Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Feb 28, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #331 of 1,448

Quote:
Quick question. Has anyone been successful in using an ipod with Rockbox installed with the HP-P1?

I have an old ipod photo and I installed Rockbox so I could use my flac files, but when it in the Fostex the ipod thinks I'm plugging it into a computer and I can't send the digital signal out to the Fostex.

You could do a runaround to play your FLAC files, but you'd need either a iTouch or iPhone.  Use an app like FlacPlayer and you should be able to use your HP-P1.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #332 of 1,448

Quote:
I just want the best out of the most portable solution. I dunno about you but carrying a 3 or 4 box unit and giant headphones on non-air conditioned trains is just ridiculous and headphones far too hot for Australian conditions (84 degrees outside every day this week). Sweaty ears anyone?  

"Jumping through hoops" I am not sure I know what you are referring to? are you saying that there is an industry standard that everyone should abide by when it comes to portable music and anything else is "jumping through hoops?" Or are you saying that all music should not be portable and confined to the home and desktop?

I have a Luxman 2 channel amp hooked up to KEF floor standers and a turntable at home. I've used it... once this whole year. In contrast I listen to my portable setup nearly 8 hours a day.

Actually I am struggling to find the point you are making?

Your state has been raining and flooding, what are you talking about?

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #333 of 1,448

Quote:
I just want the best out of the most portable solution. I dunno about you but carrying a 3 or 4 box unit and giant headphones on non-air conditioned trains is just ridiculous and headphones far too hot for Australian conditions (84 degrees outside every day this week). Sweaty ears anyone?  

"Jumping through hoops" I am not sure I know what you are referring to? are you saying that there is an industry standard that everyone should abide by when it comes to portable music and anything else is "jumping through hoops?" Or are you saying that all music should not be portable and confined to the home and desktop?

I have a Luxman 2 channel amp hooked up to KEF floor standers and a turntable at home. I've used it... once this whole year. In contrast I listen to my portable setup nearly 8 hours a day.

Actually I am struggling to find the point you are making?

The point I was trying to make was that a lot of IEM users are making decisions based on what works best with their IEMs. This thread is not titled "The "most" portable solution" or the "best portable solution for IEM users". I was inaccurate about who would have to "jump through hoops"(a little bit) to use IEMs. That would be those of us, who for whatever reason, don't care to use IEMs for all our portable needs. The HP P1 is a high quality portable dac/amp,whether or not it is a solution for all portable situations was never implied by anyone.(I think I'd try to find an air conditioned train or another means of transportation) (So you'd really rather listen to your portable setup? This sounds more like convience might be more important to you)

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #334 of 1,448
?? I read your post three times and I still don't understand what you are saying. This is a thread about the Fostex HP-P1 yes? I posted my review of it. End of story. Why are we debating what is best for any given person and their random situation and preferences? I am confused. 

From the context, I thought you were implying that my review of the fostex somehow was unnecessary and "jumping through hoops". Apologies if this was not the case. All is good. Cheers beers!

(Some public transport trains in Sydney are unfortunately still lack ari conditioning, ask the state gov why that is in this day in age. Not using them is not an option, unless you want a 1:45min commute in traffic every morning, and afternoon)

(Even though it's flooding it was still 29 degrees C yesterday and 100% humidity. Smelly trains!!!)

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #335 of 1,448

For Fostex owners:

I recently had a bit of an issue with battery recharging. What happened was I already had the unit turned on and playing music. Then halfway in the day while the unit was still on I plugged it into power. About 2-3 hours later it died! It was a little discerning but in the end if was the battery. After a long charge while turned off it's back to normal. I think you have to have it turned off, plug it into power, then turn it on and play music to have it charge while playing music. Otherwise it dies. I haven't been able to confirm this though (been a busy week). This prompted me to find out about a firmware update and if one was available, couldn't hurt to ask I thought.

I contacted the Australian supplier for Fostex and they have the latest firmware and special tool (?) to update the firmware. I have no idea what firmware number this is but apparently it was released very recently (as recent as yesterday?). I'll let you know how I go with the firmware update and what number that is.

