House does modify Fostex. A search on eBay shows DIY mod kits you can buy. Having said all the above, do you think that in 2024 someone can get in that business and be successful or has that time come and gone?

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 11
I know that Zach (ZMF) and Dan Clark both started out modding Fostex headphones. They both moved upscale and produce gorgeous headphones. I know that Mod House does modify Fostex. A search on eBay shows DIY mod kits you can buy. Having said all the above, do you think that in 2024 someone can get in that business and be successful or has that time come and gone?
Tx0RP’s niche has gotten even smaller but that’s the case for all products as competition grows. Tx0RP-modded is still my favorite non-portable closed-back but its not wholly superior to other cheap closed-backs I own that are portable.

Tx0RP modded possible niche: only “good”* full-sized closed-back non-portable planar under four figures. “Good” is apparently difficult to achieve without DSP (Maxwell). *subjective

“Good” = none
“Bad” = the rest afaik, eg Audeze LCD-X, HFM Audivina, and so on

Zach at ZMF said tuning Caldera closed-back version is so difficult that he for the first time had someone help him tune a headphone (hired engineer, still in development).:

16:00, aliexpress okay but recommend CAD to build unique identity
19:00, engaging community is best feedback and is advertising
24:00, dont ignore bad reviews - try and help them
26:00, re-invest, scissors to cri-cut, etc., bought a commerical building for $120k
27:00, video of their workshop, spent 120k and 220k on machines
29:00, zach collects wood and mentioned paying $20k for some fancy maple
29:30, history of measurement rigs, $150k in measurement gear over time
32:00, cheap diy measurement rig is great for at home modding but not great for industry standard reference sharing
34:00, slight dig at amir (asr)
34:30, you cant make headphones directed at just one audience because limits customers (eg sbaf vs asr)
36:50, only way to combat negative pr is to help customers and refine product
39:30, biggest single obstacle? (early days of company requires a lot of hard work and hustling but you rely on your passion to get through, and opportunity, talent, luck!)(~2017-2021)
44:00, 5-10year outlook for zmf? Be more malleable to adjust to market demands, fill out portfolio for more customers, grow towards serving audiophiles and pros, and would like to have custom options for customers as well in-stock standard items
45:30, zach likes lighter colored woods
47:00, photos of workspaces over time (workshop takes over home)
51:00, how to staff
52:00, read business books, eg “Traction”
52:30, accounting
56:30, caldera-closed so hard to tune, first time zach worked with an engineer to help tune which was informing
57:20, tuning and measurements and correlating your subjectives (and we’re all different)
1:00:00, how to get consistent quality in build

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 11
Thank you for the reply and the ZMF link. I did watch the whole video. It was very informative

do you think you have the ears for it? and the fortitude? you could try it as a hobby and see what happens. I would not expect to be able to make a living the first few years of course. if you have the time and dedication to stick with it a few years who knows what could happen. you could make a small or big name for yourself.

Apr 6, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 11
I was thinking about this as a business. After watching the video with Zach and Bevin, I changed my mind. I wish them all the best. Anyone thinking about entering the headphones industry, should watch this video before taking the plunge.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 11
@ricksome
Do you have experience with T50RP mods? Do you have a recipe already settled?
Yes, I modded a T50RP and it was unbalanced in more than one way. The left ear cup must have had a lot more mod then the right ear cup. When I put the T50RP on my head, it sagged on the left side. No, that was not the recipe. I should stay in my lane and not enter the headphone business.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Back in the day, the T50rp and fam were extremely good for the price. It was hard to match their performance at $150. But now a days, the market has moved forward, the t50rps have stayed the same.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #9 of 11
Damping is about mass. I now personally weigh what get's in the cups. I have 2 pairs of T50RP 50th with different final mod, final mods are usually minor external add-on tweaks depending on user preference.
I’m currently doing another mod on a not-Fostex phone (2nd pair) and because I weigh, it’s easy for me to replicate the amount of dampening material I need. As to final form. it shares the process and personal tweakability as the RP.

IMG_0387.jpeg

So to answer your question.. If you have a repeatable system then maybe but will it be worth it? only you would know.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 11
Damping is about mass.
IMG_0387.jpeg

So to answer your question.. If you have a repeatable system then maybe but will it be worth it? only you would know.

not sure if you know but yeah damping is about mass. but often you only need about 25%ish coverage to get rid of 95%+ of vibration. many people go overboard, especially with cars and trucks. not only does using less save weight, for an application like an automobile it is a huge saving in costs. with headphones because so much material for such a small space peeps often go overboard. I only added some tack to my baffles on my T60 with about 30-40% coverage and it made a noticeable difference without adding excess weight. I assume you take this approach too but for anybody else that doesn't know, sometimes less is better or comparable.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 11
not sure if you know but yeah damping is about mass. but often you only need about 25%ish coverage to get rid of 95%+ of vibration. many people go overboard, especially with cars and trucks. not only does using less save weight, for an application like an automobile it is a huge saving in costs. with headphones because so much material for such a small space peeps often go overboard. I only added some tack to my baffles on my T60 with about 30-40% coverage and it made a noticeable difference without adding excess weight. I assume you take this approach too but for anybody else that doesn't know, sometimes less is better or comparable.
:xf_wink:
IMG_0388.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back