Forum or Blog?
Jan 19, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 13
I prefer a forum, as it is more dynamic, and allows participation from many other people.

Also, posting of pics, searchable database, etc.

A blog is more linear and more of a one way "discussion". Blog is more of one person or group showing information, vs. a forum having instant communications.

-Ed

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 13
If you have participation from a group of people then a forum is the way to go. However, there's nothing worse than a forum where there are only one or two people posting.

On the other hand if you want to post your thoughts without the community necessarily having to share input but the ability to comment is there, then go with a blog. I think it gives a better impression.

High amount of group participation = forum
Low amount of group participation = blog

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 13
A Blog is a very "one way" type of interaction. A forum on the other hand allows for discussion and diverse topics which you wouldn't get in a Blog type atmosphere

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 13
From an SEO pov, a blog is much more search engine friendly. Google loves blogs more than any other type of content, and if your goal is to be indexed fast and gain broad exposure, a blog is a must.

Why not do both?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 13
Blog with a forum.
biggrin.gif

Blogs allow you to direct the flow of information/conversation better. After all, you want the focus to be on the company's business. Tacking on a forum removes the main weakness of a blog by centralizing discussions and allowing for comments.

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blog with a forum.
biggrin.gif

Blogs allow you to direct the flow of information/conversation better. After all, you want the focus to be on the company's business. Tacking on a forum removes the main weakness of a blog by centralizing discussions and allowing for comments.

yep give em both and see which thrives. stereophile does both, and their blogs really took off. stevehoffman? we all know the forums rule there.

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer a forum, as it is more dynamic, and allows participation from many other people...
A blog is more linear and more of a one way "discussion".-Ed

Thank you, Ed; my initial thoughts exactly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Blog is a very "one way" type of interaction.

Thanks, man.
Quote:

Blog with a forum.
biggrin.gif

I'm very interested in this navigation - how can I do this simply?

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 13
I voted blog. Reason being is a forum is only useful with critical mass, and that can be *very* tough to build. I mean think about how many people it takes to fuel all the discussions on a good forum like this one. There are probably hundreds of daily posters and thousands of weekly/monthly posters moving things along.

With a blog you can reach hundreds or thousands of people a day as a single entity. While the discussions are a little more controlled in that they can only comment on what you post, is that such a bad thing? Do you really need random people posting about whatever they want when the goal is 'promote your work'?

Through a blog they can discuss your work but you serve as a sort of mediator, like a teacher in a classroom. A forum is like the lunchroom - the mods are in many ways like security guards making sure the kids aren't out of line.

--Illah

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Blog...only because it allows you to craft your message (you did say this was promotional, right?) with minimal risk of getting slammed by the masses. All it takes is a couple of rabble rousers and loose-lipped insider to destroy a reputation you've worked so hard to create. If the purpose is solely to exchange information with a few people, then I would stick with regular old e-mail and just CC: everyone that needs to be involved.

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested in this navigation - how can I do this simply?

LSP's Enigma is a turnkey solution for this sort of navigation system.

http://www.lunabyte.net/

Front page is a blog with easy access to the forums, each blog post Comments link leads to a forum thread regarding the blog post.

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

LSP's Enigma is a turnkey solution for this sort of navigation system.

http://www.lunabyte.net/

Front page is a blog with easy access to the forums, each blog post Comments link leads to a forum thread regarding the blog post.

Nice link and concept; thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back