I am running 1.1.0 and 1.1.2 presently and the supplier knows this, so it must be a version later than this.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #336 of 1,448
knowwhatimean, your name could not be more ironic. I find your posts to be pretty much incomprehensible. I guess that you know what you mean but I wonder if anyone else does.  
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #337 of 1,448

Quote:
knowwhatimean, your name could not be more ironic. I find your posts to be pretty much incomprehensible. I guess that you know what you mean but I wonder if anyone else does.  
L3000.gif

I have to think it is my use of certain saying or phrases that I use . I keep forgetting that some of the sayings we grew up with are(or were) not internationally commonly used . Since we've decided to critique what we post here, I find myself shaking my head at much of the information or many times, misinformation passed on by posters having multiple thousands of posts, I find it pretty hilarious that they bestow titles on people for the amount of posting they've posted. A more direct approach would be to ask me what you don't understand about what I've written. In the meantime just ignore the sentences I've used a saying in.(I may go back to being more of a "lurker" here anyway as I can get more reliable info from manufacturers websites without a lot of silly guessing or opinions.)

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #338 of 1,448

Quote:

For Fostex owners:

I recently had a bit of an issue with battery recharging. What happened was I already had the unit turned on and playing music. Then halfway in the day while the unit was still on I plugged it into power. About 2-3 hours later it died! It was a little discerning but in the end if was the battery. After a long charge while turned off it's back to normal. I think you have to have it turned off, plug it into power, then turn it on and play music to have it charge while playing music. Otherwise it dies. I haven't been able to confirm this though (been a busy week). This prompted me to find out about a firmware update and if one was available, couldn't hurt to ask I thought.

I contacted the Australian supplier for Fostex and they have the latest firmware and special tool (?) to update the firmware. I have no idea what firmware number this is but apparently it was released very recently (as recent as yesterday?). I'll let you know how I go with the firmware update and what number that is.

I am running 1.1.0 and 1.1.2 presently and the supplier knows this, so it must be a version later than this.

It may not be your firmware that's at fault. Did the led on the top of the P1 that is normally red while it's playing change to orange when you plugged it into power? If it remained red it was not charging. When you say you plugged it into power do you mean wall current (using the iPod usb/wall plug attachment connected to the charging cable) or a usb port on something other than a PC. I had the HP P1 die on me once (you're right it was a bit disconcerting!, but ended up ok) when I was using it with my iPod Touch. By comparison my iPod Classic seems to be much easier on it & the charge indicator on the Classic stays at higher point for a much longer time. I think once the charge status indicator on whatever player you're using drops below maybe a 1/4 charge left on it the HP P1 can't keep up with the power it needs & it depletes the charge very quickly after that. So, once again keep an eye on the Led status & how much charge the player has on it. I had this happen just the one time & no more since I've kept an eye on things.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #339 of 1,448
Yeah it was plugged into an iPod wall socket USB charger. It could have been a bad connection or any number of things, was a bit busy to figure it all out at the time. I had the iPhone on top of the unit do i didn't pay much attention to the charge light or color. 

It hasn't happened since but it can't hurt to upgrade the firmware I am thinking, so I'll just go for it, try alittle testing to see if there's any difference. While I am there I will ask for info on what the update contains and what issues it addresses and report back anything I find out, that's if anyone is interested?

Cheers

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #340 of 1,448

Quote:
Yeah it was plugged into an iPod wall socket USB charger. It could have been a bad connection or any number of things, was a bit busy to figure it all out at the time. I had the iPhone on top of the unit do i didn't pay much attention to the charge light or color. 

It hasn't happened since but it can't hurt to upgrade the firmware I am thinking, so I'll just go for it, try alittle testing to see if there's any difference. While I am there I will ask for info on what the update contains and what issues it addresses and report back anything I find out, that's if anyone is interested?

Cheers

I don't know if you would be interested, but I use a portable rechargeable battery(that I'd gotten to use with my Stepdance2 amp) that has a usb port I can use for HP P1 that gives me the option of charging it where & when ever I choose . It's made by a company named XPAL & the model# is XP8000 . It is a little wider but not as long as the HP P1 & about 3/4" thick. Fully charged you can use for a few days(or better) without having to recharge it. It does unfortunately end up being the thicker stack when you're charging & playing at the same time

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #341 of 1,448
Thanks for the tip, I was looking for something like this for when I am on a long plane trip. Wasn't sure there was anything that would work! cheers

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #342 of 1,448
There is a smaller XP4000 version from Engerizier that does the same thing while slightly smaller.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #343 of 1,448
Yeah I noticed, this is great! that means it extends the life of both the Fostex and attached iDevice by a fair margin! They're all quite affordable too it seems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back