Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Sep 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #706 of 1,448
The CCK doesn't have anything to do with the HP-P1. The HP-P1 does not use USB. It uses some Apple protocol, limited by current hardware to 16/48k. Meaning that it can't send out higher rates out its optical port, since it didn't receive anything higher.

I play 24bit FLAC's. Only the 16 bit led lights up. No 88k led. No 96k led. No 192k led.

Just buy an iPad, CCK, and desktop dac and quit yelling at us.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #707 of 1,448
Quote:
The CCK doesn't have anything to do with the HP-P1. The HP-P1 does not use USB. It uses some Apple protocol, limited by current hardware to 16/48k. Meaning that it can't send out higher rates out its optical port, since it didn't receive anything higher.
I play 24bit FLAC's. Only the 16 bit led lights up. No 88k led. No 96k led. No 192k led.

Thanks, that's an answer!

I've already iPad/CCK/battery powered USB Hub/USB DAC (iBasso D7), that's why I was searching a more compact setup without CCK and bp USB Hub with HP-P1 .
But I'm not more interested in it anymore since 24 bit not possible and I don't want to downgrade from high res files.

Given that CLAS supports 24 bit officially (See here http://cypherlabs.com/images/pdfs/Cypher_Labs_AlgoRhythm_Solo_FAQ.pdf page 7) do you have it to test if it really pass 24 bit / xxx Khz files via coaxial out please?
Do you think CLAS does not use Apple protocol or USB?

PS I've already ask your pardon for shouting and I won't anymore. I hope we can go on.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #709 of 1,448
Quote:

I'm sorry to bother you again, pardon me, but I've still a doubt to be cleared since I've just discovered, thanks to saeyedoc, and tested that iPeng + in-app purchase of its player + Logitech Music Server is able to stream and officially supports 24 bit / 96 Khz to iPad or 24/48 to iPod Touch/iPhone with FLACs, so not only ALACs with iTunes Home Sharing is possible for bit perfect streaming 24 bit.
I'd like to know how you play those 24 bit FLACs, since if I use PlugPlayer I can play 24 bit FLACs but they're always downsampled to 16 bit to the external DAC, while using Flac Player or iPeng + LMS they remain at 24 bit.

I've started another thread in which I've mentioned your findigs with HP-P1 and I'd like to double check if infos posted there are accurate.

Thanks for your time.

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #712 of 1,448
Quote:
Don't kill me please.
iOS, Flac Player, HW/FW HP-P1 version?

biggrin.gif
 I've seen finger nails take less time to get pulled out!

Sep 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #714 of 1,448
... may I just ask... why? :-/

I mean... you already can reach *great* sound quality on-the-go with lossless (alac) or (if you're *that* peeky) uncompressed (aiff) 16/44.1 files that iTunes can manage without hassle. you really need a portable equipment to compete with a serious home stereo? :-/

just my 2c

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #715 of 1,448
Quote:
... may I just ask... why? :-/

I mean... you already can reach *great* sound quality on-the-go with lossless (alac) or (if you're *that* peeky) uncompressed (aiff) 16/44.1 files that iTunes can manage without hassle. you really need a portable equipment to compete with a serious home stereo? :-/

just my 2c

Yes I do want the best possible portable solution today, headphones systems compete already with home stereos and are cheaper in reaching similar performances. I've already tested and I appreciate a lot more 24 bit files vs 16 bit ones in configs reported in the thread mentioned before.
I'm a fortunate owner of a home stereo system which costs nearly 20.000 Euros, and I'm still trying to improve it, I swear!
I can't downgrade from that since I can't find any cheaper solution that gives me the same plesure level while listening to music.
If anybody else is happy with a Tivoli radio or an all-in one platic stereo at Euro 199,99 I don't have anything to complain, but I'm not.
I just don't know any cheap system that can gives me what I want, a super expensive 200.000 Euro system maybe neither.
Since I've not a room big enough to accomodate the Wiener Philharmoniker and Bill Evans is dead and not recruitable anymore, I've to find a different solution.

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #716 of 1,448
Quote:
Yes I do want the best possible portable solution today, headphones systems compete already with home stereos and are cheaper in reaching similar performances.

I'm a fortunate owner of a home stereo system which costs nearly 20.000 Euros, and I'm still trying to improve it, I swear!
I can't downgrade from that since I can't find any cheaper solution that gives me the same plesure level while listening to music.
If anybody else is happy with a Tivoli radio or an all-in one platic stereo at Euro 199,99 I don't have anything to complain, but I'm not.
I just don't know any cheap system that can gives me what I want, a super expensive 200.000 Euro system maybe neither since I've not a room big enough to accomodate the Wiener or Berliner Philharmoniker and Bill Evans is dead and not recrutable anymore...

I totally appreciate this. It is hard to downshift once you have a certain level of enjoyment.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #718 of 1,448
Finally I've received a Fostex reply:
"The HP-P1's S/PDIF just outputs what it receives from an iPod. The
rate varies depending on the iPod, but it's either of 16bit / 32Hz -
44.1Hz - 48Hz. This is the specification of iPod.
Please note the HP-P1 does not comply with iPad."

iPad not supported it's strange, but finally rouled out for 24 bit and pulled out, even if slower than my finger nails... 

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #719 of 1,448
Quote:

iPad not supported it's strange, but finally rouled out for 24 bit and pulled out, even if slower than my finger nails... 

biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #720 of 1,448
i saw this headphone dac/amp selling for $499 on sale same site where i bought a pair of sennheiser hd 650 for $209.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back