Fostex HP-P1 - Mac OS X
Apr 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pjvs

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi crew, 

I just bought a Fostex HP-P1, to my surprise it won't show up in my Sound preferences in OS X. I read a little more online and now starting to realize that maybe this beautiful device is only working with the iPhone / iPad. 

If indeed so, does it make sense to use the optical out on my MacBook Pro and MacPro and use that as input on the Fostex, or will I loose a lot of quality? 

I am looking for a setup that I can travel with and use in combination with my Sony CD3000. I thought that the Fostex would do the job, but I would really like it to work with my Mac's as well. 

Would love your feed back on this. 

Many thanks! 

PJ

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 8
I dont own a HP-P1, but looking at their website, Fostex doesnt mention a digital in, so the optical out from your laptop wouldn't work, though if it did, it shouldn't decrease quality, as a digital signal needs to be decoded to an analog signal, which is what the HP-P1 does, just like with an iPod or iPhone
Quote:
Hey Head-Fi crew, 

I just bought a Fostex HP-P1, to my surprise it won't show up in my Sound preferences in OS X. I read a little more online and now starting to realize that maybe this beautiful device is only working with the iPhone / iPad. 

If indeed so, does it make sense to use the optical out on my MacBook Pro and MacPro and use that as input on the Fostex, or will I loose a lot of quality? 

I am looking for a setup that I can travel with and use in combination with my Sony CD3000. I thought that the Fostex would do the job, but I would really like it to work with my Mac's as well. 

Would love your feed back on this. 

Many thanks! 

PJ

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
It would be sweet if there was a way to wrangle it into a DAC for other sources, though. Very sweet.

If that were possible, it would mean the ability to replicate Apples proprietary streaming/protocols, which would mean more items in the market for what the HP-P1 does, or at least items people could themselves install a firmware that would make the amp/DAC able to have this feature of decoding digital signal taken from the iPod.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 8
It is regrettable the HP-P1 won't take a signal from a computer via USB. Woulda thought that was something a firmware update could do. It would make it a killer component.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Which would rock!
Quote:

If that were possible, it would mean the ability to replicate Apples proprietary streaming/protocols, which would mean more items in the market for what the HP-P1 does, or at least items people could themselves install a firmware that would make the amp/DAC able to have this feature of decoding digital signal taken from the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back