Forward sound stage: Speakers to headphone.
Sep 4, 2003 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

london luke

100+ Head-Fier
I have entered into my first headphone set up with a medium quality system.

1, Marantz 63mk2 "KI" CDP
2. Hd 600's with stock cables.
3. MY new "Super Chairra" (See amp section)

having been use to good speaker systems for many years....

I am trying to understand the difference soundstages offered!!!

No matter what spaeaker system I used ..it was possible to have a good stage effect.

I find headphones offer good sound quality but with very very limited forward soundstage. My amp has a built in "Xfeed".

I try to close my eyes and "See the band etc " but its not realy working....

Is this a common problem when you change to headphones???

and what can be done to help!!!

cheers

Sep 4, 2003 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
having been use to good speaker systems for many years....
I am trying to understand the difference soundstages offered!!!
I find headphones offer good sound quality but with very very limited forward soundstage. My amp has a built in "Xfeed".

You'll never get the same stage effect of speaker from headphones... unless, have you tried binaural recrodings?
Binaural recordings with tube amplification truely made the stage happening in front of my eyes.

Rather than trying to match what speakers offer, headphone is like alternate listening. I always thought that *stage freaks* amongst speaker listeners would be dissapointed with headphones.

Granted, some fones/ amp/source combination would cast a better stage, particularly with tube amps. I haven't heard anything come close in terms of staging as speakers. ( thank god, it's not what I value most for music listening )
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Kuma

Cheers

thats what I was thinking... The brain knows the sound is coming forward towards you from a pair of speakers........ Maybe with all this new stuff I havent "burnt" my head into the new way of listening to music..... Need a few drinks a nd a late night maybe!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by london luke
Need a few drinks and a late night maybe!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Grado instruction manual: Consume cocktail consisting of 2 parts gin, 2 parts vodka, and one part tequila for excellent soundstage.

Seriously though the only headphones I have heard that create a believable soundstage in front of the ears is the AKG-K1000. There are better headphones out there in terms of detail and resolution but these are really fun to listen to. I don't find crossfeed to be truly effective so I think like Kuma said we will have to make do with one of the negative aspects of headphone listening---the "headstage".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back