Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Apr 13, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #226 of 401
Anyone seen/heard the Klipsch Heritage DAC/Amp? Balanced out and seems to have a lot more power than the Fostex. Looks are very 'Marmite' but personally I like it. Balanced amplifier and a single Sabre DAC
I read the review on Headfonia and it could be an option.

I have one and really like it. I have lcd-x plugged into the balanced output and yea, it puts out a ton of power.

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #227 of 401
I have one and really like it. I have lcd-x plugged into the balanced output and yea, it puts out a ton of power.
I bought the Fostex a few weeks ago and it sounds great. Much better, lower bass than my m9xx and nicely musical. With my HD6xx and balanced output, I'm running it at about 1 o'clock on the volume knob. Happy days.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #228 of 401
Thank you, that fixes part of the problem. I occasionally also play some games and there the issue is even worse. I'd like to know if this is just some driver issue or if it can't be fixed because that would be a deal breaker for me :/. Otherwise I really like the unit both for sound quality and it's functions.
I am sorry for the late reply, but I just purchased the HP-A4BL coming from the Schiit Fulla 2. I had the same problem especially in games. I went in the device properties under windows and turned off enhancements and forced the bit rate to 24/192. That solved my issue.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #229 of 401
Hey guys. I need your help.

I have a combo of A4BL + Emotiva A100 Bas X as my external amplifier for some hard cans.
And whenever I'm using my Shure 1540 I can hear EMI hiss A LOT (can hear much less with Senh hd600 and Shure 846). Those cans are pretty sensitive unline my many others (Fostex, Senh, Sony, M1060 etc)

If I USB cable is unplugged from A4 hiss is almost gone (stock silver cable). I thought that if i will get myslef AQ Jitterbug it will fix my problem but nope... no difference.

So my question is anyone of you have the same problem with A4 as DAC and what is the way to fix that? So should i go and buy some fancy USB A-B cable? Or I should get Linear Power Supply for A4? Anything?

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #230 of 401
I wonder if the problem might be more related to the computers USB interface and the way it interferes with its PSU. Can you try out another computer/laptop?

I can turn the HP-A4BL up fully and I don't think I've heard any hiss what-so-ever, although I've only tried over ear headphones (Fostex 610's and Fidelio X2's). That's without music playing.

I've seen some older threads suggesting using a powered USB hub helped - in their case it seemed to be a grounding issue.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #232 of 401
Have you tried hooking up the A4BL with optical connection instead of usb?

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #234 of 401
Not yet. Need to buy that cable first. On my list.

Fostex Products and Windows 10 / Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) Compatibility

We have not confirmed the compatibility with Windows 10 and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) for our USB DAC products yet. We will keep updating the compatibility status on our website.

In order to continue to use our USB DAC products, we recommend staying with the current OS for the time being.
Thank you for your kind understanding.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #235 of 401
Fostex Products and Windows 10 / Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) Compatibility

We have not confirmed the compatibility with Windows 10 and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) for our USB DAC products yet. We will keep updating the compatibility status on our website.

In order to continue to use our USB DAC products, we recommend staying with the current OS for the time being.
Thank you for your kind understanding.

As far as i know there is a new firmware on their official web... that adds compatibility. Once i bought it it was not detected under my 10.11.2 But once firmware was updated it's ok now.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #237 of 401
Get myself new UBS and interconnect cables. AQ Forrest and AQ Evergreen. Not much difference. Same with cheap optical cable.

Next on my list is to get UPS and connect all via surge. Will see :)

I did the driver download yesterday it showed up on my playback/sound but there was no hand shake between the two, no output. I used the optical connetion for now.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #238 of 401
I did the driver download yesterday it showed up on my playback/sound but there was no hand shake between the two, no output. I used the optical connetion for now.
I only purchased the Fostex last month @ Bic Camera. The driver was the only thing I installed on my Windows 10 Pro and currently hooked up via usb connection. I haven't been able to check the firmware of my unit as it requires a size 32 gigs sdcard and below (my lowest capacity sdcard is 64gigs).

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #239 of 401
The more I look at it, the more I am certain that Klipsch heritage amplifier is also a "collabration" between Klipsch and Fostex. So IMO it is like an updated Fostex HP-A4BL.
While it would look dope especially pairing up with my E-MU teak, I am afraid as soon as I get one, Fostex would immediately announce an actual updated version of HP-A4BL....

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #240 of 401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back