Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jul 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #646 of 1,448
Quote:

Certainly possible. If so, its a bad design and could be addressed (by encrypting that bit of code or by other methods).

Who knows, it could be encrypted in the firmware so it can be frequently updated (in the case of newer iDevice compatibility etc)

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #647 of 1,448
More like Japanese philosophy. Come here to see all the forty models Toyota puts out every year, that have nothing different than each other in many cases. Apple upgrade devices once per year, sometimes less often. They are actually on a slower cycle than many companies are. In Japan, companies often design by what is called splat on the wall. Whatever sticks is what they will redesign and market and resell. You are talking about Fostex here, one of the largest OEM headphone makers in the world who make everything from high end to absolute crap and sell it to whoever will buy it. 

Very very different from Apple.
Quote:
It was bound to happen sooner or later... Apple philosophy

But, it is good to see them supporting the HP series.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #650 of 1,448
Is everybody only using the stock usb cable for charging the HP-P1, via connection with the computer usb slot?

Anyone using the socket charger  (like the Apple i-Phone or iPad charger)?  Are we sure this charging method safe and will not damage the battery in HP-P1?  I have read from some forum that the electrical power is not the same, like the iPad charger is more powerful.  I am concerned that the charging time may be shorter, but this may damage or shorten the life of the battery.

Thanks

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #651 of 1,448
For what it is worth, I'm using the USB charger from an old BlackBerry without issue. I assumed that the power out of the mini-USB port would be the same no matter if the other end connects to a computer or wall wart as this is covered by the USB specification. Proceed at your own risk though.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #652 of 1,448
I occasionally plug mine in the wall too, but i assume the trickle charge for computer port is a better way for the battery.  I only have two usb ports, one for the dac out and the other feeds a weather station.  I would still be short one if i didn't have firewire for my external hard drive.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #653 of 1,448
I've has mine plugged into a normal iphone charger each night since I've received it, no detectable issues?

At work I plug it into computer USB for power

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #654 of 1,448
Received my Garmin case today. Stretching it out before i slice and model it - spaces for the filters and charger.

Lillee can you post pictures of your cases back, thanks.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #655 of 1,448
I simply only have one square hole cut for the USB power charging port cut out. On top I have a hole cut to view the charge light. I use a Swan Morten surgical scalpel to do all my work but anything sharp will do. Slip the hp-p1 in and with your fingers press against the leather so you can feel the indentation of the ports. Grab a pen and mark the indentation area. Take out hp-p1 and cut! To aid cutting, you can slip a block of wood or something hard into the case so you can lean on the block to cut through to it onto the block.

I know the Fostex so well I can change filters through the case material without needing to see it or cut a hole :D

For some reason headfi won't let me upload photos from my iPad so will have to post pics later tonight for you

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #656 of 1,448
Quote:
I know the Fostex so well I can change filters through the case material without needing to see it or cut a hole
biggrin.gif

I used to change filter setting by feel too... until I accidentally hit the Gain switch instead of the Filter switch. 
redface.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #657 of 1,448
anybody else get a slight imbalance on some tracks?

Sometimes the vocals seem stronger on my right. not sure if its the recording or my unit. Or if the fostex is too revealing of faults in the recording.

I`m leaning toward the recordings as some tracks are dead center. need to test with another Fostex.

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #658 of 1,448

Looks like Fostex has their own case for the hp_p1.

Anyone know what the output impedance of the Fostex hp_p1 is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back