Fostex HP-P1 VS Gen5.5 imod + RSA SR-71B balanced output - Now with Fostex HP-P1 Review Page 2
Mar 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #46 of 55
UPDATE!

I recently had a bit of an issue with battery recharging. What happened was I already had the unit turned on and playing music. Then halfway in the day while the unit was still on I plugged it into power. About 2-3 hours later it died! It was a little discerning but in the end if was the battery. After a long charge while turned off it's back to normal. I think you have to have it turned off, plug it into power, then turn it on and play music to have it charge while playing music. Otherwise it dies. I haven't been able to confirm this though (been a busy week). This prompted me to find out about a firmware update and if one was available, couldn't hurt to ask I thought.

I contacted the Australian supplier for Fostex and they have the latest firmware and special tool (?) to update the firmware. I have no idea what firmware number this is but apparently it was released very recently (as recent as yesterday?). I'll let you know how I go with the firmware update and what number that is.

I am running 1.1.0 and 1.1.2 presently and the supplier knows this, so it must be a version later than this.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #47 of 55
I wonder why you can't do it yourself. It's kind of very annoying if there are no authorized Fostex supplier to do it for you.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 55

Quote:
I wonder why you can't do it yourself. It's kind of very annoying if there are no authorized Fostex supplier to do it for you.

Tell me about it. Not many Fostex dealers around Ice Station Zebra :frowning2:

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #50 of 55

From Fostex HP-P1 thread:

Quote:

Check out the case that I found for it, fits like a glove, very happy with the case: http://www.head-fi.org/t/597926/cases-for-a-fostex-hp-p1-based-portable-rig

UPDATE ON HP-P1: Burnt in???

I have no idea how many hours I've put through it, safe to say about 4-8 hours everyday since I got it, but in the last week I've noticed a change in my HP-P1. It's significant enough to write about it here because I'm actually quite surprised that 1) there is a change and 2) the change is quite significant.

There is much more bass. I mean at least 20% more in terms magnitude. Everything else has not changed as far as I've heard, highs are still airy and sweet, mids are still full and instrument separation is fantastic. But he bass has increased in volume and amount. It's still tight, fast and not at all booming or muddy, there's just more slam and impact. 

My theories are that it could be a combination of things:

Firstly perhaps it has now burnt in. I've not really believed in burn in and always thought that even if it did make a difference it was probably minimal (<5% difference) and it would happen gradually over a long period of time. But 20% is huge! and it's happened in the past 2 weeks or less, which is to me, quite sudden.

Secondly my ears may be burned in lol! by that I mean I am used to the sound?

Thirdly fit is finally right? especially with the Comply P series foams that I'm now using. There was a marked step up in bass quantity with the P series foams over the regular Shure olives. Worthy upgrade.

Also I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's and the bass on those are fantastic. They are 80ohms so I have to turn the volume up considerably higher than the Shure's so maybe that accelerated the burn in quicker? no idea?

How I noticed was this: I played my usual rotation of reference albums and noticed that the DT1350 has considerably more bass. Then I went back to my shures to play the same tracks and was completely surprised that the same bass is still present! These are the same tracks I've listened to a 1000 times and the bass is not like I've ever heard it before.

Anyway all said and done I really like the sound now. Before I thought that, although good, the bass was lacking slightly. Now I think it's perfect and very close if not the same as the RSA sound that I really like. If it's all in my head then so be it! Who cares, I am happy!

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #51 of 55
I noticed this improvement as well. When I got my HP-P1, everything sounded clear but a bit harsh if paired with a DT-880 Pro (250Ohm) and no bass at all. I went WTH? So I let it burn in for around 40 hours and the improvements were very noticeable. Highs were much more smoother, mids less grainy and even clearer, more punchier, more defined bass. As you said, there's also more impact and more slam.
I love my HP-P1, I just wish I could update the firmware myself. I can't justify sending my HP-P1 just for a firmware update. Oh and I also wish that the volume knob was more rugged, it does feel a bit fragile. But the overall build quality is top notch.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #55 of 55
Unfortunately L3 does hiss with ES5's, however I hear that ALO RX MK3 B also hisses. I don't think it's a fault of the amps but the overly low resistance of the ES5's. I use an inline static 30ohm resistor and it works well with the setup. To be honest, when music is playing it's not such a big issue. Quiet time at night listening to jazz or classical and you could do without the hiss... That's when the 30ohm resistor comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back