Forza Motorsport 2 Discussion Thread
Oct 1, 2007 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
Well, there's no question this game isn't as popular as Halo 3 but I was surprised to find an official thread hadn't been dedicated to this game back when it was finally released!

At any rate, I picked up a 360 the other day and got Forza 2 (along with Halo, of course) and I'm itching to talk shop with any other players on the boards. I have a lot of catching up to do, but it won't be long before I'm back to carving up the tracks in a finely tuned Porsche 911 GT2.

Come on in! Share your tuning tips, tricks and setups! Let's see your paintshop masterpieces!

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 13
Personally, I prefer the GT3, but lots not split hairs here
smily_headphones1.gif
In Forza 2, most of my time has been spent in my Lotus Elise Exige because it can easily adapt and fit most race qualifications (extremely light-weight, mid engine, relatively low stock horsepower)

I love Forza (1+2) - I bought each on the day of there release and purchased the Microsoft wireless force-feedback wheel just for Forza 2 (I don't use it in PGR3, and haven't enjoyed a rally game since Rallisport Challenge 2)

I love driving without the assists for the most part - it is nearly impossible to remain competitive without them using the wheel, and I have a lot of trouble driving without ABS under any circumstance.

Its a great game that I haven't put enough time into.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 13
Forza 2 is a great game! I love the level of detail that one can get into while tuning the car, and the live telemetry actually gives you hard numbers to tune with. My current car of choice (bear in mind i am at level 26 at the moment) is a finely tuned Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno. Without running forced induction (which is just too much power for that car and ruins the balance), I can easily tackle most other cars up to about 425-450 bhp. As far as the higher performing cars go, my favorite is the BMW V12 LMR. I don't know how they did it, but somehow, that car just behaves absolutely perfectly. Granted, it isn't technically as good as cars like the F333SP, but I set faster lap times. Given a flying start on the Nurburgring, if I recall, with the V12, my best time was a 6:26. I need to play it more, once this week of exams is done...

Aditya

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 13
I love this game, now GT4 is better, but the xbox controller is soo much better than ps2. My fav car is a 4wd Sparco Evo, this takes off like a MF but tops out at like 180 (something round ther ebut havnt played in a while) I must say that the endurance races are a joke in this game. If anyone has played any of the GT series they would know what a real endurance race is. And i dont find the tuneing or the specs on a car as good as the GT series. Other than that its a great game, but cant wait for GT5.

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 13
I'm a hardcore Gran Turismo fan, back in the day I bought Playstation 2 just because of the Gran Turismo series. However IMO Forza 2 is a better racing game than Gran Turismo 4, not in everything but overall. The physics, realism of the tracks, and selection of cars is much better in Forza 2 and that is more important to me than the advantages of Gran Turismo 4 which are the graphics and the tuning.

I definitely agree the tuning is much better/more important in GT4. I feel like it doesn't make that much of a difference in Forza2 and doesn't seem realistic atleast for the tuning that affects handling. Like adjusting camber in real life makes a huge difference not so much in Forza2. But in terms of physics GT4 is outclassed, in GT4 while braking you can still turn fairly easily or left foot brake a lot. In forza2 you better plan ahead because while braking hard you can't do much else just like in real life. This is of course with the aids turned off. It's much easier with the aids turned on.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Forza 2 is indeed a great game. I wouldn't quite call it a sim, but its fairly close, and most importantly, fun. I'm @ level 44, but haven't really played it in a while because there aren't many races left unlocked and I haven't had time to do any of the endurance races. That said, my favorite car so far would have to be the Super GT/JGTC Toyota Supra..it simply dominates in the R3 class and I just find it amusing (and sexy) to drive a V8 powered Supra. Haven't really tried much in the way of tuning, except for gear ratios and downforce. I was able to get around 260 mph out of my 900 h.p. Skyline but I think it's drag limited past that point =(

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 13
There's only one thing that Forza 2 has over the GT series, IMO, and that's the bonafide thrills associated with driving a car in the red... on a track with real (or at least realistic, in the case of offline driving) competition!

Once I got a taste for Forza, there was no going back to GT. Until Polyphony gets their heads out of their arses and fixes the "AI" in that game, I'm firmly in the Forza camp, despite other inferiorities.

When the driving is this good, anything else is just gravy.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Forza 2 has been taking up quite a bit of my time lately. Lots and lots of fun. Just upgrading and tuning the cars to get as quick as possible laps is plenty of fun. I figure roughly 3/4th of my time with the game isn't spent racing, but rather playing around test driving various cars and setups.

Two mayor problems with the game though:
1. None of the AI will use an upgraded car.
2. Partly because of 1, the game, offline, is too easy. I race will all the aids turned off, and it's still too easy. The Factory-Spec races are a bit of a challenge, but even there it's not very hard to take a couple seconds on each lap.

Currently at level 40, and it's a slow climb because I spend most of my time doing no racing at all.
biggrin.gif

The GT40, AC Cobra, Mustang Boss 429, etc, are an absolute hoot to drive though once they are fully upgraded. Drifting at 300+ km/h is great fun.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 13
Anyone else getting sucked right into the paint shop in this thing? I could finally afford my 911 GT3 last night (had to sell my poor Elise for it) and dedcided to paint it before it went on the track...

...next thing I know it's 1:30am and well past time for bed, so I still haven't taken it for a spin!

I'm sticking with simple, clean designs so far, but I can see this escalating quickly.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Why not make one instead of necromancing an ages old thread? In any case, yeah Forza 3 is one helluva game for a cargeek like me. Unfortunately no, I do not have Live. I refuse to pay to be able to play online, this is a principle of mine. As long as M$ keeps charging from it, it is no no for me. Its a dissapointment though, playing against computer (despite getting my arse kicked all the time) gets boring. Or perhaps that is the problem, on Hard computer plays smoothly and too perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back