Apr 27, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

NeObliviscaris

Niiice!
Previously known as FeedMeTrance
How come no-one has posted about all this random new stuff:

---

Summit-Fi (High-End Audio)
High-end Audio Forum (opening soon)
Discussion of high-end audio. (This is where our "Sorry about your wallet" slogan will ring most true.)

---

Headphones (full-size)
Discussion of full-size headphones.
Full-Size Headphone Directory (coming soon)

Earphones and In-Ear Monitors (opening soon)
Discussion of earphones and in-ear monitors (IEMs).
Earphone and IEM Directory (coming soon)

Headphone Amps (full-size)
Discussion of desktop headphone amps.
Desktop Headphone Amp Directory (coming soon)

Portable Headphone Amps (opening soon)
Discussion of portable headphone amps.
Portable Headphone Amp Directory (coming soon)

Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories (DBT-Free Forum)
Discussion of cables, power (the electric kind), tweaks, & accessories.
I, Objectivist: The Objectivist Audio Forum (opening soon) If you feel the uncontrollable urge to use the word "placebo," in here is where you'll post (and only here). Discuss DBT all you want in here.

---

For Sale / Trade Forums

For Sale / Trade (and Feedback) Forums
Headphones | Headphone Amps | Sources
Cables & Misc. Items | Music/Videos
Feedback | Vendor Feedback | All

------

I am not a fan of the new Sale layout, I prefer the old one.

But new areas for IEM specific/Headphone Specific, and Desk Amp/Portable areas, interesting!

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 71
Interesting, but I only use the New Posts feature. Sub-Directories only apply to me if I feel the urge to start a new topic.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 71
But still no AKG section?
confused.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 71
I'm still not a fan of the DBT forum. Segregating an entire side of the debate into its own sub-forum does nothing, as no useful debates will ever go on there. The people who believe in magical silver pixie dust will stay in "their" forum, while anyone who dares ask for a bit of proof or evidence is shunned like a second-class citizen and shoved to the back of the forum.

The rest of the changes look fine.

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow DBT/Objective section. The real drama to be.

lol. I totally agree. I really wanted it to be called the "Skeptics cage" but "I, objectivist" has a certain ring too it. I think it's a very decision to make head-fi as a whole more usable and get away from people on a religious mission to save me money.

The other splits I am more than willing to give it some time before I judge it to be a good move or not. My only worry was that head-fi might not be big enough yet for such splits. If forums expereience a decrease in posts people will move to other sites (IMO).

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
By the way, my vote? Hot, soft pretzels in any number of configurations (although a sweet ... now and then can really hit the spot).

You officially have my support in the next election.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....My only worry was that head-fi might not be big enough yet for such splits. If forums expereience a decrease in posts people will move to other sites (IMO).

That's a legitimate consideration, and one that has been top of mind as I considered these types of changes. Even on our slowest days we're usually doing well over 2,000 new posts, and on busier days up to 3000'ish. I think we have the traffic to make the splits worthwhile (the headphone forum gets more than enough traffic for the split, so that one I'm not worried about at all). But, again, you're right to watch that, and so I'll be watching traffic in the other splits very carefully.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High end audio forum is redundant, DBT forum is absurd for the reasons Arainach laid out. Rest of the forums make sense enough.

I'm one of the people who definitely wants to give a high-end forum a try. Though we're still inherently focused on higher end headphone gear (relative to what the general public is willing to stomach, as far as headphone spending and consideration), there's still a higher end that was more proportionally more prevalent in our discussions in the earlier days of Head-Fi.org--discussions that a lot of us are still interested in, but finding harder to find amidst the other areas of Head-Fi'ing that are growing faster.

In my opinion (and the opinion of many other Members who've asked for these kinds of changes in the last couple of years), I think it's at least worth a go. If any of the changes are obvious failures, then we can reverse them. One example is our long-gone TIO (Take It Outside) sub-forum (which I know many of you still miss), which, in the opinions of many (including me), resulted in animosity that I thought too frequently escaped the confines of TIO.

We'll see how this goes. I'm pretty excited to get these opened up and going, though. I know not everyone's going to like the splits and changes, but I think these are changes worth trying.

b.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 71
Looking forward to these subforum changes and to see how they shake out in practice. I'm inclined to see their value in many instances...

Thanx for the efforts, all~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back