Fostex Mk3 with Pono
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

du2711

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried the Fostex T50RP Mk3's with a Pono? I also wonder if they are modifiable to play in 'balanced mode'? Either way, in searching for a new pair of headphones for my Pono I confess to never having heard of these Fostex headphones before, but in theory they sound like they would be a potentially good choice.... but wonder if they would be ok without an extra amp? Any advice appreciated

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 10
The Fostex Tx0RP mkIII family need to be amplified, they're hungry for power, and they can take it. I modded mine to use a balanced cable.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763009/fostex-new-rp-headphones-t50rpmk3-t40rpmk3-and-t20rpmk3/315#post_12037474

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks... Ah so I would need a portable amp. Hmm would you recommend these as portable headphones all the same? They seem much cheaper than alternatives (PM3 for e.g.)!

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks... Ah so I would need a portable amp. Hmm would you recommend these as portable headphones all the same? They seem much cheaper than alternatives (PM3 for e.g.)!

No, they leak sound, unless you go for the T40 sealed model, and would almost cost the same as the oppo pm3's if you add the price of an amp which the pm3's don't need.

Dec 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 10
The Fostex T50RP MkIII do pair up quite nicely with the pono player, even single ended.  However,  I have to dial up the volume to about 80 - 85%.  However, using an additional external amp does tighten things up a bit.  So, I think going balanced with pono would probably be ideal and then I predict no additional amp needed.

As JK-47 says, these things do leak sound.  You can carry on a normal conversation while wearing them, for example.  Not the thing for your daily commute on the train.

Lovely, clear headphones at this price point.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 10
You won't be getting all you can get out of them unless they are amped. I would recommend trying them with an amp, and without at the store you plan on purchasing them from, or order from Amazon so you can return the amp if you feel that you don't need it. I've tried them SE from my Astell & Kern Jr. (wouldn't even bother again), balanced out of my Geek Out V2 (listenable, but not enjoyable compared to the other options), , SE from my Cayin C5 (acceptable on high gain), balanced from Mjolnir 2 (by far, a night and day difference when it comes to delivereing fast detailed music, with minimal distortion).

It's like driving a car on a dirt road, when a truck is far better suited for the task. You can do it in a car, but the truck is far more capable and enjoyable.

Try them out with the Pono, then with a portable amp, and then with a full powered desktop amp. Best to try them during the same listening session, so the difference is fresh in your mind. Maybe the Pono may get you 80% there, portable amp 90%, but to get 100% you need the full size desktop unit to do them justice.

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Also, if you're not handy with DIY, adding the balanced jack and making the cable will be an additional cost.

May 13, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Took the plunge and paid Custom Cans here in the Uk to mod some Fostex Mk3's to work in balanced mode with my Pono. Loud enough to play comfortably without further amplification and a lovely clear and detailed sound and at £220 significantly good value for money I feel - certainly a fair bit cheaper than Oppo and in my experience fine leakage wise in cafes etc..... recommended!

May 14, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 10
  Took the plunge and paid Custom Cans here in the Uk to mod some Fostex Mk3's to work in balanced mode with my Pono. Loud enough to play comfortably without further amplification and a lovely clear and detailed sound and at £220 significantly good value for money I feel - certainly a fair bit cheaper than Oppo and in my experience fine leakage wise in cafes etc..... recommended!

So glad you're enjoying them!  They have a lot to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back